power walkers

Options
Hi, new to the group so thought I'd post something as a hello.

So i'm not a jogger, i've tried several times and would love to be the type of person who really enjoyed it, but I don't. However, I do love that it is free and all you need is a pair of trainers and some comfy trousers to do it. SO, I've started going for a walk ... I find I'm much happier walking along at a good pace, that I go for longer and that I'm happier to vary my route because I'm not put off by hills (which I always tried to avoid when jogging)

Is anyone else out there a fan of walking? Got any top tips for keeping up the pace or keeping those pesky core muscles engaged? And what about music to walk to?

Replies

• bayles1
    bayles1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Im a real big fan of walking. I walk most day's,like yourself I tend to vary my routes and vary them daily depending on the time. Most of the routes tend to be around the two hours mark. I go at a fair clip,but dont go overboard cos I gotta do it all over again the next day. I tend to keep to the more rural areas and normally have my trusty and very energetic labrador with me,so dont really bother too much with music.

The fresh air,no matter what the weather is so good for the psyche and I must say,rather like yourself,I look out for good hill's and challenging path's to boost the cardio side of thing's. For some strange reason am always drawn to the muddier trails and hills,so beneficial to the leg muscles.

Best bit of advice is probably the most obvious given the basic nature of the exercise and that is clothing. Always wear plenty of layers,get the best boot's/shoes that you can and a good pair of waterproof trousers are a must and will save you a fortune in jeans/trousers in the bad weather.

I have done so many exercise programmes,p90x,insantity etc ,am a keen gym goer,but always end up back walking. I have tried creating hybrids of the above,but I have now settled on the p90x resistance routines and walking each day. This routine seems to suit me the best.

Good luck with your walking and feel free to add me for support.
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    yep power walker here (waving)

I started walking short distances then went a bit longer, then tried a bit faster.
    I signed up to do a walking half marathon last october for cancer resaerch
    and I also started to do parkrun (google it for website) timed 5k every saturday at 9 am - and its free

I did the half marathon in 3hrs 35 minutes.
    I have done parkrun about four times and have got a new pb everytime! pb is now 41:55

i also used the wii to start and when hubby was out so I had to stay in.