How much sugar? Salt? Water? Carbs?

Options
Sherie13
Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
It's so hard to tell how much of what we should be having... I am so confused. I heard that you should take your body weight and divide it by 2, and that's how many ounces of water you should be drinking. Is that too much? Is it not enough?

What about sugar? The trainer at the gym said no sugar... Now I know he means no processed sugar, not sugar from fruit, but how much? How much is too much?

What do you ladies think? Do you have set goals for all of these? Only some of these? Or do you just follow MFP's guidelines?

Replies

• GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    For water I try to drink at least 8 weather I am thirsty or not. Then I drink if I'm thirsty. If I've eaten a lot of sodium that day I will force myself up to 12 to help flush it. As far as sugar, I do NOT go by the sugar on here. One orange, and you are done for the day. Blah. Everyone's body handles carbs differently, mine obviously likes them I'm guessing lol So, I don't worry about them. I don't usually go over what MFP recommends, but I'm pretty sure most people would think that my carbs are high. Between bread, oatmeal, potatoes, and rice....... Unless you have a professional body composition type work up done telling you what specific need YOUR body has its hard to say.... some people need more protein (I know if I'm not above what MFP has I get sick and feel like crap), some people need to cut back on the carbs..... I say moderation, and listen to your body.... it will let you know what you need..... unless it says a box of Twinkies, and a large pizza, then you might want to rethink it lol :laugh:
  • theresabugx
    theresabugx Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    so this is what i have found after doing a bunch of reading/research. you should have 1- 1.5 grams of protein for every pound of Ideal body weight, Ie my Ideal weight (not actual) is 130 pds so i am for 130 grams of protein a day, and the as for fat and carbs you should fairly evenly divide the too. so if you go into your goal and costumize your macronutrients you would get your protein where it needs to be, mines around 45% and evenly divide your carbs and fat after that. I think i set my carbs at 25% and fat is at 30%. the reason you want that amount of protein is so you do not risk losing any muscle mass while losing weight. "feed the muscles, burn the fat" as for sugar. I just try to stay low and from "whole" foods, with exceptions of course. Ill have to look for the site to calculate water, i forget who posted it, but it was an individual test to fig out your correct amount of water. ill post when i find it
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I heard on NPR this morning that <someone, I was drying my hair> said that we should have <10 tsp of sugar per day. I have a feeling that's about one orange?