Any advice for a newbie

Options
Can any of you that are veterans on this diet with success please check my food log and see if I am doing this correct? When should I start seeing the scale move? I had a fainting spell the second morning after drinking green tea and found out that green tea might have an effect on me with my iron level. I cannot drink the green tea right now. I am on C1D4 today.

Replies

• DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Ignore the green tea, then. It's not a mandate -- it's an option. I don't ever drink it myself and I have had great success with the 17DD.

If you are fainting, you are not eating enough.

For those most part, it looks great. Right on track with food choices. I think you just need more food. Are you exercising? Exercise actually works as an appetite-suppressant and changes your metabolism faster.

Here are my suggestions:
    * Always eat your fruit at breakfast or at mid-morning. This gives you some energy to burn.
    * Add some flavored whey protein powder to your yogurt. It bumps up the protein, makes it stick to you better, and neutralizes the milk sugars.
    * Double your meat intake.

Question: Is the nutritional info for the turkey breast accurate? The sodium seems low. Almost all prepared meats have a larger sodium impact. Per serving, even chicken has 470mg. You probably do want to track your sodium accurately. It does make a different to your overall results.

You're welcome to view my diary as well. The lock is DONNA17DD.
  • kylesmom94
    kylesmom94 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am doing strength training (NROL for Women). The turkey breast was already in the food database so I assume it was correct. It was a Honeysuckle Boneless Turkey Breast Roast I bought before Christmas and thawed out and roasted. I don't eat a lot of salt period. I never add salt to anything I cook, but I will recheck the info on the Turkey Breast.

I have been thinking that I am just not eating enough. I mean I am not even eating the calories I need for my body on a total rest day.
  • DonnaLFitz
    Options
    With strength training you should probably eat more food. The ~1200 guideline is just a guideline. You have to adapt the basic plan to suit your own needs.

For me, the day after an intense workout (especially strength training), I always need to eat more. I tend to add an extra boiled egg at breakfast, a cheese round at lunch, and a slightly larger portion of meat at dinner. That's what works for me.

I think it is important nutrition-wise to eat at least 1200 calories. But I tend to net closer to 1000. Again, that's what works for me.

Good luck.
  • aash28
    aash28 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hey! Good advice! Make sure you don't add the whey though if you're on cycle 1; it's not permitted yet.
  • DonnaLFitz
    Options
    Hey! Good advice! Make sure you don't add the whey though if you're on cycle 1; it's not permitted yet.

I add it to Cycle 1 anyway. It's the best source of protein that doesn't add too much fat, calories, sugar, or sodium.
  • HBinOC
    HBinOC Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am starting the Diet Monday- although this past week I have incorporated a lot of the diet into my eating . I am curious as to what yogurt, probiotic anyone is eating. I like the greek yogurt but I find when I enter in my journal the sugar content is high- I am not a fan of Activia and the plain flavors that most come in - any suggestions.
  • DonnaLFitz
    Options
    I eat yoplait light and the nonfat light store brands. I add flavored whey protein powder to them to bump up the nutritional value and make them stick to my ribs better. I add either 1/2 or whole scoop, depending on what I need that day. You can buy the plain and add the flavored protein powder. The sugars will then be only about 14g (that's from the milk in the yogurt.)
  • Kristin24C
    Kristin24C Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    For the yogurt I always just used whatever FF flavor I wanted. I know it was high in sugar but its the tastiest thing you can have on the diet for a while so thats how i treated myself :)
  • HBinOC
    Options
    I am on Week 2 of the17 Day diet- I am finding I am not craving junk food- so I am not eating very much- I am plain not hungry. I have been averaging around 600-900 calories in my log- I have lost 3lbs so far - I just don't want to mess my metabolism up but isnt this part of they cycle?? Reducing calories then reintroducing foods at a slower rate? Tonight I had 1 piece of Talipia, Asparagus- some cucumbers - I, really was full , but forced a yogurt to bump up the meal in calories... Any advice?
    I am 5"4 151lbs.
  • Janey82
    Janey82 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I also like Greek yogurt too. I eat Stonyfield oikos plain Greek yogurt and add a packet of Truvia. But once a while I'll treat myself with the Greek yogurt with fruit in it, but I'll count that as 1 fruit serving and 1 probiotic serving.
  • Janey82
    Janey82 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am on Week 2 of the17 Day diet- I am finding I am not craving junk food- so I am not eating very much- I am plain not hungry. I have been averaging around 600-900 calories in my log- I have lost 3lbs so far - I just don't want to mess my metabolism up but isnt this part of they cycle?? Reducing calories then reintroducing foods at a slower rate? Tonight I had 1 piece of Talipia, Asparagus- some cucumbers - I, really was full , but forced a yogurt to bump up the meal in calories... Any advice?
    I am 5"4 151lbs.

I don't get in enough calories either. I'm on my last day of cycle 1. I would just munch on a few veggies ( carrots, celery, cucumber...) in between meals, bu if your full then don't worry about it. I don't and I feel fine.
  • HBinOC
    Options
    Thanks!
    I tend to over analyze things. I am just going to go with it - If I am not hungry and eating the right foods I am not going to worry about it.
  • DonnaLFitz
    Options
    As long as you are eating your fruits, veggies, lean proteins, and dairy servings, you should be okay.

Since I workout heavily most days, I add an Atkins bar as a mid-afternoon snack, protein powder to my morning yogurt, and a small ice cream treat in the evening. Even so, my average net calories is only about 1200.

I've lost quite a bit of weight with this diet. I am, in fact, deciding how much more I want to lose. I'm older, so skinny isn't very attractive. Healthy is the key.