What has been your biggest obstacle?

Options
I find that at the end of my work day, if it's been hectic, I try to talk myself out of going to exercize. I tell myself that I am too tired and just need to go home. My friend at work said that's the time I NEED to go to the gym. It happened yesterday and thank goodness for work buddies! I went and I felt sooo much better afterwards.

Replies

• laurabarden
    laurabarden Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I would have to say.....FOOD! lol. I love food, especially chocolate and carbs. I didnt used to exercise, but this last 10 days I have, and ive never felt better! really, Im my biggest obstacle because I talk myself out of doing what I need to due to not having the $ or not feeling energetic. Im working on me, tho! :wink:
  • dravinsmom
    Options
    My biggest obstacle is munching on snacks and sweets at work. I think it's turned into such a big part of my routine that I'm actually a little anxious without the snacks. Isn't that silly? Today was my first day calorie counting with mfp. I lost some weight with it before, but lost my motivation somewhere. I've got to make a change this year. Now. I need to take care of me this time. Let's hope I can keep motivated and be PATIENT too! :)
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Mine is when I am under stress and feel like food will just generally make me feel better... and it usually does until I step on the scale haha. Also, being at school can be hard because you get the peer pressure to go out to restaurants, parties, etc. Usually I can make good choices with those though. And I don't kick myself too hard if I have one day that just doesn't work the way I want it to.
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    One of my biggest obstacles is trying to have a normal life while working nightshift. I've been on 11-7 for almost 5 years now, and while in some ways I can def handle it, I feel like you can never totally adjust. When I have a night off all I want to do is sleep. Sleeping at night is something that should not be taken for granted lol. I bring my own food to work, and avoid the cafeteria, so I don't have issues there, but when I get out and go home I tend to get hungry again and it's been hard breaking the habit of making something and then going to sleep. I usually get up around 2:30 and then immediately workout because otherwise, especially now with the reduced daylight, I know I won't do it. I'm in a challenge now that has gotten me back into a regular routine which I've lacked for a long time outside of running 2-3 times a week. It gets really stressful sometimes trying to fit in work, working out, now grad school, and family/friends time, and hopefully I'll only be on this shift for another year or 2..
  • ShrinkRapt451
    ShrinkRapt451 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Biggest is probably not eating. I'd get so busy that, even when I BROUGHT MY LUNCH and it takes 2 minutes to heat up and 10 to eat, I'd skip it. So, because my drive home takes 50-60 minutes, I'd stop by a drive through on the way out of town. DQ makes good burgers. And really good Moolattes. Let's not talk about the calorie load, shall we?

So now I'm getting religion about snacks and carving out time to eat. Death By Meeting Tuesday requires a protein bistro box from Starbucks, which I get on my way to work, because I have exactly zero time to heat anything up. (Meetings without pause from 9-5; not exaggerating in any way.)

I've also got about two dozen excuses for why I don't work out. Which I've also decided it's time to throw out the window. I have less time to do other things at night (and I'm sacrificing sleep, which isn't good), but working on a happy medium.
  • Donnaovercomer
    Donnaovercomer Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am my worst enemy. My biggest obstacle is falling back into the same routine of not watching my daily calorie intake. My mindset in the past has been if I have a bad day then i just keeping eating and making bad choices. If my week starts out that way then it is hard for me to refocus back until Saturday which for me is my reset day. I do the cooking at home which I don't mind doing but trying to come up with different healthy recipes can be a little hard sometimes.
  • haggarka
    Options
    My biggest obstacle recently has been my health; had Craniotomy in May & basically had to train rt leg to walk again. Talk about frustrating!!! This has resulted in having to give up the ED & taking a desk job; another obstacle to my activity goals. Stamina has been a BIG problem since the surgery so I am trying to slowly introduce activity & exercise; If I get too tired I start to limp. Baby steps, baby steps but I want to be able to run around with my grandson. THAT'S my MOTIVATION!!
  • Classic65Mustang
    Classic65Mustang Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I broke my leg about 4 years ago and had to have 2 surgeries on it. Struggling through the pains I get some days due to weather or over-use the day before can be a little overwhelming. It is so much easier to just sit back and kick my leg up than to go to the gym and find alternate workouts that give my leg the day off but still keep me active. I sometimes allow myself the excuse that my leg hurts and don't push myself when I should.
  • MissMeshia81
    MissMeshia81 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My biggest obstacle is really finding time to exercise. I work 2nd shift in the lab, so I get off at 11pm. When I get home I am so tired from work dealing with that and fixing machines, and prepping machines, and calling criticals that I cant stand straight. Then there is that ride home, take the dogs out, prepare for the next day. While preparing I have to get enough sleep, make sure I eat somethng to keep my glucose stable cause I am a diabetic, squeeze in doctors appointments, then start my day at 2:30p. I know I will probably have to get up early, but then that means @ work I will crash once we get busy. Its hard, but I have to do it, I have my wedding coming up in October and I have to get some weight off. Then they ahve cracked down on our breaks 15 min break and 30 min lunch and we cant take it all at one time, which sucks. So, its all just on big blur and I am trying to make room for it all and I feel so, burned out.
  • angelrn1224
    Options
    My biggest obstacle is really finding time to exercise. I work 2nd shift in the lab, so I get off at 11pm. When I get home I am so tired from work dealing with that and fixing machines, and prepping machines, and calling criticals that I cant stand straight. Then there is that ride home, take the dogs out, prepare for the next day. While preparing I have to get enough sleep, make sure I eat somethng to keep my glucose stable cause I am a diabetic, squeeze in doctors appointments, then start my day at 2:30p. I know I will probably have to get up early, but then that means @ work I will crash once we get busy. Its hard, but I have to do it, I have my wedding coming up in October and I have to get some weight off. Then they ahve cracked down on our breaks 15 min break and 30 min lunch and we cant take it all at one time, which sucks. So, its all just on big blur and I am trying to make room for it all and I feel so, burned out.

