How/when did you gain your extra weight? How will you preve

Options
SlinkyNewMe
SlinkyNewMe Posts: 213 Member
How did I put on weight? Well certainly my weight has been going up in the past 12 years and this would be as a result of:-
1. Getting a coffee and a cake on the way to work
2. Eating coffee and biscuits (cookies) whilst at work - or chocolate, or more cake.
3. Eating when stressed, ie, at work or because of work mainly.
4. Snatching a quick meals on the go without thinking, especially since my son started school.
5. Doing very little exercise.
6. Drinking too much wine with my husband in the evenings - say two or three time a week we would have a couple of glasses of wine - whilst moaning about work!
7. Buying bigger clothes instead of taking control of my weight gain.
8. Did I mention ... cake :tongue:

Thankfully I am trying to do things a bit differently now and I won't go back into those bad habits again.

:noway: I know for a fact now that if I EVER go over 140lbs max - that's 7lbs over my goal weight I will need to "run a check" as they say.
:smile: I now see food as nourishment - not stress relief!
:wink: Wine, cakes, etc are nice occasional treats.
:laugh: Exercise is fun! (and good stress relief too).
:happy: I left my job! Life is too short to be that unhappy!

So do you remember how your weight started creeping up? And what will you do differently now and when you reach goal?

Replies

• NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Great Post!! I have been overweight almost my whole life and have NEVER been thin. I had gastric bypass 10 years ago and I never got down to my goal weight because I wanted to have babies more!! So, 3 kids later, I want to finish losing all the weight the proper way (I never got even near my top weight). I always felt like a bottomless pit and never had shut off valve to hunger and I really hate being hungry. At least with the bypass I have that now. So, I did a year ago what I should have done 10 years ago. I completely gave up my weakness, gluten (bread, pasta, cookies, anything with gluten in it and that includes soy sauce and most sauces). What that did was make me no longer gain weight which is fantastic and I have been losing slowly ever since. I have given up gluten for life and like you plan to get well into normal weight so that I can play around with a few pounds and will never be overweight again once I am there. If that means I have to count calories for the rest of my life so be it. But I have to say I have taught myself to really love and crave veggies because of how they make my body feel. I no longer crave the jumk that I will not allow my body to have. That is how I know this time will be my last time losing this amount of weight and I will get down to normal weight for the first time since I was 10 years old. This is a fantastic website.
  • SlinkyNewMe
    Options
    Great Post!! I have been overweight almost my whole life and have NEVER been thin. I had gastric bypass 10 years ago and I never got down to my goal weight because I wanted to have babies more!! So, 3 kids later, I want to finish losing all the weight the proper way (I never got even near my top weight). I always felt like a bottomless pit and never had shut off valve to hunger and I really hate being hungry. At least with the bypass I have that now. So, I did a year ago what I should have done 10 years ago. I completely gave up my weakness, gluten (bread, pasta, cookies, anything with gluten in it and that includes soy sauce and most sauces). What that did was make me no longer gain weight which is fantastic and I have been losing slowly ever since. I have given up gluten for life and like you plan to get well into normal weight so that I can play around with a few pounds and will never be overweight again once I am there. If that means I have to count calories for the rest of my life so be it. But I have to say I have taught myself to really love and crave veggies because of how they make my body feel. I no longer crave the jumk that I will not allow my body to have. That is how I know this time will be my last time losing this amount of weight and I will get down to normal weight for the first time since I was 10 years old. This is a fantastic website.

Great post wbw! You sound very determined and I really admire that, especially giving up a lot of the things you used to love. Keep it up and you will reach your goal - because you can!
  • TwinMumCork
    TwinMumCork Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have always been loosing the same 20 lbs for as long as I remember, for my wedding, in an effort to get pregnant , the weight I put on after having the boys (not while but all the eating I did because of lack of sleep afterwards).

This time I put it on by going back to work and eating lunch out every day, snacking on sweets that were available in the kitchen and totally not watching my weight. When I noticed by clothes were too tight I just stopped wearing them and wore the bigger clothes which I had from before my last weight loss.

