January weather, can you ride?

Options
skmolove
skmolove Posts: 191 Member
Hi everyone,
I am wondering who out there can ride in January... its winter in southern PA so its a rareity. BUT last Saturday the sun was shining and the temp reached 60degrees. Hubby & I went for a ride, LOVED IT!!!!

Replies

• streetgliderider
    Options
    I live in Kentucky and Saturday it was in the 60's as well. Went for a ride, such a rarity - a January ride in Kentucky. The sun was shining and it was beautiful. Can't wait for the spring.
  • Karlaki
    Karlaki Posts: 74
    Options
    I ride year-round. Of course it's not a big claim since I live in Florida. I do occasionally have to wear leather - chaps, jacket, gloves, etc.
  • Tamber1969
    Tamber1969 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hahaha...NH. We don't get out on 2 wheels much here in January. There isn't any snow but lots of salt on the roads and I personally HATE being cold! :)
  • mapinkerton
    Options
    I live in Houston Texas and we can pretty much ride year round. This past weekend it was in the mid 70's and I rode in a t-shirt and mesh jacket. The weather changed last night. Now I will have to wear leathers and warmer clothing.

I have a part-time job at an independent motorcycle shop and ride my bike there whenever possible. It tends to bring in more customers when there are bikes parked in front of the shop!
  • yulinerinwang
    yulinerinwang Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Haha I wish! But I live in Vancouver... So it is a NO and NO.. Dark ice everywhere..
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,791 Member
    Options
    Live in Portland Oregon. About 31 degrees, but dry. I rode in to work today. Very cold at 4am, but it will be workth it on the drive home when it warms up to a balmy 45 degrees.
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    We ride year round - florida is great for that. We road a couple of hundred miles last weekend first up to Jacksonville and then down to Daytona. A warm spring-like day. this weekend the high is only supposed to be 45, so probably going to be a weinie and not ride.
  • yulinerinwang
    Options
    We ride year round - florida is great for that. We road a couple of hundred miles last weekend first up to Jacksonville and then down to Daytona. A warm spring-like day. this weekend the high is only supposed to be 45, so probably going to be a weinie and not ride.

Decision made. I'm moving to Florida tomorrow. Haha.
  • debloves2ride
    Options

come on down! The more the merrier - Florida has a lot of women riders also! It always surprises me when we go through other states that you don't see many women riders.
  • yulinerinwang
    Options

come on down! The more the merrier - Florida has a lot of women riders also! It always surprises me when we go through other states that you don't see many women riders.

Right. Not many in Vancouver area. Hot ones are even rarer. That's why I have to be one. LoL.
  • starryk
    starryk Posts: 53
    Options
    Hamilton, Ontario here - rode New Years day! Loved it! And then on the 7th it was nice enough to be out for a couple hours in the afternoon - now the cold is moving in! YUK
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I'm in the NC mountains, so it often dips in the single digits. I do ride some, but have to watch where/when. There is always the concern of a random patch of ice, especially when I get into higher elevations. My bikes are also carbed, so sometimes there are a little unhappy on those cold mornings.

I wear a 2-piece Tourmaster suit to keep the cold out. Works pretty good unless is REALLY cold.

JM
  • klynthom
    klynthom Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No we live in Iowa! But this has been an unusually warm and dry winter this year, even after New Year's we were able to ride. When I am such a hard core biker whatever am I doing in this state?
  • thom10034
    Options
    I live in northern Illinois, but about two weeks ago it was 60 for a few days and you can bet I had the bike out those days. Two days later the temperature dropped and we had 5 inches of snow on the ground. Now we are looking to get another 6 or so today. Only a couple more months and it will be riding season. I just have to keep telling myself that......
  • mapinkerton
    Options
    It is unseasonably warm right now in Houston Texas! Supposed to get to 80 degrees today. Hubby and I rode all morning in t-shirts and mesh jackets and STILL broke a sweat when we stopped.

I am leading my first group ride tomorrow morning with our HOG Chapter. Highs in the upper 70's and we are riding to Galveston.
  • alisonst76
    Options
    northern Alberta, we have snow from October to April :sad: :sad: :sad

very short but intense season here!

Retirement plan is to buy a toy hauler and tour around the southern States. (In 30 or so years):sad: :sad: :sad:
  • the_journeyman
    Options
    A slightly warm spell allowed me to ride to work this morning, even though it was still raining. Going to be clear nearly 60F this afternoon, so I really wanted to be on the bike!

JM
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,791 Member
    Options
    Just looked at the 10 day forecast for the PNW. Thursday and beyond looks like sunny weather. Low's upper 30's. Highs Mid to high 50's.

It ain't t shirt weather, but I can't wait.
  • Karlaki
    Karlaki Posts: 74
    Options
    I rode this weekend. Started out in a leather jacket then went to mesh as the day warmed. Gorgeous day! These are the days that make me happy that I don't live in Washington (state) any more. Especially with the weather they've been having lately! I had friends without power during that last storm for 5 days! Yikes!
  • the_journeyman
    Options
    I rode to work today, despite the 15F temps. It was only in the 40s on the ride home. I just prefer riding to driving if I can manage it.

JM