When do you work out? What do you do for fitness?

Options
ErinBEW
ErinBEW Posts: 45 Member
With hubby working long hours each day (of course! bleh!), working part time from home, a 3-y-o who stays home with me and a new baby, carving out time to work out is a challenge. I've learned that the best time for me is in the evening after 8pm - that's when my 3-y-o goes to bed. Hubby is home by then and he can watch the baby. Then it's me time! And can i just say that I'm starting to fall in love with workig out. I have never had a steady workout routine, but now I get to lock myself in a room, not listen to anyone crying, and get my *kitten* kicked! ha!

I'm alternating Zumba and Jillian Michael's 30-day shred. I'm new to Zumba, and it's fun! I hardly notice the time passing like I do with the 30-day shed. I also have Insanity and I think hubby and I might start that pretty soon. I had some success with Insanity last year but got sloppy and stopped working out entirely due to a PCS... ahhh... military life! ;)

- Erin

Replies

• bridgeo74
    bridgeo74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I like to do Just Dance, Zumba, and Biggest Loser on the Wii. 30DS is only 20 minutes, but sure does seem longer. I also have an elliptical I occassionally get on. My family just started to do geocaching, and I have counted that as walking. We also bowl a lot and my daughter and I like to roller skate.
    I REALLY like exercise that doesn't really seem like exercise!!! Stuff that is fun and not dreadful!!!
    If you have other "fun" ideas, let me know!!!
  • Pandahead
    Pandahead Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Generally, I find if I don't get it done first thing in the morning, I'm probably not going to do it. By the time I get my brood into bed, I just want to relax and do some writing. It's hard to get up a little earlier in the morning, but when I do, it feels great to not have to worry about my workout the rest of the day.

My back-up is the afternoons when my youngest is down for a nap and the big kids are still in school (right after lunch).

As soon as I get over this bug, I'll be doing P90X mixed with Turbo Jam. (I love Turbo Jam.) I'd so much rather work out at the gym, but we live off-post at the moment and it's not practical to drive on-post every day just to use the gym. (We don't live that close to post!) Next year, we should be in housing, and I'll go to the gym. (I used to be a gymrat--gosh, I miss those days, and my wardrobe from those days! LOL)
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    i have a bike in my living room so when the baby is sleeping and my 3 year old is at head start, or watching her show i can hop on it
  • Sheriemae
    Options
    I've got the morning routine down, I do 15 minute pilates and run a 5K 5-6 days a week. I was doing the 30DS in the evenig when I got home from work, but I've been slacking with it. Yesterday should have been my last day, but that didn't workout so well:( I can't seem to find the motivation I need at night. I think doing the same DVD every night was really getting old. Maybe I should switch back to something fun like TurboJam or Zumba in the evening.
  • navywifeandmomof4
    navywifeandmomof4 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    usually Tues-Monday after i get the 4 y/o off to preschool i walk/run on the treadmill. I'm doing the bridge to 10k plan.was doing 30 day shred but haven't done it in awhile thinking about starting that up again in Jan.
  • meredithashton
    meredithashton Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I usually like to do 45-60 minutes on the Cybex Arc Trainer at my local Planet Fitness as much as I can (I try for everyday, but normally go 4x/week) and I do like a modified Intensive Training my husband showed me from when he was in bootcamp. (He looked fabulous when he got home so it certainly did him justice!). I am really trying to get into weight training and doing free weights and other things at my own house, but I just can't get motivated when I am not at the gym or if I am not with a friend or trainer. Next week I am signing up for Boot Camp Workout classes twice a week for a month...We shall see how that goes!! =) They're expensive so I hope they're worth it!

~Meredith
  • Pinupdollrawr
    Pinupdollrawr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I try to walk, hit the gym if i can (elliptical and weights) , we got our girls just dance 3 for this years xmas and i opened it early :-X so i do that when they are at school lol. (don't judge me) lol
  • Ittee
    Ittee Posts: 285
    Options
    I prefer to work out in the mornings as I'm now a stay at home mom, and my kids are in school. But if I don't do it the minute I drop them all off, I tend to not do it. And I have no energy by evening (I'm naturally a morning person anyhow).

I do Chalean Extreme weight training dvds from BeachBody three days a week, and go to the gym twice a week with another wife (she's not consistent) or take my son in the evenings (he loves going and playing).

Since my husband is no where near a base, he gets a gym membership to YMCA and he (or family) has to use 8 times a month or he loses it. Well, he works about 18 hour days 5 days a week, mostly all day Saturdays, and often half days Sundays. So it's up to me to use the membership.

I love going, but I am suspicious of the weight training machines since I started using them (with a trainer) that I now have a hip labral tear.