This time

1. throwing out /giving away the bigger clothes
    2. going to keep eating the way I am now , lunch at work healthy snacks
    3. try to get the whole family to switch to my way of eating rather than me switching back to theirs (i.e. hubby really)
    4. Less starchy carbs and no eating in the evening (i.e. no tea and biscuits after the boys go to bed)
    5. limit the muffins and cakes

Hopefully we can all do it and never have to do this again.
  • SlinkyNewMe
    Options
    There is nothing more satisfying than a muffin and a big fat cup of coffee though! I am electing to have that as my once a month treat IF and only IF I have stuck to plan all the other days! Ditto for wine!
  • lu136mickey
    Options
    I started gaining weight about 8 years ago hurt my back at work so when I would get home did not want to do anything else each evening but was stil eating the same amount of food no exercise bad food choices etc. The day after my 42 birthday Jan.11 2012 I decided to take back control over my weight and health, so here I am and I vow never ever get this big again!!!! If I see the weight start creeping back on I will add more exercise to my life, I think I will continue to weigh myself once a week so it never happens and log my food on here to maintain once I get to 135
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot to mention I am a couch potato. Hehe but that has changed due to my 10,000 steps a day that I have been taking. I like wearing a hrm so I can see how many calories I am burning. That makes it really worth the exercising for me. I think I will continue this through the Winter and get up on my new bike in the Spring and Summer. You will do it too. Being aware of your weaknesses and bad habits is sucha huge step. If you can't do moderation, cut them out till you can. I will never go back to eating the way I used to. Limiting my diet has made it difficult for everyone involved but I have adjusted and so have my friends and they know what I can and cannot eat. I don't eat land animals either, only fish and eggs.
  • saffronblue
    saffronblue Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Agreed! This is a great post.
    I mostly started gaining when I got laid off from my job of 12 years. I was a waitress and walked a LOT and when I didn't have work, I didn't walk anymore. I now have a different job, which is pretty sedate! I work in a wine tasting room, behind a bar. Most of my weight came with wine and cheese!
    I have totally made changes and now go to the gym first thing in the morning. I am working on portion control, and cutting back on the wine too.
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    My weight problem started nearly 15 years ago when the doctor said "your pregnant"! My brain immediately said, "where's the food". After gaining 103 pounds in 9 months (no I'm not kidding), I proceeded to loose and gain and loose and gain and.... well you get the picture. My daughter will be 14 in a month. Using the "I haven't lost all the baby weight" is just sad at this point. Since she was born I put her and my then husband first, as most of us do.

Over the past year I've been having a lot of problems with my daughter. It has really taken a lot out of me mentally. Right before year end I decided no more putting everybody and everything before me. I joined a gym on January 2nd. This time is different because I'm putting me 1st, I'm taking working out seriously and I am just plain tired of the plus sized stores. I have 65 pounds to loose (14 down so far). Have given myself a year to do it.... and I know I will =)
  • saffronblue
    saffronblue Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You go girl!

Over the past year I've been having a lot of problems with my daughter. It has really taken a lot out of me mentally. Right before year end I decided no more putting everybody and everything before me. I joined a gym on January 2nd. This time is different because I'm putting me 1st, I'm taking working out seriously and I am just plain tired of the plus sized stores. I have 65 pounds to loose (14 down so far). Have given myself a year to do it.... and I know I will =)
    [/quote]
  • karinapeterson
    karinapeterson Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Here is some of my story.

