SKINNY "FAT" & comments people make

Options
Sandeezee
Sandeezee Posts: 10 Member
I have a friend that constantly makes comments when I mention I’m “dieting” or "working out" like, “I don’t know what your complaining about your already skinny. I’m the one that’s fat” “what… are you trying to make yourself disappear?” Those comments really bother me.

We’re all here for different reasons, and just because you LOOK “skinny” or “in shape” doesn’t mean your healthy. There is such a thing as “skinny-fat”. Why is it hard for people to imagine smaller framed bodies with cellulite? I’ve always looked like I’m at a decent weight, and I can really make my body look shapely with the right clothes. I’ve become a master at re-shaping my body with the right clothing, but in reality I’m two numbers off from being “overweight”. My BMI % has always been very high for my body frame, I have evenly distributed cellulite everywhere! and I AM NOT lean and fit. Luckily I’m a photographer and can edit the **** out of my photos to take away those ugly dimples in my arms and legs. LOL

There’s big difference between curvy and super-fit. I want to be super-fit.

I’m slowly learning that simple dieting will eliminate weight, but it won’t tone anything. I have a lot of work ahead of me and I have different things that motivate and push me. I really enjoy this site and I don’t want to feel like “why are you here you’re already at a good weight.”

So to my friends that make those comments…let’s work together towards our goals and be there to support each other.

How many of you have heard comments like this?

Replies

• mavsgurl30
    Options
    this is so true!! i have a small frame (i'm a little under 5ft) , and people think i am overly obsessed with my body because I work out 6 days a week. it's not all about vanity. sure, i want to look good, but it's also about living a healthy lifestyle. people seem to jump to the conclusion that you want to "lose weight" because you work out and diet. but for me, its not about the numbers on the scale. if i can gain some muscle and tone up, i really don't care what the scale says. so don't let it bother you =) some people will never understand.
  • shady81x
    shady81x Posts: 290
    Options
    I have a friend that constantly makes comments when I mention I’m “dieting” or "working out" like, “I don’t know what your complaining about your already skinny. I’m the one that’s fat” “what… are you trying to make yourself disappear?” Those comments really bother me.

Ah yes... those comments! It does get tiresome listening to that over and over, doesn't it?

I'm 1.53m (about 5 ft. I think), and the last time I weighed myself a few mths ago I was almost 48kg. So yep, I've got a small frame even for Asian standards, a healthy BMI and all that. However, I have cellulite on my thighs, a tummy that "leaks over" my jeans and a too-fleshy butt. That is something most people don't see unless they go to the pool with me (even then most will just say it's "nothing" compared to what they have). All they see is my thin wrists (nothing I can do about my bone structure, can I?) my sized "S" tops and they assume I am underweight, then roll their eyes when I tell them I need to do some fat reduction.

Gets me so irked at times =(
  • babyburr
    Options
    I can totally agree with you. I have bought clothing that slims and sucks everything in to hide what I dont want others to see. The bottom line for me is to feel fit, to feel sexy in my own skin. I would love to look in the mirror without any of the body shaping clothing and think that I am sexy. It isn't about the numbers on the scale. It is all about how we feel looking at our bodies in the mirror, about what lies beneath what they cant see.

I hate it even more when they make comments about eating disorders. It is so discouraging. They make me feel like I am sick, when really all I want to do is avoid the complications of being 'not fit'. It is a hard battle and this forum is a great place to look for others like us. Its great when we find find support and encouragement.

-kristine
  • nicxox
    nicxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm now at, what I would call, my perfect weight, and I'm now wearing (UK) size 10 clothes which is amazing. However, I still have plenty of wobbly bits that I need to work on which is why I'm still watching what I eat and exercising. Other people don't see this, which leads to the most irritating comment ever:

"You're going to end up anorexic!" asdfghjk!!!!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Hehe, people wonder wtf when I mention I want to strip the fat. It doesn't bother me, though, because I'm too stubborn to take on-board their criticisms.

Why not just say you want to work your cardio-vascular system and lead a more healthy lifestyle.

What it comes down to is that they are jealous that you want to improve yourself and it highlights the fact that they haven't got the willpower, self-discipline or motivation to do so. Perhaps. :happy:
  • fit_fitter_fittest
    Options
    I'm so tired of everyone trying to stop me from working out and watching what I eat. All they say is 'You don't need t workout, you're already skinny'. God knows how much I hate it. They don't see what's underneath :P I have a tummy and I have thighs and arms that are flabby. It's annoying and it always spoils my mood when my mom says it.
  • kristenlees122
    Options
    ah! totally agree. it bugs me the most because how do people know i wasnt fat before? like, what do you think happens to a overweight person that works out, eats healthy and reaches their goal weight? do people think they can just stop working out and eating healthy? no! people shouldnt assume because one works out and eats healthy that they want to lose weight - i want to lose a few pounds, but i dont care if the scales stay the same and my body changes, as thats what i really want - to be fit, healthy and toned!
    anyway, vent over! :)
  • Gladiolus
    Gladiolus Posts: 20
    Options
    "Misery loves company."

Friends and family don't want to lose your company at the pub or the dessert table or on the couch. They would much prefer thinking that if you're not 50 pounds overweight and still concerned about getting in shape, then you must be suffering from dysmorphia and eating disorders.
  • Tlove1111
    Tlove1111 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right! So annoying when people tell me I'm going to look bad if I get thinner..well...News flash!!! Not trying to get thinner! Just trying to tone up this soft stuff on my body called "fat"
    I may look thin, but I still have cellulite on my a**! Haha
  • rachaela06
    rachaela06 Posts: 167
    Options
    At this point, I just stop listening to everyone's comments. I want my body to be tone, I want to eat right and avoid health issues. What do I care what someone thinks I should look like or be. For once, I'm proud of myself because I'm busting butt taking care of me. Someone recently asked if I was trying to shrink away to nothing, I just said no, I'm trying to shrink myself into healthy. I just feel too good to let these people bring me down:)
  • whipsmart10014
    Options
    I hear ya. I stopped using the word "diet' and replaced it with "lifestyle change" - which is more accurate, anyway.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options

Ah yes... those comments! It does get tiresome listening to that over and over, doesn't it?

I'm 1.53m (about 5 ft. I think), and the last time I weighed myself a few mths ago I was almost 48kg. So yep, I've got a small frame even for Asian standards, a healthy BMI and all that. However, I have cellulite on my thighs, a tummy that "leaks over" my jeans and a too-fleshy butt. That is something most people don't see unless they go to the pool with me (even then most will just say it's "nothing" compared to what they have). All they see is my thin wrists (nothing I can do about my bone structure, can I?) my sized "S" tops and they assume I am underweight, then roll their eyes when I tell them I need to do some fat reduction.

Gets me so irked at times =(

ALL THIS!!!! when I can't get my size 26 jeans up past my thighs and my belly hangs over my 28s there is something to be said about skinny fat.....