Contemplating Giving Up Being Raw

babynew
babynew Posts: 613 Member
Reasons -I am just soooCold, especially my fingers
Some /most sprouted grains just do not sit well.
Mfp's coming down hard for me to up the cals.
Can't find enough cals w/o causing tummy distress
And or are too high in the fat area,and it would not
Be Healthy to eat nuts& seeds all day just to up cals right?
Ginger teas & warming spices don't cut it.I am Cold.
Easier when it was warmer.I do love the lifestyle.
Do you leave your logs open to friends? I don't have any raw
Friends.Fairly new to all this.
Any Ideas or suggestions?....Help Wanted.

Replies

• I try to do about 50-60% raw. I too get real intestinal distress from too much raw veggie eating. I think even if you cut back on raw you can still be very healthy. I do not eat meat or fish but I do eat eggs for protein which of course are cooked. I think eating raw is much easier in the warm weather. In the winter I need something to warm my bones sometimes so I go ahead and eat veggie soup made with vegetable broth not chicken stock. Hang in there. Your body is trying to tell you something so listen to it . :)
  • babynew
    My thoughts exactly! I have a high speed blender that I ve. Been making *soups in,but,its just not cutting it lately.Can't wait to
    Make a good v.soup,or a lil spicy v.chili.have not yet though.Any Other Raw OR PEOPLE LIKE ME TO FRIEND SHARE. WITH out there,
    PLEASE ADD ME,for help support to each. Other.Thank You,Any other input is gratefully appreciated!
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    You should check out this book that just came out - called Raw And Beyond I think, 3 top raw food gurus (including Boutenko) wrote it together to talk about a more balanced approach to raw eating. I also get really cold and find that I am not satisfied without something warm at night. Maybe it will be different in the summer, but for now I'm just trying to eat as raw as possible.
  • kimberloni
    kimberloni Posts: 2 Member
    I find that a lot of top guru's eat cooked grains in the winter. Quinoa, millet, amarath. Might be good. Or soak some oat groats at night and then warm them up gently in the morning for raw oatmeal.

I find what is helpful for me when i was 100% raw was to eat dates with some almonds. In ancient times and even today a date paste is very medicial for tummy issues and stomach cancer. They have lots of medicinal nutrients and are a nice treat as well for keeping the calories in range. Take the pit out of a mejool and put in an almond in several dates and voila... a nice little dessert and good for you.

But during the winter its very hard. Eatting foods with a little more fat will help with the coldness. Spicy foods too, salsa with flax crackers (lots of jalepenos) soups with some chili oil or chili flakes.

I hope this gives you some ideas. :)
  • tleah60
    tleah60 Posts: 3 Member
    I am about 2 months into raw, and have found 80 10 10 to be the best. My body had been gravitating this way. Eat a lot of fruit, throw in a green drink. That should warm you up. It sounds like thyroid issues. I had them, I don't anylonger nor do I need to takes medication for it anymore. Hope this helps as one newbie to another. :) You will want to eat 2500 calories per day!
  • VeganDawn
    VeganDawn Posts: 21 Member
    the 80 10 10 diet seems to be what I'm hearing a lot about lately.. can you tell me how you have been find it?
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Jesse_Hunter Posts: 162 Member
    I am a low fat raw vegan (80/10/10) and I have never experienced being increasingly cold. Although, I have heard about it before in the high fat raw food world quite a bit.

"The 80/10/10 diet" is a book written by Dr. Douglas N. Graham, and it changed my life. You can purchase it on Amazon for sure.

Like others have said you need to up the fruits, Raw food is low calorie food by nature. To get the intake your body needs you have to eat a lot. Vegetables and sprouts alone just won't cut it. However, too many nuts and seeds is going to make your fat intake very high, which you don't want.

80/10/10 means 80% carbs 10% fat 10% protein (by % meaning percentage of calories).
  • Rawvine
    Rawvine Posts: 27 Member
    I'm reading the 80 10 10 book now! Awesome read with great information in it!
  • danikanoodles
    danikanoodles Posts: 150 Member
    Deffinitly add 80/10/10 to your reading list.

Are you able to make your food diary open? It's so much easier to help each other out and answer questions specially regarding digestive tummy issues if we can see what you have been eating.

I've actually found eating raw to keep me warmer in the winter. Personally I eat 80/10/10 with lots of calories from fruits. My digestive system isn't using all the energy to work on hard to digest foods and can use it to keep my blood moving keeping me feeling toasty. In the meantime maybe add an extra layer and stay away from things you have to refrigerate more.

Sprouted grains are really not a good thing to eat. Once in a while I have alfalfa sprouts and found those to be much more gentle. Grains contain insoluble fiber which is rough on the digestive system.

It took me a while to be able to work up to eating enough calories. For a lot of people that is normal. Bananas and dates are good ways to get in more calories along with mangos. Those are my 3 favorites. Nuts and seeds are not such a good way of getting in calories. They won't make you feel optimum in the long run.

If you can show you food diary that would help tons.

Please don't give up! It's such an amazing health journey. There is lots to be learned but it's sooo worth it.
  • babynew
    Okay, this Original Thread started over a Year ago. Alot was learned About its Original post, and maybe by my Telling you what I've learned, gained, and discerned since then May help someone on this path.
    Firstly, was Diagnosed Vit. D.deficcient. ..thus the cold hands that turned numb. .to hardly functioning.
    PLEASE don't let this happen to you. Get Regular blood work.
    Next I also learned There was a Thyroid problem, that still is being worked out.
    Being Raw I think made my body and myself recognise that it developed intolerances with new introductions.
    There are Wheat, soy, and Sulfite Issues.
    That are both raw and Added to Raw food. ..so beware. ( besides the wheat)

My food isn't open any longer because I still have sleep issues, and I just became tired of being scolded and repeately Explaining.Even with a key. .. it was okay for a while. .then started again.
    I'm on a path to Health and Vitality, like many of you.
    Keep on doing what works in a Healthy Observing Balanced way .Much luck and joy on your JOURNEY.
    :flowerforyou:
  • danikanoodles
    danikanoodles Posts: 150 Member
    oops I didn't even see how old the thread was :)

Glad you found out what was causing you problems. I agree with getting regular blood work it's really important until you have things down pat and even then at least once a year blood work is important.

I also have soy and wheat allergies. Raw has made it so much easier to avoid contamination. I'm not sure of any raw foods that have them added to it unless they are packaged raw. What ones have you found? I want to be able to avoid those.

Many good wishes on your journey! :)
  • Rawvine
    Rawvine Posts: 27 Member
    Guess that I should have noticed the date as well! Opps!
  • babynew
    @danika, I was referring to Sulfites, which are Sprayed on Fruits etc, and Naturally occuring in fruits, veg, even ,tomatoes.I'm still learning. No more Lemon Zest & be careful ordering lemon water,its also used as an anti clumping agent in powdered garlic,onion, herbs. Mostly I grow my own, but who knew. There is Absolutely the Power of Raw, and I hope to be fully back very soon. Right now, I'm still comforting with fresh soups, bean & butternut chilis and some roasted vegs and curries here and there till the weather warms again. Best of luck and good Eating Everyone *!*
    :flowerforyou: