Staying on Track.. Kind of?

Options
swimmphish
swimmphish Posts: 13 Member
So, I have been having this debate with myself. Eating not so great- but still staying under calories for the day? Or exercising enough to be able to accommodate your bad eating? I still feel like this is cheating myself! But now I've been stuck on this run of eating out/eating bad and am having trouble getting back on track! What do you guys think?

Replies

• sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    When just starting out, you shouldnt try to change everything. Work on one thing at a time.

Start with staying within your calorie goal. Once you have that figured out and are doing it easily enough, then start working on better eating habits. You'll find that when you make healthier choices in food decisions, you'll be able to eat more because they are going to be lower in calories than those "bad" items you've been having all along.

Now dont worry about taking out those "bad" or "Cheat" items entirely. If you dont allow yourself to have those things you love on occasion (not every day) and in moderation then real cheating becomes a problem.

My husband and I have a very small dish of ice cream a couple times a week, or may eat out at our favorite fast food every now and then, but we factor this all in and make sure not to go outside our calorie goal and we also make healthier choices when it comes to selecting off the menu. As a matter of fact we are going out for buffalo wings this weekend with hubby's best friend to celebrate birthdays. I may not have much for breakfast or lunch that day just so I can enjoy myself at dinner. However I wont be ordering as much as I used to back in the day, moderation is the key here.

We also work out 4-5 times a week as well. Saturday I'll be sure to get exercise in for those extra calories that I can spread around in my meals also. I definitely dont want to starve myself all day just for that dinner. That really wouldnt be worth it.

Hopefully I've given you a little insight and helped. Feel free to ask anything you want and I'm always open to friends!
  • belliott08
    Options
    I totally understand. I talked to my exercise therapist about this & he said that, at first, it is completely okay. You don't want to go from fast food, junk food, to nothing but fruits & veggies & working out. Your body won't know what is going on. He said that if I still want a hamburger, to eat a hamburger but try to leave off the mayo, cheese, ect. Just take it day by day & slowly change your eating habits & to keep exercising!!!! Good luck!! ! :)
  • swimmphish
    swimmphish Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! This helps!