Is this tip true or am I missing something

Options
Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
I heard a really great tip the other day. If you want to know if something is vegan look at the cholesterol on the nutrition info. If the cholesterol is 0 then it doesn't have any animal products in it. Is this completely true or am I not considering something? I hope this is because if so...what an aweseome tip to make shopping easier!

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    are all the vegans off today?
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I do know for a fact that dietary cholesterol only exists in animals and animal foods. I don't know if that means that there are no animal products in all food that have 0 cholesterol. I'd like a little help here too.
  • JayneTraub
    JayneTraub Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how strict a vegan you are. Food additives that may contain animal products such as the beetles they crush for colouring probably wouldn't contain cholesterol. Also finings they use in wine and some beers I don't think contain cholesterol. Sounds likely because even gelatin contains it!
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It's a decent tip, and mostly true, but as Jayne says, not always. Veggie Slices Soy Cheese are cholesterol free but contain casein (milk protein). That's pretty common with soy dairy products especially.
  • GoodMorningGirl
    GoodMorningGirl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't know if your tip is true or not, but I make label reading a little easier for myself by first looking at the statement below the ingredients where it tells you if a product contains wheat, eggs, milk, soy, or nuts (presumably because of food allergies?). If I see that it doesn't have milk or eggs there, then I read the ingredients list.

Sometimes I also look on PETA or other websites that list vegan foods.
  • sammybey
    sammybey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing as GoodMorningGirl!
  • smoffette
    smoffette Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    if it has any cholesterol in it, it's not vegan; however, just seeing that there is no cholesterol in the nutrition facts is not an automatic indication that the item is actually vegan....for all the reasons previously mentioned, plus food packagers are only required to note amounts of "nutrients" when they are above a certain threshold...so there may indeed be some cholesterol in the food item, but it is not considered sufficient to report.

hope this helps!
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    No you cannot trust this as there are many animal biproducts that do not have enough Cholesterol in them to HAVE to show up on the nutrition guidelines.
  • LucybellMocha
    Options
    The no cholesterol thing may be true, but I would not soley rely on that. The only way you can be sure of what you're putting in your body is to buy everything fresh and make it from scratch, or, when eating packaged items, read each and every ingredient, outloud, a couple of times, so you don't miss anything (that's what I do).
  • bilzprincess
    bilzprincess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    The opposite wld hold true: if u see cholesterol, then It has animals in it. But egg whites or similar wld blow the theory of no cholesterol equals no animals.