Reading Material - raw

Options
Hi All -

I'm currently reading "12 Steps to Raw Foods" by Victoria Boutenko -- anyone read it?

I'm by no stretch raw or vegan yet, but I've really cleaned up my diet recently, and I'm investigating the possibilities for going raw. I know I will have a rough transition and familial resistance. Problem: I cook too well, which is part of my/our problem. The foods we have eaten regularly are just too good, leading to over eating and weight gain over the years.

What other books/reading material do you raw foodist recommend? What recipe books should I be looking at to make the transition easier?

Replies

• bambiphae
    Options
    I got so freaked out over raw foods because it seemed really stressful...then I read 80/10/10 by Dr. Doug Graham (foodnsport.com). He is AMAZING! There are all sorts of SIMPLE, delicious recipes in the book plus a lot of great information! The transition from the excessive excitotoxins that you probably used to season your food to make it taste so good (like salt and spices) will probably be the most difficult for you to wean yourself off them.

I would love to shower you with all sorts of information about 80/10/10. Buy the book, read it, head over to 30bananasaday.com and get an account. It's a great social network for anyone who wants to follow a raw food diet. I would also STRONGLY recommend Raw Food Controversies by Frederic Patenaude, I find him SO inspiring and he has a great attitude! He also has some amazing savory recipes for sale on his site.

BUY 80/10/10 though. It's a must have. It's like the raw foodist bible.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Hey Weaver,
    I'm like you, not vegan or raw....yet. but definitely conducting some investigation. I am currently reading "Eating in the Raw " by Carol Alt. So far I feel like it's going to get me real excited about eating raw. Basically it's just her story of how she used to eat, what she eats now, and how it has changed things for her. She also has some really yummy looking recipes in it!

Please update us on what books you get and what conclusion you come to. I like hearing about people's journey.

~Emily
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I like Alissa Cohens books and DVD's. Ani Phyo has some really great books for recipes.
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    This book just came out and I'm really excited about it - Raw and Beyond: How Omega-3 Nutrition Is Transforming the Raw Food Paradigm.

Boutenko is one of the authors. I also recommend her "green smoothie revolution" book, and also Alyssa Cohen's stuff.
  • weaverfit
    Options
    Thanks for the book recommendation(s). I'm looking for them now. :flowerforyou:
  • ZoeArnesen
    ZoeArnesen Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Agreed, 80/10/10 is amazing!! You can also join 30bananasaday.com for 80/10/10 support :)
  • robinson
    robinson Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    "The Raw food detox diet" by Natalia Rose is a great book for transitioning to raw. I also love" Live Raw" by Mimi Kirk. Her website and youtube video is on my blog 100daysintheraw.com. Both books have great recipes too. If you want a day by day meal plan the Garden diet (google it) emails one to you everyday if you join. The good thing about the Garden Diet is you use common food from the grocery store so it is economical too.
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Victoria Boutenko's children have co-written an excellent 'cook' book which starts with an excellent intro to raw eating and then gives lots of easy recipes complete with great photos of the food. Its called "Fresh".

You might also check out the cookbook "I Am Grateful", another one full of lovely raw recipes as well as inspirational quotes and questions.
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    save :)
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I just cannot stick to a raw food diet. I am too busy and leave on the weekends too often. Maybe it's a cop-out but I can't do all the soaking and preparing and what not. I try to eat mostly raw but I do cook a lot. I have read, and found useful, Eat to Live by Joel Furhman. I also have a great cookbook called Cooking The Whole Foods Way by Christina Pirello. I have also found some good vegan Indian cookbooks. Also look for other ethnic (Chineese, Japaneese) vegan/vegetarain cookbooks for "clean" eating and inspiration. There are many diet options out there and the most important thing is finding what works for you! Good luck!
  • shmiracles
    shmiracles Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    save
    yay
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I got so freaked out over raw foods because it seemed really stressful...then I read 80/10/10 by Dr. Doug Graham (foodnsport.com). He is AMAZING! There are all sorts of SIMPLE, delicious recipes in the book plus a lot of great information! The transition from the excessive excitotoxins that you probably used to season your food to make it taste so good (like salt and spices) will probably be the most difficult for you to wean yourself off them.

I would love to shower you with all sorts of information about 80/10/10. Buy the book, read it, head over to 30bananasaday.com and get an account. It's a great social network for anyone who wants to follow a raw food diet. I would also STRONGLY recommend Raw Food Controversies by Frederic Patenaude, I find him SO inspiring and he has a great attitude! He also has some amazing savory recipes for sale on his site.

I was eating about a 99% raw food diet until I read "Raw Food Controversies by Frederic Patenaude". That book really scared me and I started introducing more cooked whole foods back in and now I'm back on Raw, but it is scary to read about all the problems that some Raw Foodists have, and all while trying to be healthy.
  • Steverino1955
    Options
    David Wolfe and Dr. Gabriel Cousens are 2 of my favorite raw authors. Dr. Cousens addresses the medical issues you can sometimes confront eating all raw. However, the issues you may face eating all raw are miniscule compared to the increased risks you face eating a typical SAD diet filled with chemicals and toxins.
  • danikanoodles
    danikanoodles Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    80/10/10 is #1 on my list. There is also a great book out called Left In The Dark by Graham Gynn & Tony Wright. Tony has some video talks on youtube worth checking out. It's a very easy read and really insightful. It has parts where it talks about how humans are naturally frugivores. I also enjoy Herbert Sheltons books on Natural Hygiene.
  • momofkali
    Options
    I love the raw food recipe books by Ani Phyo. Lots of great information.

She also stresses that it is not imperative to go 100% raw but by increasing your raw food you will do yourself a world of good.

I am doing her 15 Day Fat Blast right now. I find it easy and I have no cravings.