The work place temptations

Options
I work in a very small office but even so we manage to have big temptations around all the time.

There's often an open box of chocolates in view of my work station, we have 'cake days' (I kid you not) and someone is always offering to go for a Starbucks run!

So what kind of temptations do you face through out the day and how do you deal without throwing a stapler at someone?

Replies

• Ericacea
    Options
    Our office secretary sends out e-mails whenever someone brings in goodies. Today we had doughnuts AND fudge. Additionally, it seems like everyone always wants to get fast food for lunch. On days I'm in a good mood, I think I'm pretty good at avoiding it. I've been thinking of bringing in healthy snacks for everyone as a way of combating temptation, but sometimes I secretly of gloat about my officemates (most of whom I like) getting fat from eating all of the sweets and myself looking thinner in comparison. Maybe I'm just evil, but I figure whatever gets me through the day.

Honestly, the drinking is the worst for me. Alcohol has so many calories. I enjoy good wine and beer and have been a social drinker for years, but I feel like I can't make/keep friends in my department without going to bars with them. I don't sit around at home wanting to drink, but when everyone else is doing it, I'm really tempted. However, I really don't want to fall into the bad habits I saw other girls doing in college. Some people would not eat all day to save calories for drinking, and others did purging. I've never tried either, and I don't want to. I'm not sure if working out extra on days I know I will be asked out is a viable option, or just more unhealthy behavior. A girl I know takes Fridays and Saturdays "off" dieting and still loses weight, but I'm not sure that would work for me. :/
  • Clael11
    Clael11 Posts: 12
    Options
    I also work in a small office. Our hotel has cookies in the lobby 24-7.. They are so good!! I have been avoiding them though. Still get cravings. Also when someone orders in, they will always ask. It is sometimes difficult to say no I have my turkey and string cheese!

One thing I am trying to improve is my posture while sitting at the desk. I recently had breast reduction surgery. Went from DD to C, so posture has improved to do the change. I still find myself slouching. Any suggestions? How about those balance ball chairs?
  • mloftus2
    Options
    i too work in a small office and as an admin assistant, its part of my job to refill the break room with all kinds of snacks and goodies. they got me good when i first started working and probably contributed to my weight gain (along with sitting in my chair and car all day). we also order a catered lunch on fridays and that most always comes with a cake or pie for dessert.

Personally i try to stay clear of the break room except for coffee, but if i dont have time for breakfast at home or im starving, i'll try to go with a bar of some sort. i actually really like luna bars, and they're usually between 190-210 calories and have lots of fiber and some protein as well. as far as the group lunchs, its all about portion control. i hate depriving myself of food, especially delicious and good smelling food, so if there's something i really want but its not great for me, i'll only take a bite or 2 and then fill the rest of my plate with salad or healthier options.
  • 140tohealthy
    Options
    I'm responsible for feeding the kids 4 times each day. Breakfast, lunch, snack after naptime, and dinner. The kids get fed some pretty healthy stuff but because most of them are growing, they eat things that wouldn't be good for someone like me (aka, someone with portion control problems... yikes!). Because I'm around food so much, I always have cravings... especially during snack time when we give them crackers. That's one of my weaknesses. Where some people love chocolate (I don't like chocolate at all), I love crackers!!!

It's quite hard to hold back from eating all the time. I've started to have alarms go off on my phone, which tell me when I'm allowed to eat. I feel like that's the only way to curb the cravings. Today I discovered something different, though. Whereas I would usually snack on the carbs, today I decided to fill up a glass of water and drink it whenever I felt a craving. It took me a long time to realize that hunger and cravings are two very different things!
  • karagav
    karagav Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    the group homes i work in have every food imagineable...it's insane. the worst is when i work overnight shifts and there's no one there to keep track of what i'm eating...i've gone on some serious binges on those shifts...ice cream sandwiches, chips, pop, fruit snacks, popcorn, you name it. i ALWAYS pack my food when i go to work now, no question about it!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    We have similar in our office. Management occasionally bring in big tins of chocolates to keep spirits up, we have regular buffets to celebrate birthdays, weddings, pregnancies, and people bring in snacks randomly as well.

That was the hardest part of turning to a healthy lifestyle, for me. I had no trouble resisting elsewhere, but my brain had the mentality that if I avoided the chocolate at work it WOULD be eaten by someone else, and saw that as a big problem. Took a long time to train myself to enjoy one or two chocolates within my calorie limit, then accept that other people eating the chocolates WAS fine.
  • lulabox
    lulabox Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    We have postgraduate tea and cake every week and lots of sweets in the office. There are vending machines everywhere. We also have lab meetings twice a week and there is always cake or biscuits.