I have always been large. When I was little my mum used to say you would look just like Elizabeth Taylor if you were smaller! Dont think that helped me. My mother was small and my sister too. I have never been smalller that 72kg since 15! I was actually about 72kg when I got married but I was running 10k every second day and eating a 1000cals but that is hard to maintain and I went to 82kg and settled there until I got pregnant with my daughter. I piled on the weight and when I had her I was 103kg, I never lost baby weight. It was a complicated birth with the cord wrapped around her throat so resus was needed and later she was rushed to neo natal unit not breathing where they diagnosed a congenital heart condition and we spent her first three weeks in Greenlane Hospital then finally got to go home with her attatched to oxygen and an apnea mat for sleeping. The 3 months til her first surgery I kept on eating and could not get out as she needed to be isolated from germs so I went up to 110kg. Depression set in naturally as it was such a hard time and I went on pills for it which did not help weight. After her first surgery it was okay but my husband and I needed time to fix our relationship and figure out what our life was about now. Eveything had changed for us. She had another surgery at 2 and a half and I stayed that big until she was about 3 and a half and she was able to go to kindy like other kids. I managed to lose 12kgs and hover there. When she was 4 and a half we decided she needed a sibling so that the focus on her being a "special needs" child was not too much and didnt make her a selfish person and I got pregnant with my son. Well, with him we had a lot of scans, he had large kidneys and they said the chance of him being Downs syndrome was very high and would we like to abort. We said no. We had worked through our relationship and had already decided before getting pregnant that no matter what we would look after another baby with special needs if necessary. I am so glad we did not do what the doctors recommended as our son is perfectly healthy and an extremely intelligent boy. I ballooned to 122kg when I gave birth by cesar to him, he was a big boy and breech hehe. I dropped to 118kg afterward and then down to 112kg and sat there for a year or two. I then joined sureslim fed up and depressed and after 7 months got down to 84kgs. I was so happy but then I stopped losing and the person at sureslim reading my diary told me I must be doing something wrong! I gave up and slowly it came back til now with me starting at 110kg. I have done some form of exercise for the last 11years more as a way to combat depression than anything else But always the food, the convenience of junk, the sastifaction of quelling the bad stuff in my life. Now my journey has led me here hopefully to a healthy and permanent way of life.

Felt kinda nice to write this and makes me realise I shouldnt feel so bad. Things happen that we cant control and sometimes we just deal with it the way we can. Fixing it is what counts.
  • SlinkyNewMe
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that - and you are right "fixing it is what counts". And putting ourselves first for a change, or at least very very high on the list. We exist and we matter - we are not just disembodied hands that hold our partners/children, clean up after everyone, make the food, drive the car to their various activities. Sure we have those responsibilities, especially when those we care about are sick, or are going through their own challenges - however we also have a responsibility to look after ourselves.
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Unlike most people with a weight problem, I wasn't always big. I was a very skinny child, like painfully skinny. I wouldn't eat, I was (and still am) a very fussy eater. It wasn't known then but later in life I found out I'm dyspraxic, have SPD (sensory processing disorder) and maybe aspergers or something on the high functioning autistic spectrum.
    I'm extremely sensitive to textures and a lot of food literally makes me heave if I try and eat it.... so, it was a case of eating crap is better than not eating at all. Bless my mum, she really tried to feed me decent stuff but I'd pick and pick and throw tantrums if I felt like I was being forced to eat.
    I started to gain weight in my teens when had more control over my food. I'd get my lunch money and eat whatever I felt like, and what I felt like was chips, pizzas, sweets sweets and more sweets.
    I also got diagnosed with PCOS in my 30s which doesn't help with weight loss either.

Now I'm a lot more open to eating things that I previously couldn't touch. I'm still very faddy which shows in my diaries. I'll eat a lot of the same thing for weeks on end then go completely off it and can't bear to even look at it. BUT, I'm managing to eat relatively healthy and stick to my calories most days. One benefit of being 'on the spectrum' is that logging and calculating isn't a chore, it's just one more thing to organise and I do love to organise and list things :laugh:

Now I've lost most of my weight there's no way I'm going to put it back on! I will continue to weigh in each week and once down to goal I'll have a 'top weight' to keep a eye on. If I go near it it's time to cut back.

