Liver function and/or Fatty Liver

Hello everyone:

I wanted to post this topic because I thought it might help someone. Well, I believe at one time or another we have all had those days with the scale when she doesnt budge? You feel like your losing weight ie...your clothers are getting looser and you feel a little lighter but the scale tells you NO!?

Well, I was reading on the internet about different cleanses and various health info and I came across a doctor by the name of Dr Sandra Cabot. Her site is www.liverdoctor.com. She has all sort of info about different topics. If you look under Liver then weight loss you will find this article she writes about having fatty liver and the function of the liver and weight loss.

This sparked my interest because she stated that the liver is the most important organ in the body for losing weight. She said that when we have fatty liver it becomes an organ to store fat instead of burn it.

Wow...this peaked my interest because few years back I had this terrible doctor- he was very rude and it seemed like everything he said was a put down to me because of my weight. He didnt offer advice or help except saying rude things like..."lets face it your Fat and sassy" or "you have fatty liver but I expected that!!!" I felt so bad about myself. I asked what is that and what do I do about it and he didnt say anything. Needless to say...he is no longer my doctor! I had forgot about the fatty liver thing until today.

So, I wondered if you have fatty liver or if your liver is stagnated this could be some of the reason that we have problems with maintaining our weight OR losing weight easier.

Im posting this so it might give someone a spark to look into this and maybe it could be the "saving grace" for you. If anyone has heard about this issue or has any advice or comments please post them.

This is a quote from Dr. Sandra Cabot website: "•The liver is the major fat burning organ in the body and regulates fat metabolism by a complicated set of biochemical pathways. The liver can also pump excessive fat out of the body through the bile into the small intestines. If the diet is high in fiber, this unwanted fat will be carried out of the body via the bowel actions. Thus the liver is a remarkable machine for keeping weight under control, being both a fat burning organ and a fat pumping organ."

12666815.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• H2Ologist
    H2Ologist Posts: 122 Member
    I think that makes sense. I have been on a plateau for about two months now. Which is likely why I have started failing off the website a bit. I was doing a pretty heavy protein diet (mainly protein shakes). My daily diet was REALLY consistent. Not a whole lot of variation to be honest. I was at 1200 calories, I should be still losing, but I wasn’t. So I’m bumping up my calories a bit, pulling back on the protein and boosting the fiber. I had read that the fiber helps your body process the fat and provides a structure for the fat to bind to on the way “out”. I just started bumping up the fiber yesterday, so I’l keep you all posted on how it goes.
  • may I ask what you are aiming for each day for fiber?
  • Mamaincali
    Mamaincali Posts: 65 Member
    Your liver can repair itself as long as it hasn't been too scarred, i.e. cirrhosis of the liver. I was diagnosed with fatty infiltration of the liver a few years back after an ultrasound was done. My blood test also showed very high liver levels. My levels have since come down and my liver is functioning like that of a normal liver. This is just with eating less processed foods and exercise. If you have problems with your liver you need to be careful about eating high fat foods, alcohol and medication.