Lady lushes- alcohol and weight loss

Options
Some women choose to cut out all alcohol while losing weight, some never drink at all. I am not one of those women.

For those of us who do drink lets talk about what we drink, the problems we've had in the past with drinking and weight gain, and suggestions on how to do better.

I enjoy wine, cider, rum (most hard booze actually) and even beer sometimes. My problem when it comes to drinking and lose/maintaining weight loss is that I snack/binge on junk foods when I've had a few drinks.

My action plan for future boozing:

1) Only drink booze if I can reasonably judge it's calorie content
2) Only mix hard booze with flavoured water or diet sodas
3) Stop the crazy snacking when I'm drinking
4) Plan how much I want to drink before I do and work it into my daily calorie goal.

Oh and this website is mostly funny but if you're wondering what the lowest calorie drinks are check out Get Drunk Not Fat.

http://getdrunknotfat.com/

Replies

• lulabox
    lulabox Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Ditto. I've done well: I've managed to ration myself in the last 2 weeks. I did have a big Saturday night last week, but I had at least half of what I usually drink on a night out... (having recorded it, it's scary to think what I would have drank otherwise!!!)
  • heatherwhite6823
    Options
    I have limited alcohol to the weekends. I added the calories and it added 800 cal to my day! I was drinking beer and malt liquor though.
  • LilMissWiggles
    Options
    Wow! After making it my number on goal to better myself and my lifestyle, I never knew how caloric alcohol could be. Seeing your post before and visiting the websit you sujected, I really pigged out on New Year's Eve.
    Thanks for the advise!
  • Clael11
    Clael11 Posts: 12
    Options
    My Favorite is bicardi limon and water. Refreshing and hydrating. Vodka and flavored water is great too!
  • CaseyBee
    CaseyBee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I love dark beer, the darker the better! My favorite is the Oatmeal Stout from a local brewery, oh gosh. I really don't drink that often, but it's never consistent. Sometimes it's 3 in a week, other times I'll go a month without. DH doesn't drink, as he comes from a long line of alcoholics, but he likes to bring home new beers for me to try sometimes. ((He's a gifts guy, and I love him. :)

ETA: I forgot to say that because of respect for DH and his family background, my rule is just one drink per day. Also, one of my favorite ways to warm up during the winter is kahlua and hot chocolate, but I've been trying really hard to avoid that one. Too many calories! :)
  • Ericacea
    Options
    I'm a lover of beer and red wine. I'm going to keep treating myself from time to time.

Here are some interesting beer stats, further proving that Guinness is good for you:

http://thebestlist.menshealth.com/list/best-lower-calorie-beers

Also, I'd probably rather choke than have a white wine spritzer. Here's some red wine breakdowns, though red wine can vary greatly:

http://www.thefatlossauthority.com/fat_loss_tips/red-wine-nutrition-facts-how-many-calories-in-red-wine

Everything in moderation. Keep up the good work, ladies!
  • karagav
    karagav Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    i was just talking to a coworker about this tonight...we had a bit of a rough shift and she texted her boyfriend to pick up a six pack before the beer store closed so she could relax after work!! since i've been on here and watching what i eat, i haven't had a drink...i've also been so busy that i haven't been put in a situation where i'd be tempted to drink either!!
    i'm horrible when it comes to having just one or two, and i also eat like crazy once i'm buzzed...after my exams this week my plan is to have a bottle of wine at a friend's on the weekend...so maybe i'll look into the lowest calorie drink instead, take only a certain amount and bring my own snacks because god knows, she'll have so much delicious food out i won't be able to control myself!!

as much as this whole situation makes me pretty nervous...it's life, and it can't be avoided or else where's the fun?!
  • keets24
    Options
    I try to stick to flavored water and flavored vodka, or crystal light and vodka. Snacking while drinking is a major issue for me. I started forcing myself to honestly log the late night snacking and it really makes me more conscious of just how many chips i'm consuming!
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I had a crappy night at work the other night and when I got home I splurged on a bottle of red, some cheese and crackers... after I added it in I felt really guilty... but its not like I'm doing it every day.

I love me a good dark beer... but its been a long time since I've splurged on one. If I'm planning on having a drink I usually bust my @$$ at the gym so I can some extra calories to play with.
  • horsessrb
    horsessrb Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm going out one night, I estimate what I'm likely to drink and enter it into MFP that morning. That gives me a better idea of what I can eat during the day without blowing it all late at night.

Vodka soda with lime is probably about as low cal as you can get. Alternating with water, diet coke, or sugar free redbull is always a good option too.
  • mebohan
    mebohan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I find that it helps to remember that I have to workout in the morning! I tend not to drink so much, and then I feel guilty for drinking and make sure I get up and exercise in the morning! It's a win-win!
  • shanalivee
    Options
    I am a fan of all beers and wine. Logging the cals for one night of partying for my husbands birthday almost killed me! i had had over 1000 cals in drinks alone! I am the kind of drinker that drinks with the intent to get a buzz but limiting myself to just one beer because of the calories doesnt seem worth the trouble. So i am thinking if i want to enjoy alcohol i shall have wine instead.
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have lost 9.6 lbs (doesn't sound like a lot but I'm not that big) while still drinking alcohol. I drink whenever I want, but I make *better* choices and log everything- which helps with the drinking-snacking.

I usually go for a hard liquor and diet drink and skip the beer and wine.

Maybe I'd be at my goal if I stopped drinking completely, but I am happy with my progress and still get to indulge (that goes for food treats too). I just workout harder and be honest with what I consume. Works for me!
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I go for a few things.. my favorite drink is gin and tonic, but I love jager, sweet tea vodka, tequila, disaronno, and white wine. I try to stick to drinks that are lower in cals now that I am trying to lose weight - like gin and diet tonic, or vodka soda's with a splash of cran, or homemade margaritas involving triple sec, tequila, lime juice and agave syrup. Buut I'm still living with my housemates on a college campus so nights of crazy drinking are bound to happen!

I've still lost 5.5 lbs since I started in January and I've still been drinking. I try to keep my calories under control that day and leave some extras for the alcohol, I try not to drunk snack or if I do I try to eat things like a slice of ezekial bread with a little almond butter or neufschatel cheese. I imagine I'd be losing weight faster if I weren't drinking on weekends, but it's my last semester at college and some things just aren't worth giving up!