Do you think Christianity will die out?

Options
brittanyjeanxo
brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
I bring this up because I got called "pompous" on a previous thread for saying Christianity will eventually die out. I don't feel like this is a pompous thing to say...mostly because that word doesn't make any sense in that situation. Anyway, to me, it's just how things go. Pagans used to be very prevalent, and the Catholic church pushed them out. Babylonian, Mesopotamian, Mayan, etc. All dead. What do you think? Do you think it's just a matter of time before another religion becomes more popular? Or do you think that Christianity will be around forever and ever?

ETA: by "die out", I don't mean that there won't be any Christians left. I mean its popularity will die out, and it will not be the most popular religion.

Replies

• grimmaster1983
    Options
    this world will suffer a war against different religions and the victor will be the only religion, its a bad thing to say, but its what i think will happen. as for dying out, theres always a possibilty, but what makes you think it will be christianity?
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I think other religions will (or already have) become more popular, but I don't think it will die out entirely. The Mayans weren't just a religion, they were a society that collapsed. Same with Babylonian and Mesopotamian, they were regional societies, not just religions. Pagans also still exist, despite not being the majority, or popular. So, though it may decline, I don't believe it will die out.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    this world will suffer a war against different religions and the victor will be the only religion, its a bad thing to say, but its what i think will happen. as for dying out, theres always a possibilty, but what makes you think it will be christianity?

Because it's the most prevalent one at the moment.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    I think other religions will (or already have) become more popular, but I don't think it will die out entirely. The Mayans weren't just a religion, they were a society that collapsed. Same with Babylonian and Mesopotamian, they were regional societies, not just religions. Pagans also still exist, despite not being the majority, or popular. So, though it may decline, I don't believe it will die out.

I know they still exist. They have died out in popularity though.
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Well it's survived for the last 2000 years. Can't see it dying out any time soon. There will always be dips and heights in popularity though.
  • iCACTUS
    iCACTUS Posts: 113
    Options
    I think eventually it will fade into non-existence, but not for a good, long while.
    It took thousands of years for the previous mentioned religions to eventually
    become less popular & become minority. Right now it is the "Golden Age"
    for Christianity & like-minded religions, but my opinion also ties into my beliefs.

We are a young soul planet at the moment.

[ Summarized from : http://www.michaelteachings.com/young_soul.html ]

The religion of the Young soul in this country is primarily mainstream Protestantism.
    Orthodox churches such as Presbyterian, Episcopalian, and Methodist are the haunt
    of Young souls. Nothing controversial or upsetting here. Young souls resist attempts
    of Mature souls to reform the church. They seek to proselytize others — convert them
    to their own faith. There are more Young souls in this nation and on this planet than
    any other soul Age. Between 40 and 45 percent of the population are Young souls.

Therefore they are the most ordinary and conventional. They form the Establishment.
    In fact, Young souls have somewhat of a hang-up about normalcy. They want very much
    to be considered normal themselves, and they want everybody else to be what they
    consider normal. This is just another "do it my way" manifestation. Young soul humor
    is to make fun of people who are different. There is some repressed hostility in this,
    and a lack of understanding. They tend to adhere to all social institutions and cultural
    norms, such as marriage, religion, law, politics, education, and family.

Young souls find it distressing when others do not follow society's rules.

Young souls basic motivation is materialism, and they will work unstintingly
    for their material achievements. They are the most likely of the Ages to be
    "workaholics", constantly in a state of unrest, seeking their materialistic goals.

More than any other soul Age, Young souls feel at home in the physical body —
    the flesh is their playground. They really like it on this planet. Popular interests are
    mundane things such as government, business, lawyering, sports, and policing.

They prefer to be with others of very similar persuasion, and to avoid those who
    are not of their clique. They are picky and critical about things going on in their lives.
    They are distrustful of the world they live in. The desire here is to win other people
    over to one's own point of view or make them over in their own image.

The Young soul perceives "me" and "you", and wants to change "you" into "me".
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    What I see happening is that for a huge number of people, Christianity is a cultural identity rather than a religion. They may go to church occasionally or not at all, don't pray, don't read the Bible, but if you ask them they would say they are Christian. I think that while so many people are not terribly interested in spirituality, they are not comfortable giving up the whole idea.

