Maybe it's IBS...maybe not

Options
teachfl2
teachfl2 Posts: 95 Member
Curious to see if anyone on here was told that they have IBS, only to find out that there is a deeper cause to their problems. For me, I was convinced it was IBS because no test or blood work could tell me otherwise. I had an ultrasound, colonoscopy, endoscopy, and countless blood tests for celiacs and food allergies. The only thing that came out of all these tests were food allergies (pork and cumin are severe for me). Seems I also have a long list of moderate and mild intolerances.

Recently, though, I decided to take my problems to my gynecologist, who referred me for a pelvic ultrasound. Ends up I had two cysts on my right ovary, which have since doubled in size. I also have two on my left ovary. Her solution was to go back on the pill. She told me, though, that my cysts could be what's causing my bloating, or it could be in conjunction with my IBS.

So...IBS is a huge umbrella for what could possibly be wrong. Has anyone, through testing or otherwise, found out that it could be IBS, or something completely different, or a combination of IBS and something else?

Replies

• sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I was diagnoised with ibs at 28 but knew I had pcos at 19 my ibs started when I was pregnant in 1995 went when I got pregnant in 1999 and came back when I got pregnant in 2004 its always worse when its totm and I have wondered if its cysts and hormones thats triggering mine? I know I cant eat certain foods and nerves and stress make it bad but like you now Im wondering if its this?
  • Miztif
    Miztif Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Curious to see if anyone on here was told that they have IBS, only to find out that there is a deeper cause to their problems. For me, I was convinced it was IBS because no test or blood work could tell me otherwise. I had an ultrasound, colonoscopy, endoscopy, and countless blood tests for celiacs and food allergies. The only thing that came out of all these tests were food allergies (pork and cumin are severe for me). Seems I also have a long list of moderate and mild intolerances.

Recently, though, I decided to take my problems to my gynecologist, who referred me for a pelvic ultrasound. Ends up I had two cysts on my right ovary, which have since doubled in size. I also have two on my left ovary. Her solution was to go back on the pill. She told me, though, that my cysts could be what's causing my bloating, or it could be in conjunction with my IBS.

So...IBS is a huge umbrella for what could possibly be wrong. Has anyone, through testing or otherwise, found out that it could be IBS, or something completely different, or a combination of IBS and something else?

I am having an endoscopy on thursday, hoping I can get some answers on my Barrertt's esphogaus and everything else that seems to be going on
  • TheMrsGlock
    TheMrsGlock Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i was told that I have IBS...same story, i've had every test done that I can think of. No cysts found, but my mom, aunt, grandmother, all have endometriosis, so i am going to get a LAPEX to see if there's anything in there...could be causing it too they said. I'll try to remember to post again when we find out! either way it is sucky :(
  • claireodactyl
    Options
    They went the other way for me, went through all the gyno stuff first (mainly because I've a history of ovarian cysts), then tested for every possible thing that can be wrong with the bowel. I was first diagnosed with IBS about 15 years ago, but it recently got so bad I spent a week in hospital, the swelling from the IBS had got so bad they could see it on the CT Scans and were sure it was Chron's but all of the bloodwork came back clear so they've decided it is just chronic IBS.

I'm looking at extreme exclusion diets to control it as no medication is helping, but as I'm already a vegetarian and don't drink alcohol or caffeine there isn't a huge amount of food left to cut out! Am waiting to see a dietician now but the NHS are really S...L....O....W

Would be interesting to see what other experiences people have had?