Working out with no access to gym or equipement?

Options
Will start off by saying, I am insanely jealous of all you guys who have a gym close by to go too!

Saying that, my closest gym is over an hour away if not farther. So going to the gym is out. :( And to add to that, house is way to small for any sort of gym equipement.

So looking for suggestions for fun exercises to do. And a lot of motivation to actually do them when its +39C outside! :S

Soo anything ? and thanks in advance!

P.

Replies

• ohrebecca
    ohrebecca Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Can you get an exercise ball or exercise step box? Those are relatively small (smaller than machines, anyway!) ways to incorporate cardio/strength at home!

Also workout DVDs! Anything fun you've wanted to try - dancing, pilates, etc., there's a DVD for everything. Usually don't need a lot of special equipment, anything more than dumbbells/hand weights and a yoga mat at least.
  • KCoyoteco
    Options
    Last summer I really enjoyed the trampoline. As I was busy in fall and winter arrived (though it's been fantastic weather), I dropped it off and forgot about it. But, it's so much fun to jump on the big trampoline that I was thinking of getting a small one for indoors - so that's my suggestion a trampoline, either outside or inside.

Also, a jump rope unless you feel that it's too high impact. My kids' elementary school PE teacher was really into teaching the kids to jump rope, with double unders and competitions and all that - that's all pretty cool really.

Once my brother suggested to me that I do 100 pushups per day - not necessarily at one time, but just by the end of the day to have completed 100. I did that for years and it's a great idea.

Put your bicycle on a trainer and use your regular bicycle as an exercise bike.

And I agree, certainly, with the previous suggetions - especially having some dumbbells around just to pick up and use. I used to keep one in my car! :)

I really have gotten lazy and need to get back some of my old habits.
  • Pegasusridge
    Options
    I try to walk, although I have to admit I am turning into a cold weather weinie. I just finished the first round of the Success in the Saddle DVD exercise program - not a great cardio work out but I think will help tremendously with flexiblity and core strength.

My husband and I started taking dance lessons as well. Nothing like a good mambo to get your heart rate up!
  • spotteddrafter
    spotteddrafter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I agree about videos!

A couple of months ago I got sucked into the Zumba Dance! infomercial and ordered the whole set. I have to say, they are awesome....and one of the videos is a 20-min workout. I use that one for the days I'm just not feeling it and force myself to do something. I also have the Winsor Pilates DVD - I try to do that one on the days in between Zumba.

If you have cable or satelite, try looking for Fitness on Demand - many of the programs are free! I've done belly dancing and more.
  • emawalton
    Options
    I have a couple of gyms close by but I hate going to the gym!! I have several different DVDs that I switch between.... Hit the Spot Pilates with Denise Austin, Billy Blanks Bootcamp, Drop it in 30 by Prevention Magazine, and a Cardio Burn Yoga. I also have a Jillian Michaels workout game on my Wii which will make you work! I would highly recommend checking out her workout DVDs if you don't have a Wii. I've considered buying the DVDs too just to have them in my rotation. I get tired of doing the same workouts all the time so I try to have a mix. I try to make it a point to do SOME sort of exercise every day, even if it's just a 20 minute walk around the block at lunch, and to do 3 cardio type workouts a week. If you can find someone who has the P90x workout, try that!! It's expensive to buy it outright but it is a really hard (good!!) workout. Insanity is another workout by the same trainer and should be equally as good, although I haven't tried that one.
  • SophinMaine
    SophinMaine Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    +39 C ? Where do you live?!

Before signing up to at the gym, I used the on-demand fitness videos on TV. Lots and lots to choose from. I also walked every day, and when the weather gets better, I will get my bike out again.

I've lost weight before with just walking/hiking every day, so don't discount it as exercise! I try to find hilly terrain for more effect. Of course it gets a little harder to get motivated when it's 15 degrees F and snowing, like yesterday...but really, as a rule, I'd rather be outside than in a gym.
  • Polydor
    Polydor Posts: 43
    Options
    Thanks ladies!

SophinMaine: I live in South Australia in the middle of no where and it is summer. It's gotten to +45-48C before :S

As for DVDs, haven't really tried them before. Only used a Wii Fit which i never really got into since i never worked up a sweat. Will see what I can find DVD wise. The other concern with the DVD is that i have very limited space. I had to move furniture out of living room in order to use the Wii Fit and since then have added more furniture. BUT I did just think of maybe being able to move stuff around in the spare room and that might give me enough room.

I know I should just bite the bullet and go for the walk/run in the morning but waaaa i don't wanna! lol

P.
  • KCoyoteco
    Options
    I wondered when you said it was 35C (95F). :) You specifically put the + in front or I would have assumed - lol. A workout series that I like is New York City Ballet Workout. I couldn't find my daughter's dvd's when she was out of the country so I looked online. All of them are on youtube.
  • KCoyoteco
    Options
    Another piece of exercise equipment for small spaces is chin up bar that hangs over the door facing. There are also exercise bands that can work well if you order the strong ones. And, finally, there are some "gym" that fit over the door which are more complete. When you are finished with them, you just take them down and put them in their bag.
  • justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    The wii fit can kick your butt!!! Maybe try doing some of the different exercises, or another game? My daughter has one game that absolutely kills me. You basically have to run/walk to whole game. I haven't done it in a few months, but last time I did it, I was so sore the next day!

Is there anyone in your area that would come to your house and train you? Do you have a college locally? Some colleges have facilities that are open to the public for a fee :)

Good luck!