New Here and about to give up ;(

Hey all....I am new here and my first time posting on this board. My name is Sara. I have been married 5 years to my husband Jeremy and we have 3 kids...Jacob is 5, Ashlynn is 3 and Jackson is 11 Months. When I first got pregnant with Jacob I was probably 120 lbs. and then I just went down hill from there cause every other year I was pregnant. I have decided that I HAVE to lose weight cause as of right now I am sitting at 240 lbs. I am not happy with myself and i just feel really sad that i let myself go like that. I have tried everything under the sun to try and get this weight off but nothing seems to work. I have tried WW, Diet pills, Low carb and nothing seems to work. I feel like giving up. It just seems like no matter what i do even cut my portions in half , the scale # just keep going up. We have an elliptical and a treadmill at our home but by time i get to 10 minutes or so I am out of breath and i hurt. I like to walk but with my husband and i working opposite shifts (He works in the morning and right when he gets home i go to work at night) there is no way i can with all my kids. I really don't even have friends that i can do anything with and all my sisters are in AZ. I am trying not to get down on myself but i seriously need some motivation and some ways to start losing this weight. It makes me cry everytime I look in the mirror. I just want to feel sexy again...I know that my hubby loves me but i want to put that spark back in our marriage and be like we used to be.

Replies

• MSmelser68
    MSmelser68 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi There. I know exactly how you feel. 3 kids, gained with EACH KID. I am now in my forties and have been fat FOREVER. My oldest kid is 20, youngest is 14. I was at about 260 with my final kid's birth, but DOING NOTHING AFTER THAT caused me to get to 310.

If all you can do is get on the elliptical or the treadmill for 5 minutes at a time. DO IT. And then try to get on it two times that day. Callesthetics are vital to working out too. If you are cleaning house, do power squats waiting for the washing machine to fill up. Do wall push ups at random times throughout the day. Calf raises brushing your teeth. Turn on the RADIO AND DANCE LIKE CRAZY!! Run around and jump up and down in the house with the kiddos.....LOL.

Sit vs. Lying down.
    Stand vs. Sitting down.
    Pacing vs. Standing still.
    Walking vs. Pacing.
    Running vs. Walking. ( ya, I haven't gotten to this part yet)

If you can get a hold of some hand weights, there are a lot of easy exercises you can do that are beneficial to your body. Stay positive....and you will be a healthy great role model for your children very soon. :) You want your muscles to continue to build and grow to burn those resting calories & boost that metabolism.

NEVER GIVE UP FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT.
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Don't give up on yourself. You can do it and you have the tools. Just believe in yourself. As Loopski68 said - you can do 5 mins today - two weeks from now you will look down and you have gone 10 mins. Somethign that I have to remind myself of - frequently - I didn't gain this weight in a week. It was over time - as was yours. It is going to take time to lose it. -- I have been on MFP since Jan 2 and have lost 8 pounds. I still have over a 100 to go but that is 8 that I don't have to lose.

Like a friend often tells me - How do you eat an elephant - One bite at a time. It does work to make me stop and think - I can do this.

Hang in there. Don't give up on yourself!!! And you need to do this for yourself.

good luck.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    I know how you feel.....times 100. I was always skinny until 30. A kid at 32 and one at 34 and an unhappy marriage to a hubbie whobecame an alcoholic. I became a fattie. I've been yo-yoing the same 15=20 pounds for over 20 years. I feel like an idiot that I now am 57 and still fricking fat. My knees are killing me. Don't make my mistake. Do it while you are young. I am diabetic...see what a fine mess I made of most of my years? I am taking control finally. I've been hitting the gym and dieting for 3 weeks now. Lost 11 pounds. It is sooooo much harder the older you get. I understand you cannot hit the gym. Just MOVE. If you can only do 5 minutes, then DO 5. Tomorrow, do 5 1/2. Add 30 seconds a day. Before long, you'll be unbelieveable! I thought I'd die 3 weeks ago when I got on the treadmill. It is amazing the progress I have made.

Food intake is critical. Change your settings to about 40% carbs, 35 protein, 25 fat. It really helps. Eat 1400-1600 calories and see if you lose. If not, cut back a little at a time. Make protein your first meal of the day. I eat a pure protein bar or scrambled eggs or protein shake. I eat LOTS of good veges (no starches). I eat very very little bread, pasta, or rice. I eat blueberries, strawberries, and apples for my fruits. I do eat the 5-7 servings per day of fruit/veges. I eat tons of chicken, turkey, and fish. I have had hell tryihg to lose weight as I have gotten older....but so far, this is working for me! Drink water. I don't like plain water so I drink it with lemon or mainly tons of green tea. I put in 4-5 green bags and one black tea for flavor and drink it alll day long. I add cinnamon and ginger to the tea. Both are very healthy for you. Cinnamon rebs the metabolism.

Move. The smallest step is the first. Don't worry that you huff and puff. In 3 weeks you will be AMAZED.

I'd love to be your buddy. I sound real encouraging right now....but I sure have my loooowwww moments, Like catching a glimpse of me in my swimsuit at the gym today. I really wanted to cry. I wanted to go home. I willed my feet to walk to the pool and get in. I swam 20 minutes.

Doing it at home presents sooo many distractions and excuses. Yell at yourself....NO EXCUSES. One step at a time. One minute of exercise at a time. One calorie at a time. \

Put on some music and dance with your babies! Stay focused and imagine yourself dancing at their weddings. Fit and HOT MAMA dancing.
  • amber95823
    amber95823 Posts: 20 Member
    I just turned 50 and like Scubanana said the older you get the harder it is. I just joined MFP so I haven't even had my second weigh in yet but I do know that everyday that we make better food and movement choices will bring you closer to your goal so don't give up and remember it's not about being perfect. When a bad choice is made let it go and the next time a choice comes up try for the good one. :) I have years of yo-yo dieting under my belt and my past has shown me that I have always used a bad choice as a reason to quit. I think one of the worst things I have done to myself is programing my brain to think "What's the use I will always be fat". But no MORE!!! I don't want to end up with diabetes, heart disease, breast cancer ect. (all of which run in my family) Sholso you can do it!!! One moment at a time is all it takes!
  • Thanks ladies! I really just need a buddy that will help me to get through all this. I don't really have any friends here where I live so it is really hard to have the motivation to lose the weight. My biggest thing is FOOD! I really need some good recipes that i can make and that are good for you. I love to cook and bake and that is my fall out i think. But hopefully we can all be friends and help get through this together.
  • Sholso, don't ever give up! I am 44 and agree with the other posters about it being so much harder the older you get. What worked for me at 30 definitely isn't working for me at 44. I have gained over 100 pounds the past 9 years. I got lazy and just quit exercising and didn't really watch what was going over my lips and onto my hips. I have been so discouraged for the last six months and barely put forth any effort - well duh, that ain't gonna work! That only lead me towards depression and more weight gain. The hardest part for me was getting started, but I kept reading the posts on here and couldn't help but get motivated. I just started last week. The first thing I did was start logging my food and toggled my settings to see the amount of sugar I was eating. Unbelievable!! I am a pop-a-holic and have had to wean myself off. I went out over the weekend and bought myself a couple of dumbbells and started using them immediately. I dusted off the stationary bike tonight and hopped on - it was only for 10 minutes and yes my heart was racing, but it's a start. The only thing that really matters is that you move somehow. Good luck and don't give up!!