My PR after:
    BS: 245#
    SP: 140#
    DL: 325#
    BP: 165#
    PC: 180#

PC your bodyweight?
    that's badass!!!
  • Thanks! Wasn't the prettiest PC ever but I got it :) Now to be able to JERK it! That's the next goal!
  • I have been lifting for roughly 3 years now and am always looking for new ways to shock my muscles so I started this program about 5 weeks ago and I love it. I have made some great gains and am making great progress still. I will go back to isolation exercises at the end of the 12 weeks but will be coming back to the advanced part of it. I recommend this highly to anyone.
  • Vodkha
    Vodkha Posts: 352 Member
    I have a question regarding the 5X5 calculator that was posted by someone. (http://www.vicjg.com/aspx/madcowint.aspx )

I am confused as to why it won't let you enter reps higher than 12? Aren't we doing 5 sets of 5 reps? Am I just supposed to enter 5 there? OR does the calculator already know you are doing 5 sets?

And the numbers that pop up under Wk1, Wk2, etc...are those the pounds we are supposed to be using and increasing as we go?
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 682 Member
    I have a question regarding the 5X5 calculator that was posted by someone. (http://www.vicjg.com/aspx/madcowint.aspx )

I am confused as to why it won't let you enter reps higher than 12? Aren't we doing 5 sets of 5 reps? Am I just supposed to enter 5 there? OR does the calculator already know you are doing 5 sets?

And the numbers that pop up under Wk1, Wk2, etc...are those the pounds we are supposed to be using and increasing as we go?

you enter your test weight before you start the program. you need to know your max weight for a certain amount of reps. so if you max out at 10 reps for 100 lbs on the bench press your 1 rep max would be 133 lbs and your 5 rep max would be 119 lbs.

the numbers that pop up under the Wk1, etc are the weights you lift.

hope that makes sense.
  • Vodkha
    Vodkha Posts: 352 Member
    Ok, so basically you do as many reps as you can at the heaviest weight you can to see where to start at and go from there? Thank you, I was a bit confused! :)
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 682 Member
    Ok, so basically you do as many reps as you can at the heaviest weight you can to see where to start at and go from there? Thank you, I was a bit confused! :)

yes, but make sure the reps aren't more than 12. i think if you get higher than 12 it throws off the formula for figuring out your 1 rep max. maybe try a weight that you can do for 6-8 reps. that way it's heavy, but not too heavy that it's not safe to test on your own. of course using a spotter for something like this is always the best way to go.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    If you're going by the program and are a new lifter, it should be 5lbs increase per exercise, per workout. See page 46 in the 5x5 report from StrongLifts.com, it breaks it down exactly how the weight should look for weeks 1 & 2. Barbell rows and Deadlifts do not start out with the bar only, per the program.

On a separate note, I have been reading the program diligently and am starting the program on Monday! Just signed up to a gym last night and have been practicing my form at home, so that I have a good idea of the movements before I get in there.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    I see your post was several days back....hope you've been getting some results!
  • Travelfixer
    Travelfixer Posts: 137 Member
    Just starting out, great information, thanks!
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Just throwing this out there for any ladies doing this program.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women