Castings That You Love/Hate

Options
I think they did an excellent job casting Sean Bean with Ned Stark (who manages to never pick roles where he lives out the whole movie/series), Robert is lechorous, Arya is just as I thought of her, and of course Tyrion kind of steals the show.

Dislikes...hm, Cersei seems a bit too meek for my taste. Sometimes my problem stems from the physical descriptions being so different from what's described in the book (Jorah's supposed to be bald, Robb is auburn haired, Tyrion is supposed to be hideous).

Is it wrong if I say the Hound isn't hideous enough? Cause he's not. That guy barely looks burned!

Replies

• krakensdaughter
    Options
    He definitely didn't match the physical description in the book and had I read the books before seeing the show, I would have been very skeptical of his casting. But Harry Lloyd is AMAZING as Viserys. Watching the show, I loved him in spite of his ****like personality at times but reading the book I was kind of meh about him. Jack Gleeson does a fantastic job as Joffrey too.

I don't really dislike any of the castings too much. Though it's likely because I saw the show first. I'm curious what will happen when I see the season two cast in action since I had already cast those characters in my head before the official cast was announced.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Littlefinger was a casting win. Jon isn't bad. The Mountain and Varys are much too small. Sansa is too old. But Jeffrey is impeccable.
  • toadiejones
    toadiejones Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Most of them I think were awesome. Tyrion (ah amazing!) , Ned, Jon, Robert, Littlefinger, Arya, Syrio, Joffery, Viserys, Drogo, Tywin, Lsya all great.

I don't like Theon's casting. Can't really pin down what it is but he really irks me. Master Illyrio is not even slightly fat enough. Mountain and Hodor are also too small but I guess those are all pretty tough casts for sizing! Cersei and Jamie aren't quite devious enough for me but Lena is growing on me. Hope we see more crazy this season. Not sure I completely fall for Dany but, meh, she's alright. I thought Catelyn should be a bit more elegant. Sansa too. And I expected a way more handsome/flamboyant/likable Renly. At least I don't have to put up with him too much longer! Ha!

I'm looking forward to seeing Brienne, Margery, Melisandre and Stannis. Hope they are good!
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    WTF was I thinking?!! How could I fail to mention the powerful, pleasurable, utterly delicious Khal Drogo casting. That Lisa Bonet is one lucky lady...
  • Banannafish512
    Banannafish512 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you guys are fans of Game of Thrones on FB, they've released Season 2 pics with some new characters, like Davos, Stannis, Melisandre, Brienne, Balon Greyjoy along with some pictures of the old folks (Jon, Cat, Arya, etc). I'm pleasantly surprised with Brienne...not exactly book description, but not a polished Hollywood image either.

And yes, Khal Drogo...he didn't talk much, but when he did, that was just another panty-dropping situation...Although, as an aside, one thing that bothered me was that he technically rapes Dany in the TV series, whereas he seduces her in the book. The show makes it "forgivable" because Dany ends up loving him, but it still irritates me...

I think the show displays Theon as a humane kind of guy, right from the beginning? Like we see his flaws right from the go, but in the book there wasn't much shown about Theon's character per se? Idk, but I agree that the Theon casting could be better.
  • p0stdramatic
    Options

And yes, Khal Drogo...he didn't talk much, but when he did, that was just another panty-dropping situation...Although, as an aside, one thing that bothered me was that he technically rapes Dany in the TV series, whereas he seduces her in the book. The show makes it "forgivable" because Dany ends up loving him, but it still irritates me...

That annoyed the crap out of me too, but whatever makes good TV, right? All in all, I expected to spend the whole series annoyed, but they were mostly changes I could live with. Except the red-headed prostitute. She wasted so much story telling time in my opinion.

I thought Brienne was brilliantly cast, but that girl has one of those faces. She can be absolutely stunning or pretty plain, depending on how she's done up. I know Natalie Dormer is old to be playing Margaery Tyrell, but I love her and think she will be great for the part.

I completely disagreed with Jon's casting at first, but he grew on me. Now I like him. Littlefinger is brilliant. My one character I absolutely can't stand the casting for is probably Catelyn. I can't really put my finger on why.

I really can't wait for April 1!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Magister Illyrio Mopatis - this dude was supposed to be a whale - like in the book.. hes so slim considering what he is described as in the book.
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I don't think the person they cast as Loras is hawt enough. Maybe it's his hair but when I first saw him, my first thought was 'ewww, he's not pretty enough to be Loras.'

Other than that, I don't think I really have any complaints. Can't wait til season 2 starts tonight... but what I'm really looking forward to is books 6 & 7. :)
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    So with freezerburn on this. I was upset with Loras, and also the fact they made Renly gay. Not against any gays, just upset cause there was nothin about Renly and Loras as lovers in the books. Brienne I thought had darker hair, and a little more awkward. Love every1 else. I thought Margery was a little younger too
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    So with freezerburn on this. I was upset with Loras, and also the fact they made Renly gay. Not against any gays, just upset cause there was nothin about Renly and Loras as lovers in the books. Brienne I thought had darker hair, and a little more awkward. Love every1 else. I thought Margery was a little younger too

Renly and Loras's relationship was hinted at in the book but never so blatant. I'm fine with it but I don't remember Margery knowing about it.
  • Banannafish512
    Banannafish512 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

Renly and Loras's relationship was hinted at in the book but never so blatant. I'm fine with it but I don't remember Margery knowing about it.

I think Margarey would have to know...everyone else seems to. Cersei, Stannis, ( hell, anyone that heard that Renly married a woman), was surprised about it because it was so commonly known to the Court that Renly preferred men. Whether she knew her husband was in love with her brother, yeah, she might not have known that.