Calories from different types of riding

Options
Has anyone been able to further refine or tease out the calorie expenditure for different riding activities? Or have any other sources for this? All the database has is trotting and walking. In my opinion, half an hour of trotting around on a loose rein is quite different from doing dressage at sitting trot for half an hour and would be even more vigorous if one were working at, say third level, as opposed to first level.

And how about jumping a few jumps versus doing a cross country course?

Replies

• VesperSparrow
    Options
    I was totally sweating from my "trotting" today, which was mostly done sitting and involved transitions every 10 metres or so, even though it was -5 C in the indoor.
  • Blugal1
    Blugal1 Posts: 92
    Options
    I hear you! When I log riding, I just log the actual time I spent trotting and cantering, and I do my best to always be working. If I'm hacking, I'm not logging it.

Would be nice to know, just for interest's sake though.

One thing I will say, my horses are getting fewer days off (if I can help it), I much prefer burning calories by riding than by treadmill!
  • VesperSparrow
    Options
    I did find this link:

http://www.arkagency-naha.com/naha/pdf/energy_cost.pdf

She provides the following list

Activity Cal/Hr MET
    Clean Stalls 550 7.7
    Feed horses 306 4.3
    Groom 525 7.3
    At the halt 78 1.0
    Walk 168 2.3
    Post trot 420 5.9
    Sitting trot 450 6.3
    Canter 514 7.2
    Gallop 558 7.8
    Paint fences 140 1.9
    Drive tractor 150 2.1
    Walk in field 335 4.7
    Aerobics, slow 420 5.9
    Shovel snow 450 6.3
    Mow lawn 457 6.4
    Jog, slow 550 7.7
  • SophinMaine
    SophinMaine Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    What does MET mean?

I've wondered about that too. It's so different to post the trot on the buckle, and sit the trot while doing dressage movements. When I ride I try to figure out how much time I spent trotting/cantering/jumping. I don't "count" the walk at all. Right now the ring and trails are covered in ice and snow anyways, and I only really "ride" when we go to the indoor, which is only 1x or 2x a week.

It is also very different to walk (on foot) for 30 mn on grades or paved paths/roads, than to walk 30 mn on hilly trails in deep snow and ice (which is what I just did, lol!)

Oh well, It is not an exact science. But thanks for that info, it's very useful!
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    the best way to log your calories is with a heart rate monitor. There are tons of posts and discussions on which ones are better than others. The polar HRMs seem to be the best.

That said, I do not have one :ohwell: , but I would like one :smile:
  • VesperSparrow
    Options
    Re walking in deep or packed snow (which I've been doing lately too), found this on the Weight Watchers site:

"Walking in packed snow increases by 60 percent the calories burned compared to walking on a paved road, while walking in soft snow triples the calories burned compared to walking at the same speed on a treadmill. In addition, the added resistance of the snow can firm and tone the muscles."
  • VesperSparrow
    Options
    MET = metabolic equivalent
  • Duckz1
    Duckz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I did find this link:

http://www.arkagency-naha.com/naha/pdf/energy_cost.pdf

She provides the following list

Activity Cal/Hr MET
    Clean Stalls 550 7.7
    Feed horses 306 4.3
    Groom 525 7.3
    At the halt 78 1.0
    Walk 168 2.3
    Post trot 420 5.9
    Sitting trot 450 6.3
    Canter 514 7.2
    Gallop 558 7.8
    Paint fences 140 1.9
    Drive tractor 150 2.1
    Walk in field 335 4.7
    Aerobics, slow 420 5.9
    Shovel snow 450 6.3
    Mow lawn 457 6.4
    Jog, slow 550 7.7

Do these seem high to anyone else?

My problem with horseback riding as exercise is that, after 20+ years of riding my muscles are soooo used to it. When your muscles get super efficient at an activity you burn fewer calories. Certain things still really make my muscles burn, like sitting trot or riding without stirrups, but overall I just don't feel like I'm "working out" when I'm riding.
  • peachie98
    Options

Do these seem high to anyone else?

My problem with horseback riding as exercise is that, after 20+ years of riding my muscles are soooo used to it. When your muscles get super efficient at an activity you burn fewer calories. Certain things still really make my muscles burn, like sitting trot or riding without stirrups, but overall I just don't feel like I'm "working out" when I'm riding.

I kindof agree some are high. I guess for someone not used to doing the various horse related activities it would be strenuous, but for those of us that groom, muck, feed, ride, etc. on a regular basis and are used to it we probably don't burn that many calories (if I burned that much mucking and grooming I'd be skinny as a rail as I do that for a living 6 days a week! lol). I don't put the mucking/feeding/grooming into my daily exercise as I count that as part of my job (and listed my job as semi-active), but I do count the riding as it's not a daily occurance and is outside my regular daily routine.
  • justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, but the horse I ride makes me feel like I just ran a million miles. He requires steady leg to keep going, and is a workout! He's a great horse, and I love him to death, but man I will never get an easy day when I am riding him! I don't count my riding as exercise, merely because I don't have a HRM. WIthout one I don't know the calories I am burning. I just ride one day per week anyhow :)