So it is possible this will lead to a decline of Christianity; it could become an identity that's less and less important to succeeding generations.
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Yes and no . It was revealed to an Apostle of the Lord Jesus that in the end times there would be a great falling away and the world would embrace a one world religion ( not Christianity ) . This proceeds the return of Christ who wins in the end .
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I think that everything has an expiration date. the world now is without Rome, though that was inconcevable during her reign. We are without dinosaurs, and they ran this joint for eons. Everything ends. Ideas last a long time, and religion (not faith, mind you) is an idea. it will fall away. no time soon, i'm sure, but at some point. and at some point we will too. it's not "pompus" (and yeah, the word was used wrong) to say that everything ends. it's just fact.
  • SkinnyShadow
    SkinnyShadow Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    "Why Christianity Must Change or Die"
    - John Shelby Spong (Bishop)

I was given this book by a reverend of a united church (much more liberal), and found it very interesting. Only 228 pages.

Brightest blessings ;)
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options

I was given this book by a reverend of a united church (much more liberal), and found it very interesting. Only 228 pages.

Brightest blessings ;)

Christians are to be in the world but not of the world . We should seek our acceptance from God and not man . Christianity is not a social club where we need to change to better appeal to the world for added membership. I know that you are seeking truth but liberalism in theology tends to water down the distinction of where Christianity ends and the world begins , don't you think ?
  • SkinnyShadow
    SkinnyShadow Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    What??
    Did you even read the book? lol
  • n003k
    n003k Posts: 58
    Options

Brightest blessings ;)

Christians are to be in the world but not of the world . We should seek our acceptance from God and not man . Christianity is not a social club where we need to change to better appeal to the world for added membership. I know that you are seeking truth but liberalism in theology tends to water down the distinction of where Christianity ends and the world begins , don't you think ?

Has Christianity not changed quite a bit in it's very existence so far? Even excluding the major changes (Protestant reformation anyone?) There have been the various councils that changed the Bible, the various different forms of bibles, the ignoring of large sections of the bible, which gets increasingly more ignored as time goes on, and finally the fact that the majority of people that would identify as Christians fail to do anything other than occasionally attend church, and claim to believe in Jesus.

Like it or not, for a religion to 'survive' it DOES need to appeal to the world. If it doesn't it slowly gets fewer, and fewer members, until it becomes a minor niche group, or dies off. Of course, a new religion becoming mainstream helps that along.

It has nothing to do with liking it, or agreeing with it, it's just a fact. If Christianity doesn't become more attractive to younger people NOT raised in Christian households, then considering that every generation more and more children raised in Christian households will decide to identify as atheist, agnostic, or anything else, it really is only a matter of time.

Of course, that does raise the question, are the churches gaining more converts than they're losing members, or losing more members than their gaining converts? It seems to me like they're losing far more than their gaining...but, it would also probably need to be a large scale poll to truly figure that one out.
  • heberlonghurst
    Options
    My experience having conversations with Christian friends of all denominations is that as a general rule Christians don't read The Bible anymore. When you consider the sacrifices that Tyndale and others made to translate The Bible and make it available to us this is rather sad. I think many people identify themselves with Christianity socially but don't really understand or feel the deeper doctrines and messages. It is unfortunate in my opinion as there are a lot of gems in The Bible.

As I mentioned in my introduction I am a little weird in that I not only read The Bible, but also the Upanishads, Vedic poetry etc. I think in today's fast food, quicker and quicker advertising and political sound-bites, 144 characters society we are becoming increasingly anti-intellectual (or at least un-intellectual). Christianity and Christian texts are much more intellectual and complicated than the vast majority of Christians today are capable or willing to grasp and ultimately society will migrate to something more in-line with short attention spans.

I want to make it clear that in writing this text I don't mean to imply that other religions are lacking in complexity or demands (I have several good Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist and Masonic friends and I am impressed by the level of commitment and study that their traditions demand). All I am saying is that in a twitter, instant messaging, SMS messaging etc world where political and commercial adds are becoming shorter to cope with (and lead) decreasing attention spans society will probably seek something that doesn't require as much reading or thought.

Does this mean Christianity will die out? I don't know. I think as a general rule we are seeing Christianity morph into something simpler and more social.

Personally I would like to see things move in the other direction with Christians and those of all faiths studying not only more of their own faith but those of other faiths. Some of my heroes are Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr, etc who studied a lot about all religious traditions.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    //" Do you think Christianity will die out?"//

IT DEPENDS ON WHERE ON THE GLOBE YOU ARE REFERRING, imo.

Atheism is on the rise,
    and far more common in some nations than others,
    and although atheists are hard to count, lol, in USA atheists are the largest of all USA minorities at over 20% to 24%,
    and it has been counted to be as high as 72% in Norway,
    NHEgD.jpg

but i doubt, in some countries like USA, that christianity will die out.
    The USA is one of the most religious of all modern nations.

The pull to belong,
    to be part of a community that is widely seen as "good" by most ppl, (especially by Americans)
    the urge to feel they are being good, (most ppl DO think belonging to a church or to a religion indicates the person is "good")
    is very powerful,
    as well as the fear of hell, (actually believed by many people:noway: )
    can all combine to keep one believing in a a cosmic jewish zombie, who make you live forever, if you symbolically eat his flesh and drink his blood,
    whle telepathically telling him that you accept him as your master,
    so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree…

that,
    and the fact,
    the humans are indoctrinated from birth on,
    all throughout their childhood,
    upon fear of eternal pain and torture,
    long before the child even approaches the age of reason, the idea is carved into their brains. Everyone they know believes it, thus, it must be "true", these must be THE correct gods to worship.

It is the same all over the world, in that way, for all the followers of all the various gods everywhere.

Otherwise, it IS a hard idea to sell to an adult who has been encouraged to use critical thinking skills.

but no, i do NOT think christianity will die out completely,
    but,
    that it will continue to change. The rules christians follow,
    will continue to morph each century,
    as they always have.

The christian rules of the future, might not much resemble the rules they follow today, just as the christian rules of today,
    have changed greatly from even a few centuries ago.
  • maradot
    maradot Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I do not think Christianity will die out any more than any other religion. I don't agree with every statement coming from Christian organized religion anymore than with any other religion. But, I think most religions encourage a philosophy which aims to better the world we live in. Are all percepts of all religions fair to all people. No, and I mean Noooo!

But humankind is imperfect, so anything that is created or transcribed by humankind is also going to be imperfect. Generally speaking, better actions come from people who embrace a philosophy/religion. I do not think the world would be better without religion. I suspect it would be far worse. And, compared to many religions - Christianity is gentle.

Yes, yes I know there were the Crusades, there were the Spaniards in South America, etc.., and yes people have used Christianity to justify terrible acts, but this does not mean that the Christian ideals are cruel, just that humanbeings are far less than perfect.

If you give up all philosophy all you have left is anarchy. And anarchy always descends to cruelty.
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    But, I think most religions encourage a philosophy which aims to better the world we live in

this is indeed what we are told the world's religions are supposed to do, and your idea IS widely believed........so much so, that it is rarely even questioned, "religions are good".(?)

but the net effect of religion is usually the opposite. The more religious, the worse the effect, too.
    Religions are almost always oppressive to at least one group of ppl, if not several. Religions which seep into govts are a sure bet for oppression and harm. Theocracies are always bad, in any measure of a society or civilization that you want to use.

I also strongly believe,
    one can do good without endorsing any gods at all. I myself do not make the associations everyone usually does, that religion = good. (?) In fact, i have the opposite view, and can list a multitude of ways religions are harmful, both to individuals, families, societies and govts............let me know if you want the list.

I disagree that christianity is okay cuz "some religions are worse".(para). Religions which are STILL in control of govts:noway: ARE worse, and very dangerous even today, i'll so so agree.emo69.gif
    but since the times when christianity was removed from BEING the govt itself, and civil laws now override (usually) christian(or any religions's) laws, in those countries, that have separation of govt and religion, then the atrocities have markedly decreased dramatically, compared to the times when christianity ruled the govts and the rulers themselves, for eons and eons. shiver.

but i do agree, christianity will probably never ever die out completely in hyper-religious nations like the USA.

BUT christianity IS markedly decreasing in membership, power, influence, and cash flow,(cash and powr---the lifeblood of the org) though, but, like the person above me, i can not picture the complete eradication of christianity. My guess is, it will always scraggle on, and on.

I do NOT see the bulk of religion's influence as a positive force in the world, though. I dislike very much how it causes illogical thinking and impacts our govts and legislation.
    If you give up all philosophy all you have left is anarchy. And anarchy always descends to cruelty.

I am also against anarchy,
    but, civil laws
    and religion
    are two different things,
    or at least should be, imo. Theocracies always and invariably lead to cruelty and oppression, always.
    I do NOT believe we need any religion to form safe govts,
    as it's been proven, in every case, throughout history, that mixing religions and govts is always disastrous. I feel one can have a govt which focuses the welfare of the ppl or freedom or whatever, or a fair govt,
    without endorsing any of the gods, and i do not think that not endorsing any gods will not equate to anarchy. If one wants to feel civil laws are in fact, representing a philosophy, i can agree with that,
    but, i do not believe that religion = good basis for a govt's set of civil laws at all. shiver!
  • maradot
    maradot Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You have greater faith in the goodness of human beings than I do. While I cannot disagree that religious ethics have not cured humankind of its basic imperfections, it at least holds up ideals of better behavior. One has to distinguish between the sins of organized religion and the ethics at the root of that religion.

