introduce yourself!

Options
33 years old who had dabbled in Boxing Fitness years ago, however joined a boxing gym two years ago to compliment football (soccer) training in the off season.

Have since hung up the football boots and am throwing everything into my boxing training.......... start sparring end of november and hopefully a fight next year!

Best thing I've ever done is stumble into my boxing gym......... wish I'd done it years ago.

Replies

• zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Hey, i'm from Adelaide and do boxing classes at my gym and LOVE IT!!! It is so damned hard, and it never gets easier. I am a junkie now, and find if i don't do it for a few weeks, i get a bit agro... I totally need the outlet. Just when you get comfortable, the instructor steps it up a notch and I feel like a novice again.
  • alicollins74
    alicollins74 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Love this group! Hi I am Alison and I am from Kansas. I go to a Title Boxing Club 5X/ wk and I am ADDICTED!! If you want to check out my success story, the link is in my signature. I burn around 700 calories an hour doing a full body workout, either boxing or kickboxing.

Look forward to meeting all of you!
  • MsWriter
    MsWriter Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm from Sydney and I love boxing! I first started boxing with my trainer and then joined a boxing gym a couple of years ago. I learnt a lot about technique there. Stinkiest gym ever but it was fantastic! :) Since then I have moved onto outdoor boxing classes / boxing classes at the gym and most recently running.
    I probably box 4 times a week. It's the best workout!!
  • trkinsky
    trkinsky Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    New to MFP and this group. I am really happy to join as my fitness routing includes 5 days a week hitting a heavy bag. I'll post my workout routine for comment later.
  • Sir_Cumference
    Sir_Cumference Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm from Washington, DC and I've been a member of a boxing club/gym for about 10 years now (wow, I hadn't realized so much time has gone by).

I've let myself go over the past year, so I'm looking to get back to the gym.

I've done sparring and actually had one boxing match in front of a crowd. It was pretty fun. I won on a decision, 3 two-minute rounds.

I've used MFP in the past, but never joined the community or anything. I'm looking to get to know some people, to generate some accountability for my routine to keep me motivated and maybe I can return the same.

Getting back to it means I'm starting with road work and some light work in the gym. I'll post my workout routine shortly.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Chris
  • trkinsky
    Options
    Welcome Chris. This group has helped me with training tips and motivation. I have only been a member for a couple weeks. I have never boxed competitively but grew up with a brother who was 11 months younger than me and outweighed my by a few pounds. I hit the heavy bag for cardio and for stress release.
  • digit78
    digit78 Posts: 177
    Options
    Hi Chris - looking forward to picking your brain and tapping into ten years of experience!
  • treime
    treime Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm Kelli and just recently set up a Heavy Bag at home. I learned how to wrap my hands properly and am working on the basics right now.
  • trkinsky
    Options
    Welcome to the group Kelli. I hit the bag 3-4 days a week. There is plenty of help here but with so few members I don't check it as often as I once did. You should add me to your friend list.
  • digit78
    Options
    Hi Kelli - welcome aboard! As trkinsky says, only a few members so I also only check back once to twice a week. Still some good experience to tap into, you'll definitely get a lot from trkinsky as he's a machine on the heavy bag!
  • trkinsky
    Options
    For the future, feel free to use my name (Tim). The trkinsky came from my e-mail address when I registered with MFP.
  • CoachDMarz
    Options
    My names Daniel, I'm 23 and boxing has been my favorite sport for years now. I grew up wanted to be a boxer and started in high school then had a couple park district fights then amaeteur show fights and fought in the Chicago Golden Gloves 2 years ago (didn't win but got to the semi finals). I coach a teen boxing team at my job and have a peewee punchers (6-10 year olds) as well as teaching the select adults who actually want to learn from someone younger than them. Boxing is my passion and once work and school got in the way and I couldn't train to fight anymore I had packed on some pounds, not totally obese or anything but definitely not what I was used to being at. Never really done the online stuff before but I do need a place to track my nutrition and keep myself motivated to workout even after I'm done with school and work for the day. Wish everybody luck in whatever goal they're shooting for. I personally want to get back in shape so that I can get another fight by the summer time.
  • digit78
    Options
    welcome aboard Daniel - keen to tap your knowledge on various training ideas!
  • trkinsky
    Options
    Welcome to the group Daniel. I will love to hear some of your tips and experience, but since I am more than 2X your age I might need to scale it back a bit. Good luck on your journey back into the ring... Tim
  • Hello I'm Ericka, 34 from CT. I was never really into boxing, although my father and brothers love it! My father, who is a fitness instructor teaches cardio boxing. I started doing his classes and absolutely love them because I work every part of my body. It's very challenging, however, I see results quicker when I stick to his boxing routine. The best part of this exercise is when I do the punching bag..talk about a stress reliever!
  • alicollins74
    alicollins74 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hi Ericka, welcome to the group!
  • trkinsky
    Options
    Welcome Ericka, There are only a few of us in this group but we are all passionate about throwing the leather...Tim
  • TRMite
    TRMite Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My name is Lisa, I joined LA Boxing last May and go about four times a week. Totally fun workout. Anyone have a guess how many calories the LA Boxing workout really burns? They advertise up to 1000 cals but I'm only 5'2" so I enter it as 600 in MFP. curious how others document a good workout.
  • BoxingAli
    BoxingAli Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa...I go to Title Boxing Club in my area. They also advertise up to 1000 calories. I am 5'7" and weigh 186. i have a HRM and on average I burn 650 calories. There have been some times depending on the class, that I have burned 750. I have lost 70 pounds in a year doing these classes.
  • digit78
    Options
    Welcome aboard Guys!