10 things you could do instead of randomly eating

Options
SlinkyNewMe
SlinkyNewMe Posts: 213 Member
It has to be things you can do both for and by YOURSELF!

1. Go fantasy shopping on the internet - choosing clothes for your goal weight - print them and keep them!
2. Give yourself a pampering. Have a soak in the bath. Wax/shave your hairy bits. Pluck eyebrows. Manicure/pedicure and paint fingernails/toenails
3. Experiment with make up and your hair - like you used to when you were a teenager!
4. Practice/learn something you have always wanted to do - in my case that's my guitar, crochet, applique
5. Revisit a previously loved hobby/pastime - in my case that would be dressmaking
6. Dance around like you're on MTV to music that YOU like!
7. Look at the before and after pics on MFP!
8. Clear out some of (your own) clutter, or re-organise (your own) study/den/wardrobe/shoes - whatever but it has to be YOURS!
9. Read a chapter from a motivational book
10.Lay down, close your eyes, relax and visualise yourself at your goal weight - what does it feel like, what will you be doing, etc?

Remember what we have all agreed before - that for many of us our weight gain has been due to external stressors in our life. We turned to food as a quick fix way of comforting ourselves, when we have become stressed, or overstretched.

We have internalised that it is selfish or self-indulgent to spend time on ourselves. We take our cars to the garage to be serviced regularly and yet we run ourselves into the ground?!

Remember who drives that car. Remember yourself - you're still here! And you are FABULOUS!

Replies

• lollye51
    lollye51 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Love it, thanks. You are right, we do forget about ourselves, I will be kind to myself that is my goal.:heart:
  • sdolan825
    Options
    Great post...THANK YOU!!! Sometimes you really do need to slow down and remember that YOU are worth a little pampering too.
    I forget that often. Thank you for reminding me Slinky it truly isnt about FOOD its about ME.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Love this post! I work from home and find myself snacking throughout the day when I get bored - I'm going to try some of these alternatives when I need a break :-)
  • tbskipp
    tbskipp Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions!
    I have a 6 yr old daughter and she and i have started coloring a lot together. It's fun and makes me feel like a kid again. She's a great little cheerleader too. My biggest supporter!
    :wink:
  • stone307
    Options
    Excellent ideas. I have a catalog that I just circled outfits in. I look at it every day for motivation.
  • woodmetal
    Options
    You are an amazing and insightful woman!!
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I like your ten. Let's see if I can add some more....

1. Spend time with my kids
    2. Pray
    3. Go to the park - take in fresh air, play on the swingset, lay on a blanket, toss frisbie, walk...whatever!
    4. Watch a good movie
    5. Call a girlfriend and chat about nothing in particular!
    6. Ramble around Homegoods (TJ MAXX homestore)....my favorite!
    7. Actually make a project I found on Pinterest!
    8. Check out match.com......LOL! I'm single and just had to put that....I'm not actually a member of it....yet!!
    9. Update my recipe book - because I'm always printing/cutting out recipes but then I lose them...
    10. Play dress up in my closet - lets see what fits (again!)
  • SlinkyNewMe
    Options
    That's a great 10. Has anyone else got some ideas. Please share!
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    My current distraction from the evening munchies is www.isketch.net. It's a pictionary type game where you take turns to draw and guess words with other players. It's wonderfully addictive :smile:
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the list...I went through my closet. I now have a good problem...having to decide which clothes to give away, because they're too big.
  • DeltaDiva5
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder. Needed it. :)
  • mkrbksd
    mkrbksd Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Here are my 10 in no particular order:

1) Read a book
    2) Play "Just Dance 3" with my kids - they can't believe I can beat them sometimes!
    3) Drink a mug of hot tea
    4) Walk the dog
    5) Get on MFP and check out the message boards
    6) Clean up the basement (current home project)
    7) Plan healthy meals
    8) Call a friend
    9) Go workout or stretch my sore muscles from working out
    10) Get on my home email and catch up!

This is an interesting exercise - it took a bit to come up with 10 things.

I'll keep this list close by for those tougher days!

Thanks for the post!
  • SlinkyNewMe
    Options
    It is hard to come up with 10 isn't it - especially 10 things that you can do ON YOUR OWN. The reason why I chose things I could do on my own - is because I already spend 99% of my waking hours doing stuff for, with or because of other people. For me this is about reconnecting to myself. I do stuff with my son/husband/friends - but I seldom spend any time with myself!

My eating is around being bored or stressed, and the reason I am bored or stressed is because I have forgotten about ME - so busy have I been doing things for others. So for me spending time WITH myself, getting to know myself, looking after myself instead in other ways instead of eating sounds like a plan.
  • kimber89
    kimber89 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!
  • saffronblue
    saffronblue Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Great ideas, and what's more...what a great, supportive bunch of ladies. I love how positive and encouraging everyone is. Funny, in 'real life' it doesn't seem like folks are as inspirational. I mean I get support and encouragement, just not this much! Love this community!
  • Summerlove1993
    Summerlove1993 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    1. Chat with my daughter about her adventures
    2. Play Wii, specifically Just Dance 3 (Yes it is sooooo cool to beat your kid!)
    3. Mani/Pedi (do it yourself...I recently got a nail infection from an upcale salon, so I'm doing my own now!)
    4. Read (devour) humorous romance novels
    5. Garden (when the season allows...coming soon for us in the northeast)
    6. Play Words with Friends or Angry Birds on my iphone
    7. Fold laundry and sort through clothes that are too big!
    8. Facial
    9. Watch silly videos on Youtube with teenage daughter
    10. Crafts

16215868.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • SlinkyNewMe
    Options
    Great 10. I have thought of some more....
    1. Gardening - digging/weeding/pruning
    2. Clear out kitchen cupboards
    3. Catch up on some paperwork
    4. Knitting (you absolutely cannot knit and eat at the same time)
    5. Back up your files on the computer
    6. Go up into the attic/garage and sort out stuff to put on Ebay
    7. Plan your next holiday
    8. Try and find old acquaintances on Facebook
    9. Look for a new job - you never know what's out there
    10. Check out some night classes in something you have always wanted to learn
  • suziQ101
    suziQ101 Posts: 1
    Options
    Brand new to the group .... so excited and love all the suggestions for things to do other than stress eat! I will be back to read again and again!
  • saffronblue
    saffronblue Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi SuziQ!
  • Basia_and4345
    Basia_and4345 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Great Post :flowerforyou: