Exercise -- Yes, you must!

Options
DonnaLFitz
DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
While the early cycles of the 17DD focus primarily on cleansing foods for the body, it does state that a minimum of 17 minutes per day of light to moderate exercise is required.

That's a minimum, folks.

If you are just starting out with the diet and/or have been sedentary for many years, then the minimum is a good starting point.

If you have been regularly active over time -- even lightly -- you should move up from this minimum as soon as you are done with Cycle 1 - Accelerate.

Exercise is a key component to good health. It is the other half of the coin, with food on the other side.

I've had great results following the 17DD plan, but my best results come when I am fully active 5-6 days per week.

In my life, I have only had a few periods of time where I was fully sedentary, and to be honest, it was during both pregnancies and during health crises with my daughter. Exercise was just not possible. And it was during precisely those inactive time periods that I gained most of my weight.

Today as a general rule, I shoot to burn a minimum of 300 calories per day, 5 days per week. My overall goal is 7 hours of moderate/intense exercise per week. I include at least two sessions of strength training.

This may seem like a lot, but I don't even belong to a gym! I workout at home. Here are my basic activities:
* Walking outside with a 12lb vest (equivalent of backpacking)
* Line dancing workout in my backyard
* Tap dancing in class and rehearsal
* Squats (three different styles) using my Total Gym XLS
* Upper body workout using my Total Gym XLS

The key to being -- and staying -- active is to find activities you enjoy and will do. If the thought of going to the gym or the Y makes you groan, try a dance class or workout video -- there are dozens to choose from. Try power walking with a friend. Even better, get a smartphone app (like LoLo Beatburn) that helps you improve the workout quality of your walk while enjoying your favorite music.

No matter what you choose, just do it. Don't complain. Don't whine. Just do it.

And always push for just a little bit more effort. If the minimum is 17, then do 20. If last week you did 20 minutes, increase it to 22.

When you finally work up to 30 minutes per day, 5 days per week, you will be amazed at the difference in your progress and in how you feel!

Replies

• llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Excellent, Donna! Thanks for a glimpse of the "blueprint" for your success w/the 17DD, and fitness in general!
  • Kristin24C
    Kristin24C Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I didnt exercise as much as i should of when i went thru the cycles.. I mean I was lucky if i did it once a week. I found i still lost a ton of weight. once i stopped losing on just dieting itself, then i started exercising.
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I didnt exercise as much as i should of when i went thru the cycles.. I mean I was lucky if i did it once a week. I found i still lost a ton of weight. once i stopped losing on just dieting itself, then i started exercising.

You are very young. For those of us over 35, exercise really is mandatory. And it is an important health requirement for people of all ages.