Contraception and the Catholic Church

Options
Espressocycle
Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
Catholic Church says it violates their first ammendment rights to be forced to include contraception in health insurance plans for employees of Catholic-affiliated colleges, hospitals and charities. Churches and other strictly religious institutions are exempt. This law is meant to standardize what all health plans must offer so that they can be easily compared.

First of all, a health plan is part of an employee's total compensation, so not including it in health insurance is no different than not allowing an employee to buy contraception with money they earned at their job. Also, I would be willing to bet that a health plan that doesn't cover contraception actually costs more, since the cost of a single extra pregnancy is about $10,000 to the health plan - a lot more expensive than pills.

Second, these hospitals, colleges and charities may be owned by the Catholic Church, but they compete with secular institutions for funding, customers and employees. They charge for services, accept government contracts, participate in governmet programs, etc. Why should they get special treatment?

Replies

• Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    It doesn't force anone to use contraception. It only offers it as an option should someone choose to use it. If they are allowed to not cover it then where does it end? If they are in a state with gay marriage can they deny coverage to a same sex spouse since that also goes against their religious beliefs? Can they refuse to cover atheists? If someone gets pregnant out of wedlock can they refuse to cover the pregnancy?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    The 'Sisters of St Francis" hospitals in Indiana will NOT perform tubal ligations and vasectomys. I also couldn't visit certain websites on their wifi because of "content". But they receive funding from tax money. Is this not a violation of separtion of church and state?

This is one of two hospitals in our city. It definitely makes it very difficult to have a choice when the next good hospital is 60 miles away. :explode:
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    They are only be required to cover not force anyone to take it as Bahet stated. What kills me though is that the leaders of the Catholic Church seem to be so out of touch with their parish. The majority of the Catholic Church actually supports health insurance covering birth control and according to a recent survey 98% of sexually active Catholic women have used it. Yet the Catholic leaders are in an uproar about having to provide health insurance that covers it. I actually read this in the paper over the weekend but the article below states the same thing. When do we start realizing that what may have been appropriate 3000 years ago is not appropriate now? I do have a question though. Since the Catholic Church doesn't believe in birth control, if they discover that a woman is using it, what happens? Is she punished? Is she forced to repent or exiled? I'm asking simply because I honestly don't know and I'm curious since such a large number of the female population of the Catholic Church are going against it's beliefs anyway.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120208/NEWS07/120208008/Survey-Majority-of-Catholics-support-including-birth-control-in-health-care-plans
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Tubal ligations, vasectomies, and birth control are all elective procedures. None of them are life-saving, or "necessary".

So the real struggle is between whose rights are more important? The patient's desire for an elective procedure or medication, versus the doctor/hospital/pharmacist's desire not to sin (from their point of view, giving these procedures or medications is sinning)?

I understand how frustrating it must be for someone whose only nearby hospital choice is a Catholic one, but should they be forced to perform procedures or give medications which are elective, even in light of their own moral protest?
  • Espressocycle
    Options
    I understand how frustrating it must be for someone whose only nearby hospital choice is a Catholic one, but should they be forced to perform procedures or give medications which are elective, even in light of their own moral protest?

Well, including coverage in an insurance package and actually doing it are very different things. A hospital is not required to have every service available - they all have their own specialties. Of course, a pharmacy might be a different ,matter.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Tubal ligations, vasectomies, and birth control are all elective procedures. None of them are life-saving, or "necessary".

I have to say that I know many medics who would disagree with you on that - in some cases, particularly the ligations and occasionally BC, these procedures are entirely necessary for those for whom pregnancy would be the next best thing to a death sentence. Vasectomies can also be essential to remove any chance of an accidental pregnancy where a partner's life would be put at risk by carrying a child.