I spent my 20s overweight, my 30s downright fat, I intend to spend my 40s fabulous :smile:
  • therighttrack
    therighttrack Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I too, was skinny as a kid and even in my 20`s. UNTIL I had kids!!!! I had my first at 30yrs, so I was already fighting the age/metabolism thing, then my second child a year and half later...this time I kept some of the baby fat (not all, but there was a difference for sure). All during this time, I was working full time as a stockroom manager so I was always exercising at work and would also walk to and from work some times etc... but at 35yrs, I went into depression...I didn't realize what was wrong just accepted the way I felt and brushed it off as being run down. As a result, no energy for extra exercise, fast foods, = bad habits here we come!
    A year later I had my third child. This made my depression worse, as there were complications with the pregnancy, also he was HUGE so that just wore me out right there. I didn't loose the weight this time at all. Things were not all that great with my marriage after the baby was born, I was working straight midnights after I returned back to work. Which meant bad sleep, bad eating habits, and no energy to do anything about it. This eventually is what did me in.
    At this point, I realized that I was in a DEEP Depression. The Doc. gave me pills - but I refused to take them. (I am not the type of person to throw things in my body that do not belong there.) I decided that I have always been a strong-willed person so I was going to beat this Depression thing on my own.
    A year later, I had to quit the job because my body had gone into complete shut down. I was doing my shifts on pure adrenaline, was on a caffeine/sugar diet all day long (approx 20 cups of Dbl Dbl per day!) Gained more weight from that...obviously! I couldn't drive further than my drive way to the end of the street without my eyes closing shut. I thank god for the angel watching over me every time I had to drive somewhere. Many times, I was literately sleeping on the way home from work. I once awoke on the other side of the road with a transport truck heading my way (sounds like a cliche, I know but 100% true). Once I would get home, I couldn't stand longer than about 2 minutes in the same spot before I would collapse to the floor - literally (ie. it would take about 4 attempts to just EMPTY the dishwasher). I realized that if I don't die from a car accident, then I am going to die from total shut down...so I quit.
    My life was falling apart, 2 people in my immediate family (1 in my home) had cancer. One survived the other not so lucky. I was taking care of him through most of it, but I couldn't handle things when he died. Yup, there goes the depression and weight gain again - and this time my mind!

Well that took 5 very very long horrible years to get through, along with a 48lb weight gain! I am still alive though!!! LOL
    Since then I have been up and down on the scale. I`d work hard, and watch the foods and loose some weight, then give up and gain weight again...over and over.
    Since the fall of 2010, I have been doing a lot better, (of course with some ups and downs still) I have gradually lost about 30lbs.

I love that this site helps me to stay focused by logging in my food for each day. Not only does it allow me to see how much I am eating, but the results of WHAT I am eating are right there in my face - every day! (be it good, or bad - we must learn from our mistakes!)
    I also love reading about other people and the problems they are facing and relate them to me. Its nice to hear that you are not alone in your battle.

What I am trying to accomplish:

-count the calories each day
    -exercise each day
    -try to keep to my allowable calories
    -try not to over indulge on the good stuff - only as a treat!
    -cut down on the drinking (not that I had a problem with it! - but it really packs it on!)
    -hit my goal weight by mid June...40 and fabulous this summer!!!!
    -change my bad habits - for life.
    -Enjoy my second chance on life with my family!
  • HealthyChicana
    HealthyChicana Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Grew up not caring about my weight because my older sister was so obsessed by it. I was considered a bit husky in my late elementary years up until middle school. I became a thin yet curvy girl. Managed to have 3 babies and lose all the baby weight. Kept the weight off during my divorce because I chain smoked. After remarrying and having my fourth and last baby, things changed dramatically. I gained SO much weight during the pregnancy because I was spoiled and ate more rocky road ice cream than the company could make. After my daughter was born, I lost the weight again until I my bipolar side crashed into postpartum depression. I was put on medication and I blew up almost instantly. SInce the meds kept me stable, I stayed on them but my health went bad. I kept smoking, eating and not exercising because I was just not liking the weight. So from being a person who weighed 105-110 and wore a size 0-4, I had now become a 260 lb woman wearing size 22. UGH!!!! Five years ago I got on NutriSystem and lowered my weight to 195. Four years ago, I quit smoking. Three years ago, I started exercising sporadically.

