30 day shred

Options
I've see it talked about on cdfbh and was thinking about giving it a try. Anyone want to start as a group for motivation. It's $6.xx on amazon I'm getting burned out on my elliptical just bought it last month. Need something else.

Replies

• donniesgirrl
    Options
    I have it & need to try it. :) I do the elliptical at home, but I think this would be fun variety.
  • mom2jrn
    Options
    I started it today with a group on here doing it from February 1st until March 1st. So I might be a few days ahead but I'm in!
  • AJones1021
    AJones1021 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna lie, I'm scared of the Shred! :sad:
  • kimnmiah
    Options
    My shred will be delivered tomorrow and I'll be starting this weekend. My dh agreed to do it with me so we will suffer together.
  • Kelgirl36
    Options
    I started the 30 DS 9 days ago. I'm still doing level 1, but I'm going to move up to level 2 in the next day or two. I figure I'll spend about 10 days on each level, then maybe start over with heavier weights. The first few days were pretty tough and my legs were soooo sore. Like so sore I could barely get from a sitting to standing position or walk up and down the stairs. After a week it's a lot easier and I can tell I'm getting stronger. I feel like all the suffering will be worth it. If anyone else starts soon don't give up in the first few days! It does get easier.
  • mom2jrn
    Options
    Good to hear! I'm on Day 3 and going up and down the stairs is killer right now.
  • kimnmiah
    Options
    Just finished day 1 and I live to tell about it. It definitely a good workout but honestly I was expecting worse. Let's see if I'm still saying that tomorrow.
  • luvsdeals
    luvsdeals Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I did day 1 of level 2 yesterday and boy did I feel it this morning. Level 1 didn't leave me so sore but waking up this morning I could just feel it just doing nothing in bed. There are a ton of planks in it.
  • mom2jrn
    Options
    I'm on day 5 and I can tell I'm getting better with the push ups and crunches and the endurance but I have a really hard time with the lunges. I'm also sick of hearing her talk so much!
  • Kelgirl36
    Options
    I've started on level 2 now and it seems to really be affecting my knees. My knee was already sore during level 1, so I don't think it's something particular to level 2. I can't do a normal jumping jack or go all the way down on my lunges because my left knee is so sore. Has anyone else had this problem? I've been trying to work on using better form and gave myself a break on Saturday and Sunday to heal a bit, but my knee is still hurting.
  • BklynMamacita
    BklynMamacita Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am not doing 30 day shred but just LOL on talking too much. I am doing her Shed and Shred with weights kettlebell workouts every other day because I do other cardio on the other days and she does really talk too much. I really like the effectiveness of her workouts though. I actually really like Chalene from Turbo Jam. Her workouts are effective but she is very motivating. The time goes by so fast when I am doing her workouts.
  • mom2jrn
    Options
    I'm having problems with my knee as well. Last year, the first time I tried this I think I ended up quiting after 4 or 5 days because I could barely walk up and down the stairs I was in so much pain. (From my knees not muscle.) Today will be day 9 and I'm waiting until tonight to do it so that I'm giving my knee a little rest today. I'm afraid I will have to quit again because I also have to be able to dance for this musical I'm in and I have 2 hours of dance practice Friday night, 3 hours of rehearsal on Saturday morning followed by 2 more hours of dance practice and 2 more hours on Sunday. I can't screw up my knee and not be able to dance.
  • kimnmiah
    Options
    The shred hasn't been hurting my actual knee just the tendons and muscles. I did however have a lot of trouble with 1 of my knees when I started the elliptical last month. I asked one of the physical therapist where I worked what I should do and she said to work through it and ice after workouts. That's what I did and it hardly biothers me any more. It does pop a lot though. I am way to young to have problems with my knees.
  • kimnmiah
    Options
    Btw I will being doing day 5 of level 1 tonight. I took last night off from the shred and only did the elliptical because my endurance was really bad the day before and I figured I was over doing it. Dh did it once and promises to do it again tonight.
  • luvsdeals
    Options
    I find I have to just do the music because she says words we don't use in this house. Leslie Sansone from Walk away the Pounds talks a lot but I don't ever notice it because she's so kind and upbeat.
  • Kelgirl36
    Options
    I just wanted to give my update. After 30 days I lost somewhere between 6 and 7 pounds. I still can't do all of the exercises the advanced way, but I'm getting better and I definitely have better endurance for the cardio now. I can make it through the videos without needing any kind of break. The weight loss is probably not that different than what I would have lost with the 20-25 minutes of jogging I was doing before I started this, but I think the video gets me to use a lot of different muscles and is a better overall workout.

I got the Jillian Michaels banish fat, boost metabolism video and I think I'm going to try that next. That one is about 45 minutes and has more of the circuits, so I'm hoping to use that for a better workout on days when I have a little more time. I think I need to find a few other things to mix it up a bit as well.
  • luvsdeals
    Options
    That's a great update! I've bet you've lost more inches too than you would have just jogging.
  • Kelgirl36
    Options
    Thanks! I wish I had been measuring the inches because that would be interesting to see. It would probably also keep me more motivated to see inches coming off when it seems like the weight loss has slowed a bit. Hopefully I'm adding some muscle in addition to getting rid of fat. :smile:
  • travellingmama
    travellingmama Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    There is a 30 Day Shred through the month of March group that I have joined on MFP. I had already done a few days before I found the group so I am ahead in case I need to skip days.

Has anyone heard that Jillian thinks you should do 2 days Shred, 1 day Cardio, 2 days Shred, 1 day rest? I think that might work better for me because my intensity was dying on day 3. I don't think I have pause the video that much since my first try at it last year.
  • kimnmiah
    kimnmiah Posts: 30
    Options
    I haven't been faithfully doin the shred but did it tonight and think I'm finally ready to move to level 2. I started with 3 lb weights and have moved to 5 lb so I guess I'm moving on. The funniest part is my 4 yo wanted to exersice with me tonight and was sooo stinking cute. She was almost keeping up with me including lifting the 3 lb weights. I was so worried she was going to drop the weight on her toe. How the heck do you explain that to the Er? She enjoyed the jumping jacks, butt kicks, punches and crunches.