Have you experienced it?

How do you define it?

Replies

• mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Yes it exists

Only once (at least I think I did)

Love is someone who you deeply care for, will go beyond the call of duty for the other person, someone to be able to be open and honest with. And much more...... Love is great! I totally believe in it and one day I will be in love for the rest of my life :)
  • JThomas61
    Options
    I think it does....I believe that I have experienced it when I was 18. She was perfect to me in everyway, I thought she was actually out of my league. I knew her since I was 12, my brother married her aunt and from the moment I saw her I thought I am going to marry her one day. Well we were together for 3 years, the best 3 of my life, then like most guys will do, I did something stupid, not once but twice. I devestated her trust in me. I thought the best way to fix it would be to join the Air Force and move away and then we could get married and start over. Well I joined the military and once I got to my 1st base I asked her to come and she said she couldn't because of what I had done. I was devestated but understood it was because of my own actions. I knew she was the one because I always wanted to be with her, I wanted to take care of her, I wanted her to be happy and I cared about her more than I did myself. I would have gladly given my life for her. I can't for the life of me figure out why I did what I did but I did it.

I tried to contact her 4 years after I joined the Air Force by writing a letter, she responded and said that would be the last time and that If I loved her as much as I said I did, then I would respect her wishes and never contact her again.

Now 32 years later I think about her every day and I get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach knowing that she was the one I was meant to be with. But to prove I loved her that much I have respected her wishes. She will never know but I will never forget!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) When you care for that person more than yourself and you know that life without that person would never be the same.
  • Amayrial
    Amayrial Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    1. yes it exists

2. I thought I had it, thought I'd found it. 15 years later, he decided the answer was no.

3. I define it as the love for someone who lightens my day (and I can lighten theirs) by a single call, text, email. Someone I'd do anything and everything for. Someone without whom I my life would irrevocably different. The person I want to wake up next to for the rest of my life.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.

~Robert Heinlein

There are many things his characters have said and done in his novels and short stories that I disagree with or that have outright horrified me, but on this one, I think he nailed it.

The problem of course is when the other person doesn't love you back. That is a situation you need to get out of immediately, or better yet, not put yourself in to begin with. I suppose you could say that, no matter how you feel about someone, if they don't feel the same for you, it isn't 'true love'.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Yes & it came from my parents
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely

Yes, intense!

You just know! That person is part of you and your life. And without them there is a missing link. And that feeling never dies! :brokenheart:
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Yes
    Yes
    You just know.

I think I know. When I was 17 I fell in love. Maybe the newness of it, the intense emotions put the love on a pedastal but nonetheless it was something I haven't experienced since.
    I think real true love is when you love someone and they come first. Honestly, I haven't loved like that. I've loved selfishly. If I ever get the chance to have someone's heart again, I will cherish it!!! It took a lot of growing up and reflecting on myself to realize I didn't know what true love was.
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    Options
    It exists

I have experienced it, and it was the most heart breaking experience I've ever undergone.

You know because you care far more about them than you care about yourself. I would have done anything for him, and I thought he felt the same way. Unfortunately, he didn't.

One day, it will be mutual (not with him, with the right one for me).
  • BlondeLisa1
    BlondeLisa1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else think of The Princess Bride when reading the title of the thread?

Ditto others. Yes, yes and you just know. But true love don't mean perfect love, just the the love is so strong regardless of the imperfections. It's a beautiful gift. I miss it. It's been 16 years. I hope to have it again.
  • CarolAnn0730
    Options

. But true love don't mean perfect love, just the the love is so strong regardless of the imperfections. It's a beautiful gift.

YES ...

When you find it you'll know no other feeling like it ...

It's knowing your best friend and lover are one in the same - and no matter how long you are together - you can't wait till you see them again! You know their happiness is the most important thing to you!!