Engagement Photos - anyone taken them?

Options
TNTwedell
TNTwedell Posts: 277 Member
We just booked our photographer (phew) and now scheduling Engagement Photos.
Im not thrilled about the timing because I havent reached any of my fitness/weight goals yet - but I have to get them done soon.
Has anyone taken their photos - were they more casual/dressy/etc?
I have no idea what I want our photos to look like - need suggestions.
Thanks so much ladies - :) xoxo

Replies

• kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    We got ours done about 6 weeks ago and they were SO much fun! We started outside next to an old building with some cool backgrounds and then walked around the downtown area, we found a barn and some little areas amongst the trees. We ended at the brewery downtown for some casual pics. It really has less to do with the area and more to do with you guys! I've seen some done in the woods and that's it and they were awesome!
    I had three outfits- one was a pink and black dress that I wore with a black shrug, tights and black heels. The second was a pair of dark jeans with a black sweater and the third outfit was a pair of jeans with a Tigers jersey. For us, it has meaning because we are having our ceremony at Comerica Park in Detroit, where they play! My fiance wore the same jeans and long sleeved black polo for all the shots but did change into his jersey too. He is NOT a dresser-upper so I thought his outfit went with both my dressy and casual look. I've seen SO many engagement pics recently and they really should just be all about what you two like and places you like! Just have fun, we did and they turned out great. Hopefully you have an awesome photographer who will make you laugh!! It's a lot less stressful than the wedding day ;)

Since we are friends, you can check out a few that I put under my photo's on my page!
  • TNTwedell
    Options
    did you get your hair/makeup done for that day? or do it yourself...
    LOVE IT! We actually discussed wearing our jerseys too (fiance and I graduated from rival schools - its a BIG deal in our family) :)
    I saw those on your page & thought how adorable they were! Im stealing ;)
    I like the casual idea - i am not much of a "dress" girl & its going to be so cold here - brrrr.
    3 outfits sounds like a better idea then what I originally was thinking - since I havent found a location yet, Im not sure if the atmosphere will call for more sophisticated or laid-back attire.

Oh yea - Im also stealing the fact that your man only had one outfit ;) ... since I have to dress BOTH of us too - not having to stress about his clothes too will make planning just that much easier.

I almost feel like these photos are going to be more important/meaningful in the years to come then the fancy ones for the wedding - these shots are going to be the "real us" and I want to make sure its reflected.
    guess as long as we're together & happy - it really doesnt matter what our background/wardrobe looks like (gag, mushy) but still.. :) haha.
  • kerriBB37
    Options
    I'll message ya!
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have not gotten engagement photos taken and my fiance and I were tossing around the idea of maybe not getting any. But then again we maybe wanted a really nice picture of us to put on display at our reception.

How far in advance do you have engagement photos taken? Do they take long to come in?
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Got mine taken in October!!

I was about 10 pounds heavier than I am now, which stinks, but all you need is 3-5 really nice shots to use in STDs and whatever else.

We had two outfits: one dressier and one casual. I got my hair and makeup done for free! Makeup at a Clinique counter in the mall, hair at a salon--I had a coupon for a free blow out!! But I think they would have come out just as nice, really, if I'd done my own hair. It was just fun.

For backgrounds, we used the park by our house for one set, and an area the photographer recommended for the others. We had a nice mix--some on train tracks, some under a big willow tree, some on a funky bridge....and we had a lot of fun!

My only advice is to book a sesison longer than an hour, if you can. It took us a good 20-30 minutes to really "warm up". We've never done photos before and so the first batch of photos looked really anxious/posed/weird, but the photos taken about 30 minutes in looked much more natural.

We had a lot of fun! I hope you do, too!
  • amylynna1
    amylynna1 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am looking to get my pictures in the next 3-4 weeks! What sort of outfits do you all recommend?
  • kacylaine
    kacylaine Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    We got ours done...my photographer is my best friend so that helped. We were totally comfortable. My profile pic is one of our engagement pics. We did totally casual, mostly candid. I LOVE them that way, they captured the essence of who we are, both together and individually. She did awesome. In every one of them you can see that we love, we laugh, and we are the best of friends, too. I don't care that I'm not at my ideal weight in them, they captured incredible moments of who we were right then. So much fun!
  • kacylaine
    kacylaine Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Ok I put all the ones I had on my work computer on my profile if you want to take a look :happy:
  • TNTwedell
    Options
    I have officially booked my photographer for next week - EEEEK!
    My fiance and I debated about getting them done as well - it seemed like "just one more added cost" but then, I really like the idea of having some really great photos of us that are more "natural" and can go around the house and not be sooo wedding-y. You know!
    And how often do you get an excuse to have professional pictures taken of yourself without it seeming too vain. HAHA

Im annoyed about the timing - I really havent been working at ALL on my diet this past week - so I certainly wont be in "tip top" shape for these photos - but Kerri mentioned to just have her MAKE me look skinny & i'll be all good.

Im going to take 3 outfits - one super casual in our jerseys (HUGE sports couple here), one in good jeans/sweater and one dress - I figured I would let the scenary and photographer guide me. I am dressing Stevie is just one outfit (minus the jersey).
    He is just going to be in layers & we'll take off/add on if we need too (collared shirt, sweater & blazer - with jeans & sneakers).

I finally met my photographer in person last week and I ADORE HER - we went to her studio and she offered us beer (at 2pm on a Sunday - LOVED her immediately). She seems fun, funky & "gets it" so Im hoping that my trust in her is warranted & she does an amazing job. We'll see

The only thing I dont have time for - is researching a makeup person. I really wanted these photos to give me a chance to test-run my makeup person, but with 1 week notice, Im skeptical Im going to find anyone good.
    I'll keep you posted!
    xoxo
  • kerriBB37
    Options
    YoU should google airbush makeup artists in your area. It's the best for photos! :)
  • Joanie823
    Options
    I had engagement pics done, and one of hte main reasons we got them done is bc they were with our wedding photographers, and we got to get use to them so when it comes time for the wedding, we will feel super comfortable around them. They now know our style, and we got to "try them out" so we know what quality of photos to expect. I recomend getting them done to any bride to be :) Hope you have fun!!