Barn Work??

Options
Hey, folks!

Mom of three with 5 acres. 2 horses (one TN Walker, one Miniature), 6 goats, 1 livestock guardian dog, 3 indoor dogs, 40+ cats, and one Quaker Parrot.

I was wondering if anyone knows what stall cleaning and general barn chores run for calorie burn. Things like lifting/loading hay, etc.

Any information?

Thanks,
Amber

Replies

• KCoyoteco
    Options
    I don't count any "work" that is physical. My brother told me years ago that it simply does not count in a true fitness program. Through the years, I have decided that he was right. Besides, that's something I do on a regular basis so isn't an added thing to promote fitness and use of calories in excess or my norm. There is someone on here who says that mucking stalls is counted as about 500 per hour - so that means that it's a pretty significant calory burn.
  • Jennywhooo
    Options
    I sooo wish I was burning 1500 calories a day mucking stalls lol
  • jingoace
    jingoace Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Amber,

I have added my own catagory to the cardio exercises of "cleaning stalls" 30 min = 120 calories burnt. I chose that cal burn level because you can see raking leaves already in cardio exercises at that burn level. Yes, I clean 5 stalls daily, BUT I usually only add it to cardio on the weekends, when I have NOT done any other cardio. I too, do believe, your body begins to ignore your 30 minutes (or whatever #) of stall cleaning because you do it EVERY DAY & the body gets used to it....so I don't count THAT as cardio.

For heavy liffting, like unloading a truckload of hay by myself, I will use the cardio that is already in the MFP list of exercises - it says Strength Training (weight lifting/heavy lifting), I think it is 60 min = 242 calories burnt. Since I don't buck hay but once a month or so, I consider that "above & beyond" my daily chores & I do add it into my exercise log.
    Everyone is different, & imho, if your barn chores are difficult enough that it makes you sweat, then I would add it into your exercise log. Do what works for you.

:) J
  • SophinMaine
    SophinMaine Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    When I clean 3 stalls, do the water, lift hay etc, I do add it as cardio, because I don't do it everyday (4 days a week at the most), and because I sweat when doing it, a lot more than if I were, say just walking for 1 hour. Plus these days, horse/barn chores also involves carrying water buckets up to the paddock on snowy / slippery ground. For me it's definitely exercise!

Today I only cleaned my horse's stall and it was easy, so I am not counting it.
  • amberj0629
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! What you were saying about daily work, etc, makes sense. Since that isn't really daily work for me at this point, I sweat quite a bit when doing so, so I am going to count it until the sweat stops. :-D Thanks for everyone's input!