After all, why did so many people convert to Christianity from the roman gods. There must have been something there that they felt was worth it.
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    You have greater faith in the goodness of human beings than I do. While I cannot disagree that religious ethics have not cured humankind of its basic imperfections, it at least holds up ideals of better behavior. One has to distinguish between the sins of organized religion and the ethics at the root of that religion.

After all, why did so many people convert to Christianity from the roman gods. There must have been something there that they felt was worth it.

The fall of the roman empire? Fear of eternal damnation? The worship of roman gods was not real well organized, either.
    Keep in mind, ppl then, like ppl today, inherited their gods from their parents, from the society they grow up in.
    The gods popular in the middle east, were a lil different from the gods of europe at that time. Actually, most gods seem to have trouble crossing mountain ranges. The favored gods of a location in ancient times seem to stop at mountain ranges. The history of christianity if a fascinating tale, and wow, when christianity got in with GOVTS, it reeeally took OFF!! kind of..... To this day, only about 1/3 to 1/4 of the globe worship the biblegods, btw.
    Mot a lot of religions had actual armies, but christianity DID! :noway: Also fascinating, is the way christianity put THEIR gods on top of ongoing pagan festivals, like christmas, easter, etc etc. Well played, christians, well played!! :laugh: Over time, everyone all but forgot what gods WERE being celebrated on those days.

I don't see where i claim to have great optimism in human nature,(???????????????) when i state that i do not think religion is a "good" force in the world, and religions net effect is usually negative.....It seems to me, (i could be wrong), that you, Maradot, credit CIVIL law = religion, or vice-verse,
    or perhaps the two are somehow blurred in your mind...not sure, i could be misinterpreting your posts.
    I distinguish the two,
    in a way that medievel Europe, pockets of early America, and most of the middle east do not.......those are/were dark times, when religion IS the govt. shiver!!!! NEVER ever good, nope.

Thank rational minds:drinker: for CIVIL law overriding religious law,emo49.gif or we could still be burning witches in the USA because of bible laws:devil: ........or burning scientists in europe for 'heresy':devil: ................or telling citizens that birth control is against god's will:devil: ........or trying to prevent evolution from being taught in history books, or trying to insert "creationism" into actual science books! :devil: OH WAIT, we are doing that last one:laugh: .
    long
    long
    list of stuff that gets harmed by those who forego critical thinking skills in favor of following a religion........like the times when republican congressmen veto environmental bills, stating "god will decide when the world ends, we don't have to worry about it.":sad: (for real, in 2009..) :noway: :noway: :noway:
    Or the way ppl point at the bible for backup in homophobia,:devil: or to prevent adoptions or marriages by gay parents, religion is still doing harm to this very day!! :devil: I got a long list, if you want it.
    but i digress, i do have long long list of examples of 100s of ways religion is NOT the good thing you *seem* to think it is.(?)

Yeah, so i don't get where you read i am saying human nature needs no laws when i state i am against anarchy, or WHERE i claim that humanity is 'naturally great' or anything, please quote the spot where you read THAT?emo4.gif
    ????????????

No, i do think humans are very capable of doing evil, :cry: and religious laws can often encourage evil rather than suppress it,
    but i do have optimism in well established CIVIL laws of modern nations. I do believe in democracy,
    not theocracy.

While I cannot disagree that religious ethics have not cured humankind of its basic imperfections, it at least holds up ideals of better behavior.

I disagree the very stories or morals of most religions are worthy or 'good'. I disagree that religion, when mixed in with GOVT, ever creates an overall benefit for that society.

One has to distinguish between the sins of organized religion and the ethics at the root of that religion.

I am very grateful, that in modern countries, CIVIL law overrides the "ethics" of any religion you can name. The "ethics" of christianity, IF IF IF one wanted to toss out CIVIL law, and go by the bible morality, we'd be in a world of hurt, like we once were, when christianity WAS the govt. shiver!

For real, you find stuff like THIS
    http://www.ebonmusings.org/atheism/atrocities.html
    to be great example of "ethics" we'd want to model a society upon??:noway: LUCKILY, now---CIVIL law DOES override religious lawemo38.gif in most modern nations.emo49.gif
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    Maradot,
    i think probably you and i agree on more than we disagree about:bigsmile: :drinker: :smile: ,
    i *think* the main differences you and i have, (and i could be wrong)
    is
    that you seem to see religion as a "good" thing,
    and you also seem to think of CIVIL laws as same thing as religious laws.(or, maybe the other way around)

and i disagree on those two points.
    very much.