MissMeshia81, it does sound like you have obstacles to overcome, but they can be won. Maybe start with a smaller goal of using you 15 minute break to walk. Or you could take a quick 15-30 minute walk when you get up (not early) or right before you go to work. Try to meet a goal of doing this 3x a week.

You most definitely don't want to burn yourself out! It's time for you to take back some YOU time! It's called healthy selfishness and just a litte dab will do to get you started. Then you will start feeling more energetic. Sure, there are going to be days when you have to make yourself do it, but those days will get less and less frequent.

You can do it!!! AND you deserve it!!!

Hugs!
    Sarah
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    MissMeshia81, I'm a lab tech as well so believe me I know the feeling of crashing right at the busy time after dealing with machine and people problems. I work the 11p-7am shift, and by far the worst time is between 4-6. We start to get busy around 3, and yet somewhere in that time all I want to do is put my head down. That's really crappy about your break time, esp that you can't take it all at once.
    I don't know what it is about tonight (Fri the 13th), but wow is it one of those days.. Spinal fluids, people being impatient with results, and now I just had to deal with a nurse that yelled at one of my staff insisting we had a requistion which we did not have. Yeah she shut up quickly when I said I spoke to the tech myself and he def did not bring us any paper.. argh people!

It's def makes life harder working on an off shift, but you just have to adjust as much as you can. I know for me, I have the most energy when I get up in the afternoon, and if I don't workout as soon as I'm up I probably won't do it. It cuts off my sleep time, but I'm usually able to get at least another hour in before work... Not the greatest, but better than nothing..
    Good luck, you can do this!!
  • ciaxtrinity1
    ciaxtrinity1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest challange for me as a healthcare worker is eating 5 small meals a day. I work in a sterile area so I can't just leave to eat at regular times. I stand all day wearing lead aprons so at the end of the day, my feet and legs and back are usually hurting and that makes me so unmotivated to go workout after....
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Like someone else said, if I am tired then it is almost impossible for me to exercise. Also I am very good at sabotaging myself! If I eat a little over then I will just binge because I figure the day is already ruined.

I try to just set times that i have to work out and plan out my meals. I don't have enough willpower to just let it happen.
  • angelrn1224
    Options
    I found a way to get around the excuse of not exercising after work...I brought my Zumba DVD's to work and have started a free after work Zumba fitness co-worker party!

There used to be a group that went to a class after work, but the class didn't start until 5:30 pm. There was also a smaller group that did Zumba in the office and had an instructor come in to teach it.

I figured I would just play my DVD's on the computer and large screen, get some additional support from co-workers, and not have to pay anyone to take the class. Plus, I get to go home after I'm done and not have to worry about going to the gym.

I have always loved doing fun exercises in a group setting and always wanted to lead a group. Well...I don't actually get to lead, but it's fun getting a group of folks together with the same needs, outlook, and positive attitudes!
  • an1an
    an1an Posts: 3
    Options
    this is actually a really good idea....
    you need to have a cooperative work-group though.
    unfortunately for me I'm in my last year of medical school and I can barely find time in my schedule to do my own exercise let alone get organised enough to find some colleagues to join me :( i hope as soon as I settle in at a hospital I'll manage to get something done. I won't forget this idea though...good one thank you
  • angelrn1224
    Options
    I was looking at getting new zumba DVDs but I went onto YouTube and found a lot of videos of classes, saved them to a favorites file on YouTube and now I can access many different songs, styles, and instructors whenever I want. Just thought I'd share in case anyone else is looking for new Zumba stuff, but is not looking to spend extra cash. :bigsmile: . I have a blu ray player for my tv, so it's easy for me to access YouTube and play on the big screen,:glasses: but you could do it from a computer or even a smart phone.
    Have a great day everyone!:smile:
  • johnjohngarcia
    johnjohngarcia Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My biggest obstical is getting workouts in with 12 hour shifts. I always feel as if I am neglecting my family if I try and squeeze a workout in on the days that I work.