What are you reading?

Options

Replies

• TeeferTiger
    TeeferTiger Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If you're not bothered about owning them, use a library :happy: I just can't get my head around the cost of a Kindle book. I know there are ways ::::ahem:::: of "acquiring" them free of charge. I think that's the only way I'd use one. I was thinking about getting a tabet for when I start my OU courses again so I can read the PDF files on there instead of carting the books around with me so I can study elsewhere. My hubby was going to get me a Kindle for Xmas until he realised that I really didn't want one. I think he loves the fact I'm a cheap date :laugh:
  • Anna_43
    Anna_43 Posts: 117
    Options
    Nearly finished Girl in Translation last night - great book.

My library has online catalogue, I can order what I want and they email me when it is ready for collection - all free.

I normally order 10 books or so - always have something to read at home.

LOve my books but would not buy/store as I do not read the same book twice...
  • Caitlinhappymeal
    Caitlinhappymeal Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    ScrewyChars-6355572
  • TeeferTiger
    Options
    But that's what libraries are for too, so you're not buying them. I don't buy huge amounts of books, only mainly ones for study at the moment. Like I said, the only way I'd get on with a Kindle at the moment is if the books were pretty much free. Then again, the books I like to read aren't in the best sellers list anyway so I doubt they'd be costing much. Then again, I saw one of the study books I've got on Amazon had a Kindle version, and it was only a few £s cheaper :noway: Most of the wood comes from pine forests anyway, which are managed forests. However, I also don't really agree with them seeing as they're taking up space where native species could go.

Anyway, rant over :happy:
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'm reading Bridget Jones Edge of Reason at the moment. I also love Sophie Kinsella and I love Jodi Picoult (have read almost all of hers).

Oh and I adore my kindle. At first I didn't think I would want one but then when I started my current job with a very long commute I started to think that buying 1-2 books per week is a) expensive - much cheaper with Kindle and lots of the books I already have were free, classics I mean and b) takes up a lot of space in my flat. Not to mention my handbag - it's no longer book vs packed lunch or gym stuff!
  • TeeferTiger
    Options
    I hope you're not driving on this commute... :laugh:
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Ha! Reminds me of a time I had to stop playing a mindfullness CD in the car as I was getting too relaxed to drive.

I'm reading The Road Home (Rose Tremain). My last book was The Lacuna, which I loved.

I have to have paper books but have bought my kids kindles as a) it's a national emergency when they run out of books b) I can't transport enough books for them on holidays and stay under the luggage weight allowance.
  • LilMissFoodie
    Options
    I hope you're not driving on this commute... :laugh:

hahaha nope, 2 mid-length train journeys and quite a long walk (which is good really, some forced exercise even if I don't feel like it). Lately I've had a bit too much on my mind though and finding I can't focus on my reading which makes me a bit sad :(
  • LilMissFoodie
    Options
    I tried really hard to read Sophie Kinsella once and failed. Not for me I don't think.

Yeah, I can see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. I think she does quite a variety though. I liked 'twenties girl' and I've liked some of the Madeline Wickham books but I can't bring myself to read the shopaholic series (mostly because I hated the movie so much!).

Tried to read 'One day' too but I found the characters really annoying so didn't get too far.
  • LilMissFoodie
    Options
    Oh poor you.. there was times when I was reading "Advanced Calculus" so feel for you ;)

Advanced Calculus was one of my favourites :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:
  • Anna_43
    Options
    I watched the movie only AFTER I read the book.

The movie was truly awful, book was great.

Undomesticated Goddess (book) was brilliant too, hope they never make it into a movie ;)

Yup, she writes completely different stuff under the other name...
  • Mariannewww
    Options
    I am on a wierd jag with my reading starting with aron ralston 127 hours now I'm on "into the wild" by John can't remember last name and next I'm going to see if I can get touching the void by Joe Simpson. Last month it was a classics fest and next I think I might fancy some post modernist Virginia Woolf and dh Lawrence.

Oh and definitely a kindle fan. Loved paper but trying to prop up a hardback in the bath or lying on a beach makes having the kindle a dream some times I just lie on my side and prop it up in the case hands free reading!
  • Anna_43
    Options
    Half way through:

51ducJXeR9L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg
  • LilMissFoodie
    Options
    Oh and definitely a kindle fan. Loved paper but trying to prop up a hardback in the bath or lying on a beach makes having the kindle a dream some times I just lie on my side and prop it up in the case hands free reading!

Totally agree! Even without a case it's easily one-handed which is useful when you have to stand on a train - no need to wait until the stops to change the page!!
  • TeeferTiger
    Options
    Oh poor you.. there was times when I was reading "Advanced Calculus" so feel for you ;)

Advanced Calculus was one of my favourites :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

I didn't mind Calculus because I quite like algebra.

Biology exams are all over now! Until June :grumble:
  • mrlazy1967
    mrlazy1967 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Currently on Private Games - James Patterson, and 13 Things That Don't Make Sense - popular science book.

Before those was - I, Partridge: We Need to Talk About Alan - Steve Coogan/Alan Partridge
  • ijustwalkedin
    ijustwalkedin Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    so happy to find a discussion that isn't just about diets, food and exercise!
    I'm currently reading my through the Sherlock Holmes short stories. I love the BBC series and after series 1 was inspired to read the novels. I thought they were brilliant so carried on with the short stories.

I would say that if you haven't read them yet and want to, don't do it all in one go as they can get a bit formulaic.
  • gtfcnat
    gtfcnat Posts: 199
    Options
    51dItUi6nVL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-46,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

On a hot summer's day in 1931, three five-year-olds meet on a dusty street in a small Midwestern town, beginning a friendship that will last all their lives. Kathryn, the oldest in an ever-expanding family, is bright and earnest, and thinks she wants to become a nurse. Starling is an only child with an absent father. He doesn't yet know that he is of mixed race-he doesn't even know what that means-all he knows is that when he grows up he will be a star. Luke doesn't know what he wants, except for his older brother not to be dead. Together they experience the joys and pains of childhood, although the anxieties of puberty and awakening sexuality nearly destroy their three-way friendship forever. Reaching adulthood after World War II, they follow their dreams to New York City, where they discover that not even Manhattan is free of racism and prejudice.Through the years of their ever-entwined adult lives some dreams are realized while others grow dim, but one constant remains: their bond of friendship. At the book's end, some seventy years after it began, only one of them remains to tell the story of their lives, and of what happened...in the meantime.
  • Anna_43
    Options
    518B5lNycxL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Sophie Hayes was in her early twenties when she was forced into prostitution in Italy. Following her horrifying orders, Sophie is rebuilding her life in London. She is working with the charity STOP THE TRAFFIK and the William Wilberforce Trust to raise awareness of trafficking and to help other women life herself. To date she has worked with Cherie Blair, the Metropolitan Police and the UN.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trafficked-Terrifying-Story-British-Forced/dp/0007438885/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328208912&sr=8-1

When anyone posts what they read, if possible - could you pls post image of the book and a link to it on amazon for more info?

May help others (read:me) to pick something I may I mean they may like ;)
  • kit8kat
    kit8kat Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm reading a book called Run Fat *****, Run by Ruth Field.

It is a fantastic, no nonsense and humorous approach to getting your bottom off the sofa and out in the fresh air.

I highly recommend this for anyone who is thinking about starting running or anyone who wants to get back into it.

Not for the sensitive but definitely for the realist.

Read! Enjoy! Run! :-)