Did you lose weight when you went vegan?

Options
JT1090
JT1090 Posts: 79 Member
I always get lectured when I ask this question to other vegans. Of course the weight loss doesn't matter but I'm really curious. I eat this way for ethical reasons, not weight loss. I just look at it as an added bonus :smile:

Also, what else did you notice change?

Replies

• kalepowered
    kalepowered Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I was a cheese-aholic vegetarian for many years before going vegan. I dropped a little over ten pounds after going vegan from diet alone, and my weight had been more or less stagnant for years and years. My skin also seems less oily than it used to be. Otherwise, the biggest difference physically (and my favorite) is that I don't feel "icky" or bloated after eating, even if I eat an enormous salad that could really feed three of me. I just feel full & satisfied. Since switching from lots of processed foods to more whole foods, I tend to crave raw fruits & vegetables or a nice hot stew more than processed crap anymore - like I've had a killer craving to eat as many blood oranges as I can get my hands on the last couple days. I am down with these changes.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I really didn't lose weight maybe 5lbs. The big difference was that my face broke out for a few months then cleared up. I read that it was your body getting rid of toxins.
  • JT1090
    JT1090 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    @RYHENBLUE: Before I went vegan I had really bad skin. After I switched my diet it all clearned up minus my forehead which is now way worse now that I'm vegan. I hope it's just my body getting rid of toxins like you said because it's actually painful to touch which doesn't happen often.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    @JT Yea I almost stopped the vegan diet because of it, until I read that other people had the same problem. It lasted for like 4 months before it started to clear.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain or lose a pound. :grumble: A loss would have been most excellent, but it didn't happen. The losses started when I got up off the sofa and MOVED! :happy:
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I did but I think it was because there was less junk for me to reach for. If I wanted something junky most likely I would have to make it myself or make a special trip to the health food store and that made it so much easier to eat well. I've always loved fruits and veggies but ice cream was my weakness. It also makes it easier to eat better when I go out (not very often) but there's usually only 1 item on any menu I'd eat, if that, so I plan to eat ahead and eat lots of side dishes when I go out with friends.
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I lost about 8 pounds in the first two weeks. I went from eating cheese daily to no cheese at all. Some of it came back when I settled into my vegan diet, but that's okay.
  • LucybellMocha
    Options
    I lost a couple of pounds, but what I really noticed was the inches coming off of my waist line! I was already very fit and at a healthy weight, but going vegan has really tweaked it! :) And, the best part...I FEEL good for the first time in years!
  • RealChange31
    RealChange31 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I slowly lost about 10 pounds over the first year, but I think it was due to increased activity rather than my diet.
  • xmoonlitex123
    xmoonlitex123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I actually gained weight at first, but only because I threw myself into it without knowing what I was doing. My mom, who is the one that shops for all the food in the house, also didn't know what foods vegans should be eating. I had such a crappy diet before I joined this website- like an Oreos every day kind of crappy diet. Now that I know just what I need, the pounds are slowly coming off.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've gone low-fat vegan for a number of reasons, weight loss one of them. I count my calories and exercise every day. I'm down 16 pounds at the moment, but part of that was as an ovo-lacto vegetarian.
  • SuperSkinnyE
    Options
    Hi! I lost weight when I became a vegan, but I also starting going to the gym every day and running a lot more consistently. I was suprised to find the added benefits of having a lot more energy and feeling 'clearer' (if that makes sense). I am much happier now that I am a vegan.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I lost 15lbs in 5mths, and I *do* think the weight loss is important, especially if a person is overweight. There are so many diseases related to overweight and obesity.

I went from vegetarian, to whole foods low fat vegan, but I was a runner the whole time. After seeing Forks Over Knives, I switched to the Engine 2 Diet (for convenience..it's a no-brainer with pre-made menus and lists on their website) for a month, then struck out on my own.. I'm happy to report that not only did I lose those 15 lbs, it's still dropping and my recent circulatory health test results were fantastic. win-win-win.

I was vegetarian for health reasons, and then also vegan for health reasons. I was vegetarian when I was a younger adult (late 20s to 30s) but allowed myself to be peer-pressured back into eating meat. I got fat, tried to lose weight by South Beach Diet, then started moving towards the ever-so-attractive-Paleo diet, but quit after a few months when I developed acidosis and diverticulitis. My vegetarian doc, after fixing me, reminded me not quite subtly of the health dangers of animal products and suggested a return to vegetarianism. I'm thankful for my return to good health and a healthy weight but I wish I hadn't had to get so seriously ill to have some sense knocked into me!