Options
atomiclauren
atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
Where do you go? What do you get?

Replies

• macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    We eat Mexican food quite a bit. I can get the fajitas and eat the meat with a corn tortilla and guacamole and it's not that bad. At Nikko Nikko's, I'll get the falafel and a salad. Fadi's is good, and I get hummus and veggies.
  • atomiclauren
    Options
    Mmmmmm - I haven't been to either of those in a while. My downfall is Ruchi's - it's close and open late. We end up splitting a la carte items and I have to really watch the chips! Have you been to La Hacienda? I haven't yet but I've been eyeballing it from across the freeway :smile:

Over the weekend we tried out the Green Seed Vegan food truck - it's on Wheeler just east of 288, close to UH/TSU.
    The food was really good and after going back and trying to "rebuild" what I ate, it wasn't so bad calorie-wise.
  • macpatti
    Options
    Haven't tried La Hacienda yet. That vegan place sounds good! My husband needs protein, though, so he probably wouldn't like it. I will have to check it out.
  • klewis81
    klewis81 Posts: 122
    Options
    For Mexican food, the DH and I go to Los Cucos. It is right by our house and it has a lower-calorie menu with chicken quesdaillas stuffed with veggies and light cheese. I have no idea how many calories it is though. My favorite for the greasy factor is La Tapatia taqueria on Richmond and Dunlavy. Mmmmm, it is so good.

We try to eat at a lot of Vietnamese restaurants, the bun or the pho can be quite healthy. The place near us is called Thu Thu, it is pretty decent. For an evil. spend-all-of-my-calories-in-one-place meal, I like to go to BB's Cajun, they have bacon-wrapped chicken bites that are stuffed with jalapeno and cream cheese that are so delicious! They do have some good salads that can be healthy though.

If we are going out for a quick bite to eat, more for the convenience factor than anything else, I choose Luby's. They have a number of lean protein options on their menu (fish and chicken) that are around 300 calories and they have vegetable sides between 50-100 calories. Or they have inexpensive salads that you can get specially made to order.
  • macpatti
    Options
    We also do Vietnamese and Chinese food. We share mu-shu, which isn't bad. At PF Chang's, I love their garlic snap peas and spicy green beans. We are all about sharing one order.

Since we're discussing Houston places.......have y'all been to Lankford's? Totally NOT about eating healthy, but it's a hamburger place in midtown made famous by "Man vs. Food". They have the best burgers! But if you go, totally plan on sharing one burger. I had the grim burger, which is meat, fried egg, and a scoop of mac and cheese. I know. I know. This is NOT what you were wanting here, but I couldn't resist since I was thinking of local places!
  • atomiclauren
    Options
    The last time I was at Lankford's was about six years ago - it was good but not great - I have a feeling things might have changed since then, and I definitely don't remember a burger with mac and cheese on it!

Burgers...hmmm...Market Square Bar and Grill downtown and Beck's. Yum. Definitely share-worthy.

There's a small Indian place just outside the beltway on Scarsdale called Darbar - traditional food that's pretty good - just can't let the atmosphere turn you away (dumpy strip mall).

There's also a great Thai place near Almeda Mall - Thai Jasmine. Authentic food, but again, dumpy strip mall :sick:

My problem with Thai, Vietnamese, and so on is that I have to watch the rice/noodles - the carbs really do me in.
  • scooterhaz
    scooterhaz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I live in Katy and eat out for lunch daily. Pho Tan, Stadia Grill, Victors Casa Garcia,Mission Burrito ,Hooters..... Usually beef pho, spring roll, grilled chicken. Try to only have 1 or 2 beers if any at all.Probably have been to every Mexican place in Katy but favs are - Lupe Tortilla - the beans that come with chips and fajitas, Victors, and Taq Arandes (now Taq Lindah) - tomatillo sauce and green sauce, and Chuy's. All in moderation and portion size..........................
  • macpatti
    Options
    There's a small Indian place just outside the beltway on Scarsdale called Darbar - traditional food that's pretty good - just can't let the atmosphere turn you away (dumpy strip mall).
    Yes! This place has the best Indian food!
  • macpatti
    Options
    I live in Katy and eat out for lunch daily. Pho Tan, Stadia Grill, Victors Casa Garcia,Mission Burrito ,Hooters..... Usually beef pho, spring roll, grilled chicken. Try to only have 1 or 2 beers if any at all.Probably have been to every Mexican place in Katy but favs are - Lupe Tortilla - the beans that come with chips and fajitas, Victors, and Taq Arandes (now Taq Lindah) - tomatillo sauce and green sauce, and Chuy's. All in moderation and portion size..........................
    Oh how I love the beans Lupe's serves with their chips. YUM.
  • scooterhaz
    Options
    Had Mantra Indian food on Mason today. Buffet.... did pretty good.
  • macpatti
    Options
    Now I'm craving Indian food!
  • atomiclauren
    Options
    Another place I have to be really careful is the Flying Saucer - lots of (high calorie) beer and tempting food!
  • macpatti
    Options
    Another place I have to be really careful is the Flying Saucer - lots of (high calorie) beer and tempting food!
    And LOTS of beer!!!!
  • klewis81
    klewis81 Posts: 122
    Options
    I had indian this past weekend at Himalaya in Sharpstown. It was yummy!
  • macpatti
    Options
    I had indian this past weekend at Himalaya in Sharpstown. It was yummy!
    Where is that? I work in Sharpstown!
  • scooterhaz
    Options
    I'm feeling a Perry's lunch pork chop OR Lupe's for lunch. Good week and will not go overboard for lunch, maybe even a few libations ( martini & wine) And a workout this evening.
  • atomiclauren
    Options
    I had lunch at Bombay Pizza Company downtown. Pretty good - we shared a 1/2 Munshi and 1/2 Slumdog pizza (good luck logging that, lol!), though next time I'm definitely going to try the paneer kati roll.
    http://www.bombaypizzaco.com/menu.html

Himalaya is down 59 near Hillcroft - I just looked at the menu...yum!
  • atomiclauren
    Options
    Oooh - Amazón Grill (on Kirby). The only killer is the open bar of plantain chips.

I also went to Pollo Campero for the first time recently - another decent South American "inspired" place.

I'm not sure about the "healthy" factor on these but we usually share things (and I make sure to control myself with the plantains :blushing: ).
  • macpatti
    Options
    I love Amazon Grill! They own Churrasco's, too, and that is one of my favorite places in Houston! Love the plantain chips!
  • atomiclauren
    Options
    Green Seed Vegan de-trucked and is now open 11-7 Mon-Sat. Might stop there after work!

A place I forgot about and need to avoid - Carlos' Beer Garden. Nothing ultra special about this place (decent burgers and fried pickles though :ohwell:) and it's a little "rustic" but I like it.