Questions about Heart Rate Monitors

Options
Someone mentioned using heart rate monitors. So, how do you use them? What are the benefits? I can see using one's being motivational and perhaps encouraging you to step up the pace of your activity - like running to the barn rather than walking type of thing.

Also, I've read threads where people use human heart rate monitors for their horses since the horse ones are more expensive. Are there some human ones that are more suitable to transfering over to equine use?

I actually dont' even know how much they cost so come to this thread with very little knowledge of the subject.

Replies

• jingoace
    jingoace Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    kc,

If you search the MFP regular message board, there is already a Wealth of information on HRM... usage, costs, experiences, etc.

Since this group is so small, you may want to post the Horse HRM question on the regular COTH bulletin board, where you'll
    have WAY more posters who may have done what you suggest - using human HRM on horses - and they are generally quite happy to share their experiences/ info.

imho, of course, :) J
  • KCoyoteco
    Options
    I was thinking of posting the question on the endurance board. Thankks!
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have not used a HRM on my horses, but I have seen it used during marathons a few years ago. I do know the human HRMs have a band you wrap around your ribcage/chest (just under your boobs) and there is an armband that collects all the data. where has the HRM for horses attached to the girth.

The pros far outweigh the cons on using a HRM. Example, some people are surprised about the calories burned during barn work or riding because MFP's database for calorie burning is quite general.

I have found that my 'friends' on MFP that workout that use a HRM will lose more weight quicker because they are getting an accurate reading on what their bodies are burning. Thus can intake calories better.

The MFP databases are quite..... exaggerated for some exercises, so people were still over eating.

Also HRMs for horses I think is more geared towards resting/working/return to resting heart rates; where as human HRM can count calories burned, help you maintain a certain heart rate per minute. etc.

I hope this helps.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I don't know a thing about the equine application, but I know I love my HRM.

I use mine for the reasons onawho mentioned. The calorie counts provided by MFP seem to be ridiculously high and I was noticing a lack of consistency in the numbers the treadmill and elliptical were giving me. The elliptical often gave me a low number.

I use a Polar FT4 monitor whenever I am doing any cardio. It gives me a much more reliable calorie burn count and it has been fun to watch how my fitness has improved as I continued to exercise. When I started using it back in October I would consistently get my HR up to the high 190s when running and my resting rate was 80 bpm. Now when I run, my HR stays under 175 during sprints and my resting HR is 55.
  • KCoyoteco
    Options
    Yeah, I agree that the calorie counts for exercise are not what I expected them to be. I don't really count the calories burned anyway. I'm thinking that an hrm might be a good addition to the program. Thanks for the information about them.
    Skylark, you've attained great results! Onawho, that definitely helps - a great overview of what it does. Thanks.!