mattresses

Options
RILEYRED
RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
Does anyone here get a good nights sleep because they have a good mattress? We have a SLEEP # BED, and really don't like it, but, it cost a small fortune, so we are kind of stuck with it. We tried out a POSTURPEDIC bed recently and it was amazing. Does anyone have one of those, and if so, how do you rate it? I know laying on a bed for 10 minutes can't tell the whole story, so hoping to find people with that kind of foam mattress. Thanks

Replies

• RILEYRED
    Options
    That might be THERAPEDIC instead of POSTURPEDIC, sorry.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not... I replaced my $1300 body glove mattress with one of those boxed memory foam ones that were $399 at walmart (it's an obusform brand). And i absolutely love it!! I was having days that I just couldn't get up in the morning I was in so much pain. I would be in tears for hours after my hubby pried me out of bed.

Since i got the cheap memory foam I haven't had more than a handful of days like that. I think I'll buy a temperpedic one when this one needs replacing. I almost bought the sleep number bed but just couldn't justify the price at the time when I didn't even know if it would help or not and we don't have any stores locally to test them out in.
  • RILEYRED
    Options
    That's really good information, Roni, thanks. Some people like the sleep #, we are very disappointed in ours.
  • californiahomegirl
    californiahomegirl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, Riley Red! We have a Tempurpedic (Swedish memory foam) mattress. It used to be very comfortable for me, but now that I'm achier, I sleep in the guest room on the soft, sagging mattress! It was meant to be a temporary fix when I had bursitis in my shoulder, but every time I try to go back, the tempurpedic bed feels like a concrete slab! I also have a harder time breathing on the harder mattress. But if you like a firm mattress, it may be good for you. A queen size Tempurpedic these days runs around $2000, so it helps to be sure. Sounds like Roni's less expensive Walmart foam may be a good place to start.
  • LensLuvah
    LensLuvah Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is so helpful... thank you for starting it! Right now we have a pillow-top regular (spring) mattress. On top of that is a featherbed. It's more comfortable, but I really want to get something better.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have seen recent advertisements for the sleep number with a memory foam topper. Sounds interesting, but I just don't think I can order a mattress without being able to test it out. The sleep number interested me because hubby likes a firm mattress. He actually recommends the cheap one to everyone now! So even he is sold.

We bought the cheap one just to get me through until I figured out what I wanted (hubby was pretty upset when my normal mornings turned into a cry-fest!). That was about 3 years ago and I'm still loving my cheapie... Even my 18 year old crawls into bed with me in the morning because she loves it!

Temperpedic comes in different "firmness" levels and I probably will need a soft one. Wendy...do you know which one you have?
  • RILEYRED
    Options
    I love this topic, lol,I am easy to please!!!! I love that the cheaper mattress has proven so far to be the best!!! My husband said, after we had the sleep# for a couple years, we should have bought a cheap one, and just replace it about every 3 years!!hmmmmm!!!! Thanks also, wendyjo for the info on your mattress, makes me stop to think now, I have been after my husband about getting one, but I guess that is pretty stupid to make a judgement call after only testing it for 15-20 minutes!!
  • catlady66
    Options
    I know this will sound absolutely horrible, but I've had my pillow-top mattress since I was pregnant with my third child, 17 years. YIKES! I know some docs say that's not healthy. However, it's in good shape. With my condition in the last few years the bed was not cushioned enough for us. Last year my husband brought home one of those Walmart-sold therma-something type mattress toppers and we LOVE it.
  • catlady66
    Options
    I am happy we are all talking about this. When my hubby and I sell our house in the next few years (2 or 3) I think we are on the same page about replacing our mattress and box spring set then. Has anyone bought the bed that the head elevates, a foam one I think? He snores like a freight train and usually sleeps on multiple pillows. He also has severe back and hip problems following cancer ten years ago.
  • catlady66
    Options
    Okay one more from me and I'll stop. While posting the last comment, a Sleep-Number add was the header on add space up above!! :laugh:
  • RILEYRED
    Options
    I keep hearing good things about the inexpencive mattress from Walmart. That is really good to know, thanks.
  • lhulewsky
    lhulewsky Posts: 50
    Options
    Wow...I stumbled onto this topic thread and I'm glad I did. i was contemplaiting purchasing a Temperpedic but after reading all the comments I think I'll check out the Wal-Mart cheapie. Thanks to everyone for your comments. I haven't slept through the night in years and my rest is anything but restful. Thanks all...
  • khaosstar
    khaosstar Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I inherited a year old but uncomfortable pillowtop bed last year. Instead of tossing it I bought a 4 inch memory foam topper and have a heated mattress pad over that for really bad days. The foam topper was just over a hundred bucks at Walmart and I can't recommend it enough. So much cheaper than buying a new mattress set and I couldn't be more comfortable.
  • clairegreen1974
    clairegreen1974 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My hubby works at a foam factory that supplies cushions and memory foam mattresses to many big names, so we've got the memory foam matress - best thing we ever did!! get one!