Net carbs

Options
Hi all,

I was curious about your experience with counting carbs minus fiber - I hadn't even heard the term "net carbs" until fairly recently! While a lot of foods don't have enough fiber to make all that much of a difference in total gram consumption, I do eat things with enough to possibly make a difference. I've tried to observe and note patterns but I've honestly not noticed much of a difference (maybe the difference in carb totals just aren't enough to have noticeable results on my blood sugar)..

Anyhow, I asked my endocrinologist about it and she recommended only subtracting half of the amount of fiber as a general rule..

What are your experiences/thoughts?

Replies

• type1foodie
    Options
    I never subtract for fiber.
  • wannabthin65
    wannabthin65 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have never subtracted fiber. I wonder if I am overdosing my insulin although I rarely ever eat enough fiber to reach the amount MFP allows me.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I was wondering where my doctor came up with subtracting half - I should have asked but I didn't want to spend any more time there :smile:

The idea really appealed to me a while back when my goal was to eat as few carbs and take as little insulin as possible - though less carbs can = less fiber to subtract in the first place.

Since I've been keeping a food diary here I've become more lenient with my carb intake so that's why I've been extra curious about the net carb issue..
  • tmehlhop
    Options
    I was told that if the food you are eating has more than 5g of fiber in it, you subtract the fiber from the total carbohydrates. For example, your food has 30g carb and 7g fiber, your net carb would be 23g and that is what you would bolus for.
  • SJWojo
    SJWojo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been insulin dependent for more than 50 years and started using the MiniMed insulin pump almost two years ago. I took a class on pump management and, in prder to tell the pump how much insulin to bolus, you need to tell it how many carbs you’re eating. I was instructed to deduct the amount of fiber grams from the carb grams and the resulting figure is what I tell my pump. My pump will deliver the correct bolus of insulin, based upon my net carb intake. Once you determine your correct insulin to carb ratio, the rest is easy.
  • KLK1986
    KLK1986 Posts: 89
    Options
    I was told that if the food you are eating has more than 5g of fiber in it, you subtract the fiber from the total carbohydrates. For example, your food has 30g carb and 7g fiber, your net carb would be 23g and that is what you would bolus for.

I was told this same thing by both my certified diabetes educator and my nutritionist that I had to meet with prior to beginning with my first insulin pump. I use this as my general rule. However, I also subtract fiber if it makes up 40% or more of the total carbs, which is often the case with vegetables!
  • tarakay84
    Options

I was told this same thing by both my certified diabetes educator and my nutritionist that I had to meet with prior to beginning with my first insulin pump. I use this as my general rule. However, I also subtract fiber if it makes up 40% or more of the total carbs, which is often the case with vegetables!

I was told the same thing. Only count the fiber if its 5 or more.

I just went for my pre pump appt and we talked about this in detail.
    Net carbs is the total amount of digestable carbs, if u hv more fiber its harder
    To digest so ur body works harder to digest it, which requires less insulin.

That is how I understand it anyways. I am in no way an expert about it tho. But dies make more
    Sense to me since stuff like veggies hv more fiber, they are complex carbs not simple.

;-)