Hard to resist! Had some biscuits yesterday... I gave in because I was having a bad day and feeling meh. Must resist next time

Oh and my house is full of chocolates. Some of my flatmates work in school so they get given chocolates from parents as a thank you!
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options
    One of our clients is Unilever, so we have 4 freezers filled with Ben & Jerry's, Dove Ice Cream bars, and Magnum Ice Cream bars, on constant supply. Not to mention the always there movie theater popcorn with extra butter in the popcorn machine at all times!
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    One of our clients is Unilever, so we have 4 freezers filled with Ben & Jerry's, Dove Ice Cream bars, and Magnum Ice Cream bars, on constant supply. Not to mention the always there movie theater popcorn with extra butter in the popcorn machine at all times!

OMG how do you do it?! I thought I had it bad with our monthly carry-ins and the hospital cafeteria downstairs.... This month we've decided to have a Healthy carry in for valentine's day... we'll see how that goes...
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I just get bored. There are temptations sometimes and I usually am fine. But I will just think oh what can I eat now I don't want to do that task....or do I eat now or in 2 hours when I get home, am I hungry? hmmm I drive myself to distraction
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options

OMG how do you do it?! I thought I had it bad with our monthly carry-ins and the hospital cafeteria downstairs.... This month we've decided to have a Healthy carry in for valentine's day... we'll see how that goes...

It's hard!!! I am able to work from home 2-3 days a week, so it makes it somewhat easier. When I'm in the office, I make sure to pack my own snacks so I don't even go near the freezers. I bought for my office one of those single serve smoothie blenders and pack my own bananas and PB and stuff to make smoothies, so all I need to do is go in and get ice from the freezer! It's great!!
  • horsessrb
    horsessrb Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I work in a office that provides us with all the snacks, coffee, and soda we want. Plus, the boss usually pays to have lunch brought in once a week. While this sounds like a great perk, I'm always surrounded by cheetos and free pizza. Ugh!

I convinced the office to start ordering in fruit and pop chips so there are at least some healthier/lower cal options to choose from. I now always bring my lunch so that I have no excuse to eat the junk that gets brought in.

My new trick is whenever I want a snack, I first drink a cup of green or black tea. I'm usually reaching for a snack out of boredom that anything else and it helps curb the appetite a bit.
  • kendrafox
    kendrafox Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It is easier where I am. I am in my own classroom, so the food that I come in contact with is what I bring. We do have vending machines in the teachers lounge, but I try not to bring in money so that I can not access them. The worst part is being right next to the cafetiera. I have a weakness for rolls. Today it smells of fresh baked rolls!!! Ugh. It is a day to keep the door closed.
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Whenever it's someone's birthday, they bring in cakes, cookies and doughnuts, etc. and that seems to be at least once every two weeks. I'm normally very good at avoiding the place where the cakes are laid out :smile:

The vending machines at work have a really good mechanism in place to put me off raiding them whenever the temptation crosses me... it's called the price lol:laugh: Not kidding - 70p for a single bag of crisps, or a bar of chocolate! Do they think they are made of gold? I suppose the fact that I'm a bit of a skinflint does help with the snack cravings, as I'd rather go hungry that pay prices like that hehe
  • shanalivee
    Options
    I'm responsible for feeding the kids 4 times each day. Breakfast, lunch, snack after naptime, and dinner. The kids get fed some pretty healthy stuff but because most of them are growing, they eat things that wouldn't be good for someone like me (aka, someone with portion control problems... yikes!). Because I'm around food so much, I always have cravings... especially during snack time when we give them crackers. That's one of my weaknesses. Where some people love chocolate (I don't like chocolate at all), I love crackers!!!

It's quite hard to hold back from eating all the time. I've started to have alarms go off on my phone, which tell me when I'm allowed to eat. I feel like that's the only way to curb the cravings. Today I discovered something different, though. Whereas I would usually snack on the carbs, today I decided to fill up a glass of water and drink it whenever I felt a craving. It took me a long time to realize that hunger and cravings are two very different things!

ahh i work with kids too and ritz crackers and cheese can not be around me!!!!!!!! and the apple juice! ahhh it is so tough not to just take a little piece. Oh or the chicken nuggets and tator tots!!!!!

I hate snacking because i hate to log on to MFP and search for .5 of a serving or .2 of a cup.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I work in a location that's about 30 mins away from town (a mine site office) so I'm lucky that I'm not tempted to go out and eat lunch, or go out for coffee - BUT! Our suppliers are always bringing in doughnuts, coffee, chocolates, muffins (not the good kind either!) etc. To boot, there are multiple vending machines with various pop, specialty coffee (we also get free, plain coffee), chips, candy bars, and your standard pre-packaged sandwiches with 2 week expiry dates - ew! They had a healthy alternative (veggie sticks and dip) and were selling it for $4!!! Obviously, no one bought it, so they stopped carrying it....opting for more "Heat n' Eat" sandwiches...

*knock on wood* I haven't yet forgotten my lunch, I'm dreadding the day that actually happens and I have to raid the vending machines...