Another challenge? 10lbs

Options
Just curious to see if some of us who have a larger amount of weight to lose would like to do a 10 lb challenge.

Input on "deadline" also welcome.

Replies

• wehrlegirl
    Options
    I looked around a bit because I was thinking a deadline between 2 weeks and a month.
    From what I read you dont have to try too hard to do it in a month.. so that would be, I guess, an easy deadline? Or should it be more of a challenge? One interesting thing I read was a suggestion of burning at least 667 calories a day through exercises. I definitely think Im not doing enough then...
  • Blugal1
    Blugal1 Posts: 92
    Options
    I definitely have 10 lbs to lose, but I think it really depends on the person whether a month is realistic or not. That's 2.5 pounds per week, when I've heard that 'sensible' losses are between 1-2 pounds per week, with 1-1.5 being the most frequently suggested.
  • MexisMom
    MexisMom Posts: 249
    Options
    I know, I thought it might be tricky, but it'd be great to have a little motivation to work hard to get my *kitten* kick started and get those intial results.

Perhaps the burn x amount of calories in a day for 30 days straight or something like that would be a better route? Neat idea!
  • wehrlegirl
    Options
    it might be a hard challenge for some based on that deadline.. for me a 1- 1.5lbs loss a week would frustrate and discourage me.. I need results to keep the motivation up. 10 lbs requires a dropping of 500 cal. a day, according to what Ive been reading.. for some thats a big chunk, for others its not enough because their reg. calorie intake is already high. But I like goals!! So to say a month seems at least realistic, and not too hard... again depending on the person.
  • Blugal1
    Options
    I felt a little like a "Debbie Downer" with my above post, so to counter-act that - I also have read that the first 6-8 pounds are usually easier because they are somewhat water weight, and also because your motivation at the beginning is usually higher.

I was reading that someone was dropping weight (quite a bit) by eating better and using the "30 day shred". I looked into that, it is Jillian Michaels (she is a trainer on The Biggest Loser, which I have never watched). She has a DVD which says if you do her workouts for 30 days straight, you can lose up to 20 pounds. The workouts are only 20-30 minutes, but they are very intense.

My local library actually had a copy, so I borrowed it tonight. I will try it on the weekend and report back!
  • jingoace
    jingoace Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Um...some people lose on the JM 30 day shred. I did it in Sept & did not lose. I am committed to doing it again, and am currently on day 16 and am GAINING. I don't think I will do the 30ds again for weight-loss... it does do a dang good job of TONING your upper body... but not fantastic for weight-loss, Just imho.

Also 2 # loss per week IS doable if you have ALOT of weight to lose. The average loss is about 1/2# per week. If you're losing weight at a higher rate than that, you stand a really good chance of putting it all back on, just as fast. IMHO, if you lose the weight slowly, through better nutrition choices, better exercise choices, then you will keep the weight off in the long-run. Think of it as a healthier lifestyle, not a DIET. Again, just inho.

:) J
  • SophinMaine
    SophinMaine Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    IMHO, if you lose the weight slowly, through better nutrition choices, better exercise choices, then you will keep the weight off in the long-run. Think of it as a healthier lifestyle, not a DIET. Again, just inho.

:) J

I totally agree with the above. If you try this kind of challenge, you may lose the weight because you're motivated etc, but you may not be able to keep going at that rate, (I don't think it's healthy, either) and you'll get it all back. (says she who just splurged on a good meal + wine + dessert with friends last night...lol)
    For me, my deadline is more, say, when I'll have to be in a bathing suit again, so I have plenty of time until summer!
  • KCoyoteco
    Options
    I think it may be a good idea for some people who want to - sort of a "whatever works" idea and I can see that being motivational. I think, for myself, I have some pretty aggressive goals so I like the idea of a pass-fail on my goals - maybe a A,B,C,D,F scale rather than pass-fail :)
    I don't agree that losing weight fast, or using such motivational tricks, increases my chances of regaining. I know that it does not, but guess I can't speak of the effect it might have on someone else. Weight loss is weight gone, and the mental tricks I may use don't negatively effect the post-diet life.
  • KCoyoteco
    Options
    You could do a "first one to lose 10 pounds" wins. I'm down one. :) Then, either that person is out until the next round while the others finish which will start on a certain date. Then it resets where you are for the second round. Something like that, just a preliminary thought
  • MexisMom
    MexisMom Posts: 249
    Options
    K, that's a neat idea!

I'm not trying to promote fast or unhealthy weight loss. I also know it's not just a numbers game, but I have enough to lose that right now, all the changes I'm making are geared toward the numbers on the scale going downward.

For me, a little friendly competition is a good thing. Keeps me motivated and on point!
  • ohrebecca
    ohrebecca Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm always up for a little friendly competition! One of my friends was doing a virtual Biggest Loser on fb, but I don't have the $50 to throw my hat in the ring right now!
  • Blugal1
    Options
    I think "first one to lose 10 lbs" might be good. On another thread on the main message board, I signed up for 10 pounds by Valentine's Day. However after my first weigh-in today I'm not so sure about that - I have done better in inches than in pounds lost.
  • KCoyoteco
    Options
    Well, it's not going to be me!! :)
  • Blugal1
    Options
    Don't think it'll be me either...! I will struggle to get near 10 lbs by Valentine's day. However, I have lost inches, and people have commented on that (plus, my pants are too big - yay!) - so, will just keep working on it every day.
  • KCoyoteco
    Options
    Inches are better than pounds! and so is the fitness that you seem to be gaining. Congratualations!
    I have more important goals than pounds, so I'm not at ticked off as I sometimes am when there appears to be no relationship between food consumption and weight - so I've moved on a bit to the other goals. (But still fastidious about the food intake and *think* that that is about to take hold and work - we'll see). I'm seeing definite improvement in my legs/knees primarily from the stretching, but also from slow jogging - the slow may bring down the cardio benefit, but allows me to stretch the knee as I run.
  • KCoyoteco
    Options
    Oh, so who is it going to be? Who is moving closer to that 10 pounds?!
  • Rttigrl
    Options
    I'll bite--10.4 pounds today! I was down 11 mid-last week, but it wasn't my official weigh-in day, so I didn't log it. :( Oh, well--on ward and upward. This group is so helpful--thank you to everyone who actually looks at my food! I FEEL ACCOUNTABLE! :) (now, if only my clothes would start to get loose...)
  • KCoyoteco
    Options
    Cool, Congratulations!
  • Duckz1
    Duckz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Wow, awesome! Great job :) I'll get there sooner or later.