I'm not particularly well-educated on the finer points of Catholic theology in this area, but I seem to vaguely recollect that failing to adequately support and protect a child is regarded as a sin as well. As are suicidal thoughts and behaviours (which presumably includes allowing yourself or spouse to fall pregnant if doing so is likely to result in serious illness or death). Can't really win, I guess, or is one sin greater than the other?
  • castadiva
    Options

Well, including coverage in an insurance package and actually doing it are very different things. A hospital is not required to have every service available - they all have their own specialties. Of course, a pharmacy might be a different ,matter.

Well said. That was my next point. There's a very big difference between requiring a medic/medical practice to perform/provide services that are morally repugnant to them and requiring an employer to provide insurance which covers employees for procedures and treatments that are their own personal choice. One requires direct involvement in the 'sin', the other does not.
  • Espressocycle
    Options
    My grandmother had a weak heart and had several stillbirths and miscarriages. Good Catholic that she was, she refused to use birth control, even after her doctor told her another pregnancy could kill her. The priest said that if she did die from pregnancy, it was just God's will. I think my grandfather finally went and got a vasectomy so it would be his sin and not hers. However, I do wonder how much longer she could have lived had she not put her body through all that in order to follow the rules of a bunch of celibate men.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

I have to say that I know many medics who would disagree with you on that - in some cases, particularly the ligations and occasionally BC, these procedures are entirely necessary for those for whom pregnancy would be the next best thing to a death sentence. Vasectomies can also be essential to remove any chance of an accidental pregnancy where a partner's life would be put at risk by carrying a child.

I'm not particularly well-educated on the finer points of Catholic theology in this area, but I seem to vaguely recollect that failing to adequately support and protect a child is regarded as a sin as well. As are suicidal thoughts and behaviours (which presumably includes allowing yourself or spouse to fall pregnant if doing so is likely to result in serious illness or death). Can't really win, I guess, or is one sin greater than the other?

Yes, with a long explanation I can see how in some cases birth control methods are used to "potentially" protect someone's life. BUT

I was trying to make the distinction that these aren't emergency/lifesaving procedures like heart surgery or removing a burst appendix. Those arent elective in any stretch of the imagination.

I do think a hospital ought to have to save people's lives. If I come in with a knife poking out of my chest, the hospital shouldn't have the right to refuse to treat me, since their refusal will likely cost my life. But their refusal to do someone's vasectomy isn't in that same category of care. Nobody will DIE if they don't get a vasectomy.
  • castadiva
    Options

Yes, with a long explanation I can see how in some cases birth control methods are used to "potentially" protect someone's life. BUT

I was trying to make the distinction that these aren't emergency/lifesaving procedures like heart surgery or removing a burst appendix. Those arent elective in any stretch of the imagination.

I do think a hospital ought to have to save people's lives. If I come in with a knife poking out of my chest, the hospital shouldn't have the right to refuse to treat me, since their refusal will likely cost my life. But their refusal to do someone's vasectomy isn't in that same category of care. Nobody will DIE if they don't get a vasectomy.

I'd quibble, but I get what you're trying to say. Nonetheless, I think a distinction exists and must be acknowledged between forcing medical providers to perform procedures they disagree with on moral grounds (although that's a slippery slope I don't have time right now to go in to) and requiring employers to provide comprehensive health insurance.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    It's just part of access to a comprehensive preventive health care plan - churches aren't required, just religious-oriented hospitals, universities, and organizations, right?

How many Catholics are hard-core against contraception in the first place? And how many employees of those hospitals, universities, and organizations are anti-contraception Catholics?
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    It's just part of access to a comprehensive preventive health care plan - churches aren't required, just religious-oriented hospitals, universities, and organizations, right?

How many Catholics are hard-core against contraception in the first place? And how many employees of those hospitals, universities, and organizations are anti-contraception Catholics?

This is what I focused on. It's for large businesses. Any large hospital, I don't care what saints name they've slapped on it, operates with a profit motive. So they've already ignored the teachings of Christ from the word jump. You may disagree with me but show me the bible passage where Jesus says "Yea though many require a healing touch be sure that they have adequate coverage beforehand."

