Any Dads responsible for cooking for kiddos?

Options
ken1994
ken1994 Posts: 495 Member
My wife and I work opposite schedules several nights a week and I have a hard enough time eating healthy myself. I am looking for the swaps for staples, aka chicken nuggets, hot dogs, spaghetti. Any ideas?

Replies

• bcraig26
    bcraig26 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I make my kids broccoli cheese quesadillas and use plain yogurt as a dip. They like those a lot. We also eat Morningstar Farms blackbean burgers. Costco or Trader Joe's fish sticks are good and not terribly unhealthy. I'm sure there are others too, hope this helps.
  • ken1994
    Options
    Thank you!
  • MichaelWWoods
    MichaelWWoods Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I wife is an attorney and I work east coast hours in Los Angeles, which allows me to watch my 3 yo in afternoons/evenings. I am the family chief.

Things I do with my son:

* Durcal black beans (look in Mexican specialty section of your local grocer) -- great bc the beans are chopped up and great for helping young children learn to use spoons since the beans stick to the spoon. They are also really healthy. I like to spread some beans as part of a cheese quesadilla.

* Son loves Dinosaurs, so I bought one of those dyno sandwich shapes. I now make Dyno cheese sandwich, Dyno PB&J, etc.

* Turkey burgers from Costco (200 cal pattie) great with rice (and supppper easy since you cook a frozen pattie. 10 minutes or so on a Foreman/grill -- done.

Open to new ideas.
  • MichaelWWoods
    MichaelWWoods Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    One more thing.... this is a recipe I heard about the other day that evidently kids love. I plan to try it soon.

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/mustard-baked-chicken-with-a-pretzel-crust
  • ken1994
    Options
    Thanks! Always looking for more ideas!
  • patcp1
    Options
    I made a chicken and broccoli w/rice recipe for my boys and they pretty much ate it all. It suprised me but apparently as long as the rice came along with the meal they didn't care that they were eating vegetables like they usually do. I usually get many of the recipes from Recipes.com. If you want to change up the store bought chicken nuggets with some homemade there is a great recipe on the Bisquick box that my boys love. I am not sure how the calories pan out, but I know it is a fairly light meal and the kids have fun helping me make it.
  • patcp1
    Options
    I forgot about one my entire family really loves! Ham and Black bean wraps.

1 cup cubed ham
    1 can black beans (drained)
    1 can diced tomato (drained)
    1/2 yellow onion
    1 green bell pepper
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp corriander
    1/4 tsp black pepper

Simmer all ingredients in pan until cooked through. Then put a quarter cup of mix in flour tortilla with approx 2 Tbsps shredded mild cheddar, wrap and enjoy!
  • ken1994
    Options
    I forgot about one my entire family really loves! Ham and Black bean wraps.

1 cup cubed ham
    1 can black beans (drained)
    1 can diced tomato (drained)
    1/2 yellow onion
    1 green bell pepper
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp corriander
    1/4 tsp black pepper

Simmer all ingredients in pan until cooked through. Then put a quarter cup of mix in flour tortilla with approx 2 Tbsps shredded mild cheddar, wrap and enjoy!

That sounds good, will have to try that one out.
    Thanks,
    Ken