Race for Life 2012

Options
MelanieAG05
MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
Hi

I just wondered if anyone here is doing the Cancer Research Race for Life 5km this year (or 10km) as I am looking for some support!

I have signed up for the one in South Queensferry near Edinburgh for 6th May 2012 and have just started training using the C25K program

Mel x

Replies

• gtfcnat
    gtfcnat Posts: 199
    Options
    I've done it 3 or 4 times in the past but I'm not a good runner, so mainly walked most of it. Good luck with the training & race :smile:
  • nothingisred
    Options
    I have been saying for a couple of months now that I want to train for a charity 5k or 10k run I just needed to find one, I completely forgot about Race for Life!

Thanks for reminding me, I am signing up now to the 5k in Bath on Sunday 17th June and the 10k in Blackheath on Sunday 1st July.

What's the C25k program?

It's a very important cause to me as well, cancer is very prevelant in my family and my ex's father has pancreatic cancer, he's at his final stages at the moment, if he lasts until his birthday next month it will be a miracle. When he was diagnosed I promised my ex I would help him raise money for cancer any way that I could.
  • MelanieAG05
    Options
    I have been saying for a couple of months now that I want to train for a charity 5k or 10k run I just needed to find one, I completely forgot about Race for Life!

Thanks for reminding me, I am signing up now to the 5k in Bath on Sunday 17th June and the 10k in Blackheath on Sunday 1st July.

What's the C25k program?

It's a very important cause to me as well, cancer is very prevelant in my family and my ex's father has pancreatic cancer, he's at his final stages at the moment, if he lasts until his birthday next month it will be a miracle. When he was diagnosed I promised my ex I would help him raise money for cancer any way that I could.

Brilliant!! C25K is short for Couch to 5K and is a 9 week program getting you to run 5Km - I think there is an extension for 10km somewhere as well. Website is www.c25k.com

Good Luck! Will add you as friend if that is okay?

Mel
  • nothingisred
    Options
    Oh that looks fantastic! It's a very doable plan...I can fit that into my routine. I definitely need a plan to get me into running, I only run grudgingly so I need motivation, but I want to do this to reach a certain level of fitness (and of course to raise as much money as I can).

Yeah it will be great to have someone to progress with!

How much are you hoping to raise? I'm thinking as mine aren't until June/July it might be a tad early to start asking for donations...
  • EllieMo
    EllieMo Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've just entered the Gloucester Race, on 17th June.
  • skinnyjo76
    Options
    I've done the Windsor race 4 times and plan to do it again this year :)
    I'm also doing c25k:happy:
  • rdpixie
    rdpixie Posts: 96
    Options
    I'm doing a whole year of running fundraising this year for The Eve Appeal (funding gynecological cancer in women) and doing my first half marathon, first marathon as well as Warrior Dash. So I may take part in a 5k for Race For Life but not raise money. Its always an overwhelming experience reading everyones messages on their back taking in all the stories.
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about doing the one in Cannon Hill Park in BIrmingham in July.
  • phwoggy
    Options
    I'm doing my third 5k in Lancaster on 21st July. First time I did it in 30 mins, last year in 40 mins but this year I'm hoping to get it down to 20 mins!

Most important thing I've found is to get some really good trainers, yes they can be expensive but you'll be grateful for it when you cross that finish line!
  • loosetorideagain
    loosetorideagain Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am running it on 24 June at Stoneleigh Park, Warwickshire

Can't wait... have done it for the past few years, it's always fun
  • sammylc
    sammylc Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've walked it in the past as I've never been a runner, but I'm half way through the C25K so I am hoping to run it this year. I hadn't realised that dates had been published, so I'd better get organised and enter one.
  • pinkprincess205
    Options
    Hi
    Yesil be doin it, think this is my 6th ot 7th year. I do it in norfolk. I dont run, have afew medical issues so jus walk it. Takes about a hr x
  • LMT90
    LMT90 Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm signing up to do this :) x
  • nixnax
    nixnax Posts: 42
    Options
    I'll be doing the Bristol 10k RFL, My 3rd year in a row.
  • MelanieAG05
    Options
    nice one folks - great to hear it has some support. I was about to start week 6 of C25k today but when i was getting dressed to go out I pulled a muscle in my right lower back.......no running until it is fixed - very frustrating!
  • beccci91
    beccci91 Posts: 214
    Options
    Hi

I just wondered if anyone here is doing the Cancer Research Race for Life 5km this year (or 10km) as I am looking for some support!

I have signed up for the one in South Queensferry near Edinburgh for 6th May 2012 and have just started training using the C25K program

Mel x

I'm doing the South Queensferry 5K! :) and I am also doing the 10K at Holyrood Park (Edinburgh) on the 17th June
  • MelanieAG05
    Options
    [/quote]

I'm doing the South Queensferry 5K! :) and I am also doing the 10K at Holyrood Park (Edinburgh) on the 17th June
    [/quote]

Excellent - might see you there then! Not quite up to 10k yet! I'll stick to 5km for now.
  • beccci91
    beccci91 Posts: 214
    Options

[/quote]

Excellent - might see you there then! Not quite up to 10k yet! I'll stick to 5km for now.
    [/quote]

I did the 10K last year and loved it, walked the whole thing so this year I am hoping to be able to jog quite a bit of it, that would mean the world to me
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I'm doing my first this year. 14th July at Regents Park London. Will be jogging/power walking while pushing my daughter in her buggy. Should be interesting having an extra 30+lbs to push lol
  • tracym17
    tracym17 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am doing the Glasgow race on 3rd June. I am also using c25k and am in week 4, though I think I will end up walking on the day because my two sisters have signed up with me but neither are interested in running so I've been training by myself.