Oh and when my husband is home we love to hike together (and kids are just now starting to like it as well).
  • Jenniferrosesmyth
    Jenniferrosesmyth Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Right now I just walk. I am not allowed to strength train again yet. Hopefully in another month I will be allowed again.
  • KelLifts
    KelLifts Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I used to work out around 10am when my youngest would take a nap... He is fighting naps now so I work out after all 5 of the kids go to bed. Usually around 7:30-8pm.... I am currently doing Insanity. I also use my elliptical when in the mood.
  • SpitfireStacey
    SpitfireStacey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am the worst for workouts. I just hate it still. we bought a treadmill and when my daughter was around 1 I managed to use it every day and lost a ton of weight really fast and easily because husband was gone. Now we still have the treadmill and I still say it's the best money we ever spent (if you get one, go high in the price range to get a gym-quality one) but I wish I was more inclined to use it now. My latest thing is that I want a bike. I think if i sat on a stationary bike I could read my book and cycle for an hour and it'd be better than sitting on my *kitten* down here and reading... however, husband is not keen on that idea! Thru the end of summer I was walking 4miles every day with a neighbour but the neighbour seems to have ditched me completely since her husband got home (I'm hurt by this) so we've not been doing it and I suck at motivating myself to do it alone. we have P90X and Insanity here but again, unless I do them while baby naps, I wont do them with my husband watching so they don't happen either! God I'm so lazy! Typing this out makes me seem terrible!
  • MommaSchwag
    MommaSchwag Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher, 35 hours a week, and then I work at Applebee's 2 nights a week, so time to work out is a precious commodity. I get up at 5:30 a.m. every morning just to get myself and our 3 year old out the door at 7:00 to get to work and daycare, so mornings workouts are out. My workout time is in the late afternoons/evenings on Mon, Wed, Fri. I lost the majority of my weight with workout DVDs, Jillian Michaels' are my faves. Last year, I got into running and ran my first half-marathon this past August. My hubby gets home everyday at 3:30, so I can squeeze in a quick run those days. I am going to start training for a full marathon starting in February. On days I don't run, I still love my Jillian Michaels' DVDs. 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30, Extreme Shed and Shred and 6 Week Six Pack are my go-to's. I will admit that I really struggle with guilt, I work a 7.5 hour day away from my son, and then when I come home, I feel so guilty going out for a run. I counter that with working out at home when I can. My son even joins in with me, he loves when mommy exercises! But, the way I feel and how much healthier I am now, I know that this makes me the best for my family and I am setting such a good example for my son and husband (hubby doesn't like to workout so much). I don't feel so guilty running on the weekends, so I think I enjoy running on those days best.
  • marine_wife0520
    Options
    I've gotten a little lazy the last couple of weeks with my mom visiting and the holidays but I usually exercise during my son's nap time while my daughter is at school
  • Ittee
    Ittee Posts: 285
    Options
    mommaschwag: amazing commitment. Just reading your schedule made me tired, and I'm about to join a similar schedule now that I've found a teaching position in our new town. Only downside is hubby is never home, we're hours away from a base thanks to recruiting duty, and so I'm solely responsible for kids.
    Don't feel bad about being away on a run, it gives your husband and son alone time to bond, which is very important.
  • MPwife10
    MPwife10 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have to little ones and my husband is deployed so I take them to the gym daycare on days they have it which is 5 times a week...so I work out there for about 2 hours a day. I am starting to do my Wii Active game that I bought last year and I did it for a while but stopped. My favorite thing to do is go walking with my girls at the park (they love walking the track with momma) but its getting way to cold for that :(
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I enjoy mid-morning after breakfast. However when my husband is home like he will be this week he wants to workout at lunch time which messes with my routine. Currently with no job or kids if I don't workout I feel really lazy and unproductive, for obvious reasons, lol. In the past I joined Curves which I got great results from but after moving I quit going due to lack of a near location. Since I have joined mfp, cut calories, eating healthier, and working out with dvds and gotten less results :( I LOVE Jillian dvds but no real results other than better stamina and endurance. This past month and this month I have been going to the fitness center here at my apt, where I have first used an elliptical and loving it, plus doing the new Jillian Shed and Shred. My goal this month is striving for Shed and Shred 4x a week and elliptical 30-60 minutes up to 5x a week. I thought about rejoining Curves but seems silly and wasteful when I can use gym on base for free (once I get military ID), fitness center at apt for free and the dvds I have at home.
  • orionling
    orionling Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I try to work out first thing in the morning after my oldest 3 have gotten on the school bus (I will either run on the elliptical, treadmill or put my youngest in the running stroller and run on the trail. I have until 11 before my son comes home from preschool. On days when we have things going on in the morning, I will workout after putting my 2 year old down for a nap.
  • marinah8
    Options
    I try to get my workouts in while my 5 year old is at school, if I don't feel like going to the gym I do kettlebells or insanity depending on what mood I am in.
  • amandabcdefg
    amandabcdefg Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I try to get my 30 day shred or pilates in during the afternoon, and get to the gym for cardio and some strength when my husband finally gets off of work.
  • MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Zumba every day - alternating between 60 & 30 minutes. On my 30 minute Zumba days, I do Kettlebell & bodyweight exercises.