Please post your 10K time

Options
Pickles11
Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
I am finally recovered from my horrible shin splints and ready to get back into training for races this summer. I am starting with a 10K because I've never actually done a race before. I can run pretty well (I ran 8K today with sprint intervals) but I want to make a time goal. I have no idea what to make as my goal so I would love some ideas of how fast you can run 10K!

Replies

• charlesb22
    charlesb22 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    The last 10k I did was in 1hr, 5mins. It's not a particularly good time but as my training consisted of going "oh crap, it's tomorrow, stop eating pizza" I was happy I finished without walking at all! My friend ran the same race abut 10 mins faster than me.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    This site was fairly accurate, i put in a recent 5k and it was near to all my pbs, i've used it to suss my marathon pace

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/site/calculator
  • girlontherun5
    girlontherun5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    This site was fairly accurate, i put in a recent 5k and it was near to all my pbs, i've used it to suss my marathon pace

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/site/calculator

Thanks for posting, that's a very cool site! And pretty accurate for me as far as what training times I'm running now, they are right on track for where I should be given my 10k pb.
  • scotrunner
    Options
    Hello, I did my last 10km race on the 2nd January and got a time of 52:32. It was a hilly course too but a PB for me. As a comparison I did a hilly 10km in April last year (4 months after getting back into running post kids) and my time for that race was 61mins. McMillan running is pretty accurate for me too.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I did a 10K run-the-race-route last weekend, and with chatting and stops and some walking to avoid ice patches came out at 65 mins. First timed one I've done! I knew I wanted to break an hour on the day but now thinking I want to get under 55 mins.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I've never run a 10k race but I ran 6 miles in 46:10 on Wed. (the fastest I've ever run that distance)

After my marathon, I will probably be hitting up some 10K's and Half's the rest of the year
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I've run a 10k in 57 minutes and I've seen average 10k times for races somewhere in the 50 min range. I'd say for your first race to just go out and do your best. Use it as a benchmark, especially since each race is different (course, how you feel that morning, etc.). Good luck!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Last timed (race) 10k was in November.
    1:00:14.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    58:00 in November
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My least favorite distance to race. Haven't race one in at least 4 or 5 years.

Just looked it up - my last one was Feb 2006, I ran a 42:36 (6:51 pace).
  • allenpearcy
    allenpearcy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    My only actual 10K was in September 2011 and I ran 1:05:21. My 10K split for my Half in November was 1:02:33.

My next 10K in a training run/seeding qualifer in March (for my May Half-marathon). My goal for the training race is 55:00. Today's 5-miler was at a 9:15 pace which would put me at 57:21 if I don't Improve.

Best of luck to you!
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My 10K PR is 45:17. I've done four 10Ks altogether. Just to give you a rough idea of where I've come from, my first 10K was 50:41.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    You can also look at this site and find local race results for your area and age group. Would give you an idea what a fast time verse average time verse slow time would be for your area and age group. Might help in setting a goal.

http://www.coolrunning.com/
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 10k last Saturday - it was going to be my first half marathon but a hip injury three weeks ago screwed up my last few weeks of training. I'm not quite recovered yet, so I decided to run the shorter distance and to take it pretty cautiously - I was aiming to finish under 70 minutes, so I was pretty happy to come in at 65 mins.

That put me towards the back of the field - for your reference the fastest time was 31 mins and the slowest was 1:49 so there is a huge variation in times (and a huge variation in the fitness level of entrants - a bunch of iron man contestants through to new runners like me).
    Have you looked at the website for your race to see if they have results online? I found it pretty handy to have an idea of the times from last year.

Really though, the key thing is not to stress about times - but to get out there and do the distance. With my huge racing experience (2 races!) I've found that I'm always faster on the day as the adrenalin kicks in and having other people to pace alongside keeps me moving. I actually had to make an effort to slow down in the first half as I was scared that my injury would play up.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    My last 10K race last Sept was 47:10 but yesterday I ran 44:?? during a long tempo run.

If you want to get an idea of what your 10K pace should be at your current fitness level then run a mile as fast as you can and plug that time in here: http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/site/calculator

The 10K race pace it gives you will be close to truth if you are running sufficient miles weekly to support a 10K race.
  • linnea213
    linnea213 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My first and only 10k was last November and I finished in 1:04. I was happy |I had only run 6 miles once before the race and my longest one time run was 7 miles! Trying to increase time and distance in 2012.
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    Under an hour, between 58-59 mins, but I don't remember offhand without checking my records.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    my last 10k race was 1hr 16 mins. i was stoked! i was also pretty close to the back of the pack, but i'm used to that now.
    ...... Plodders of the world unite!
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Update: did a 10K round my home village today with GPS etc and got round in 56:36. NB I did want a bathroom break from about mile 2, which may have given me wings :ohwell:
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Yesterday - not a race, but my own "tempo" training run for my half in 2 weeks, 54:23, I surprised myself.