Now my doctor says that the weight is taking forever because of my yeast problem. But I am working at following the meal plan and learning to cook delicious, satisfying, healthy meals within my meal plan. I maintained my weight from ever going over 200 again but I am 5' 2' and 195 still doesn't help my BMI. Looking forward to doing this!!!
  • lovemydrmartens
    lovemydrmartens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    two words..

Menopause

white wine

the first I can do nothing about but get on with not letting it bring me down... the second I have cut down on drastically and feel better for it .... :smile:
  • SlinkyNewMe
    Options
    Isn't it interesting that our weight gain has been largely due to our reaction to external stressors?
  • mkrbksd
    mkrbksd Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Isn't it interesting that our weight gain has been largely due to our reaction to external stressors?

Isn't that the truth? I was doing great working out and feeling so good about 3 years ago, when a family member had a major illness/surgery and needed significant support. I work full - time, my husband works MORE than full - time and we have 2 kids at home...so I went on the back burner!

When things were going well - I ate. When things weren't going well - I ate.

I am working to put myself first again - I do believe it helps the whole family. I've actually taken a job with reduced responsibilities at work in order to try to gain time for myself - it was that or not sleep! My husband/family has been supportive - so I intend to maximize this opportunity.

I'm so tired of being overweight and up and down on the scale, I just want to get to a place where I feel good and have energy and maintain from there for the rest of my life.
  • vickleawill
    vickleawill Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hello everyone! i am definitely a stress eater! this last year has been probably one of the hardest in my life! but its time to move forward and get healthy again. i am excited about having this blog! this is my last year being in my 40's and i want it to go out with a bang! :tongue:
  • Yinkin
    Yinkin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Definitely a stress eater here.

I lost 4 stone with WW a lifetime ago and was doing really well. Then when my sister and brother cancelled a planned visit for a week, instead of being sensible and cancelling the week off, I got really upset and sat and ate every day. After that I couldn't control my eating and ballooned up 8 stone. After gaining another stone and going over the 20st mark I realised I had to do something.

I've tried a couple of fad diets but they all have the same problem, I stop doing it and the weight comes back because I haven't learnt to eat properly.

Tried WW online but didn't have the support I needed and the cost was prohibitive as on a tight budget. None of the meetings were at a suitable time and place for me to get to easily.

Then I re-discovered myfitnesspal. I'd found it a few years ago but given up on the tracking fairly quickly and was too shy to post or make friend requests. This time I'm doing it differently. I'm posting when I can and I've made a few friends who really help me to keep it together.

I still have bad times. I've discovered that when my husband goes out in the evening it triggers me wanting to pig out on what ever snack food I have in the house. When he stays in I don't eat extra as I don't want to let him down. He tries so hard to help me stick to what I need to but we really don't eat the same foods so we cook seperately most of the time. He keeps trying to find non food related treats for me for when I do well. It's really sweet!!!

I want to exercise more but my knees are starting to hurt quite a lot and my backpain from years ago is coming back so I'm scared I might hurt myself and not be able to do anything. Walking is what I do most.

The one thing I can't do is tell my little sister that this all started going wrong when she cancelled her visit to me. She had a good reason as she was going in for surgery and that's not the sort of appointment you can change but she'd be devastated if she realised the effect it had. She's never visited after that as I do all the travelling since I'm the only one without children and I don't really have space for visitors.

Feels good to write all this down but I'm going to stop now. Need to do some thinking as some of this I hadn't actually realised before.

This board is Great!!!
  • SlinkyNewMe
    Options
    hello everyone! i am definitely a stress eater! this last year has been probably one of the hardest in my life! but its time to move forward and get healthy again. i am excited about having this blog! this is my last year being in my 40's and i want it to go out with a bang! :tongue:

You can do it!