Kettlebell advice and recommendations

Options
Frannybobs
Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
Hi all

Seem to see these everywhere at the moment, on all the fitness TV programs and at a gym I was at at weekend (not my gym sadly).

Does anyone have some - any recommendations? I don't do much weight training really - but I'm keen to do that as well as cardio to improve all round fitness and muscle tone.

I have TiVO which means I have YouTube on my TV so I reckon I could find some Kettlebell workouts on there, but it's knowing where to start. Plus UK advice of makes and recommended workouts would be great

Many thanks,
Fran

Replies

• wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Hi hun,

Kettlenetics is pretty good and comes with a 'starter' kbell (4lb) which is plenty heavy enough to strat with:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kettlenetics-Womens-Kettlebell-workout/dp/B004HK90AK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328647520&sr=8-1

or something cheaper so you can check out whether you like it or not is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/10-Minute-Solution-Ultimate-Kettlebell/dp/B001X22XF4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328647520&sr=8-2

In fact in this one she uses a dumbell to do the kbell moves, which is also an option instead of buying a kbell. Also you can do as little as 10 mins, or link all 5 workouts into one ........

wendy :-)
  • MEMoggridge
    MEMoggridge Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Not sure if they still are but Sainsburys had a half price sale on kettlebells a couple of weeks ago??? Not sure on quality but they'd get u started at least???
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice ladies :-)

Going to see if the silver free weights at the gym that a trainer is going to show me does what I want for now...but if I like them I will definitely look to get kettle bell(s). Then I'll have an idea what weights to go for too.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    My advice would to try and find advice from RKC sources.

Kettlebells are being ruined by junk like kettlenetics which completely miss the point in kettlebells.

The whole point is to use moves that use the whole body, and therefore a weight that requires you to use your whole body.

If you're elderly, infirm, young adult or anorexic, then you may need a 8kg kettlebell. If you're not and have exercised before, 12kg would be more suitable.

Kettlebells for dummies is written by an RKC instructor.
  • MogwaisGrandma
    MogwaisGrandma Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My advice would to try and find advice from RKC sources.

Kettlebells are being ruined by junk like kettlenetics which completely miss the point in kettlebells.

The whole point is to use moves that use the whole body, and therefore a weight that requires you to use your whole body.

If you're elderly, infirm, young adult or anorexic, then you may need a 8kg kettlebell. If you're not and have exercised before, 12kg would be more suitable.

Kettlebells for dummies is written by an RKC instructor.

12kg for a beginner KB user? Sorry but no way! Far too heavy.

My PT started me on a 4, then after 2 sessions and once I got the correct swing and positioning onto a 6 and so on upwards with single and double bells. If you can get to a gym speak to an instructor and ask them to show you how to use them to their fullest.

I bought 2 York Kettlebells off Amazon in Jan. Although the KB's are not the best they do while I am going up the weight. I saw the Kettlebells for Dummies book and wasn't too sure about it but I think I may buy it now.

Good luck and enjoy.
  • Alicai
    Alicai Posts: 55
    Options
    Hi,

I bought mine from Argos and it's fantastic. I bought a 10lb bell, but you can get them in all different weights. It's one of my fav pieces of home gym equipment because they can be used for just about anything. Definitely worth the small investment...

.... unlike the hula hoop I once bought! :laugh:
  • rachealb1972
    Options
    I got my 5kg one form Aldi for £5.99 i love it use it daily it helps with arms and my legs as i do squats with mine