They aren't refusing to employ people who've had a divorce. They aren't closed on Sundays. The gift shops are stocked with graven images.

If they're going to ignore that many commandments and teachings based on what's easy and profitable I see no reason not to continue the trend when it comes to helping their workers.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

So the real struggle is between whose rights are more important? The patient's desire for an elective procedure or medication, versus the doctor/hospital/pharmacist's desire not to sin (from their point of view, giving these procedures or medications is sinning)?

If the hospital wants to base their policies on "sins", they shoulding be receiving anything from the government.
  • loved11
    loved11 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    to answer your question, the teaching is that if you are catholic and contracepting for birth control reasons (some women take the pill for different medical conditions) you may not receive communion, because you are considered in a perpetual state of sin with no intention of ending the sin. You also can go to confession and confess it but without the intent to stop it is taught that you may not receive communion. That is about it. You are not punished or excommunicated. Some priests will still say that it is your personal choice to receive or not, and there is certainly not a Eucharist Police making sure everyone is free of sin to receive. Being a ex-catholic its all sounds so silly now.

They are only be required to cover not force anyone to take it as Bahet stated. What kills me though is that the leaders of the Catholic Church seem to be so out of touch with their parish. The majority of the Catholic Church actually supports health insurance covering birth control and according to a recent survey 98% of sexually active Catholic women have used it. Yet the Catholic leaders are in an uproar about having to provide health insurance that covers it. I actually read this in the paper over the weekend but the article below states the same thing. When do we start realizing that what may have been appropriate 3000 years ago is not appropriate now? I do have a question though. Since the Catholic Church doesn't believe in birth control, if they discover that a woman is using it, what happens? Is she punished? Is she forced to repent or exiled? I'm asking simply because I honestly don't know and I'm curious since such a large number of the female population of the Catholic Church are going against it's beliefs anyway.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120208/NEWS07/120208008/Survey-Majority-of-Catholics-support-including-birth-control-in-health-care-plans
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options

Nothing happens. Not at my Church anyway, but it's pretty liberal for a Catholic Church. I don't know what other Churches do. Ours never makes anyone feel shameful, unwelcome, or like "evil sinners" - unlike many others I've attended. They openly welcome all.

My husband and I attended a pre-cana course there (after we were already married civilly - another thing they were fine with) and they touched on the birth control issue but didn't say you MUST not use birth control, they said the PREFERRED method is some other natural method I didn't pay much attention to... They did not say it was a sin or anything like that or to stop using birth control, but again, my Church is a little different than most.
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    i was born and raised a Catholic. with every pregnancy I was in danger. so after a couple of miscarriages and finally two c-sections I had my tubes tied. I was told by our parrish priest that there was no redemption for me and I would not be going to heaven. I asked him who would take care of my children if I were to die early in life as the result of another pregnancy. His answer - God would provide. I believe that was the last time I went to a Catholic church.

If the catholic hospital is not going to provide all services for the community in which they are built then they should receive no tax payer funds or civil services from that community. They already receive a tax free status an other exemptions that a "public" hospital does not receive.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    i was born and raised a Catholic. with every pregnancy I was in danger. so after a couple of miscarriages and finally two c-sections I had my tubes tied. I was told by our parrish priest that there was no redemption for me and I would not be going to heaven. I asked him who would take care of my children if I were to die early in life as the result of another pregnancy. His answer - God would provide. I believe that was the last time I went to a Catholic church.

If the catholic hospital is not going to provide all services for the community in which they are built then they should receive no tax payer funds or civil services from that community. They already receive a tax free status an other exemptions that a "public" hospital does not receive.

Gotta love it. I was kicked out of the Greek Orthdox chuch for marrying a catholic....THE HORROR! These cults are something else.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options

I don't blame you for no longer attending. This is why I stopped going to Church years ago - the preachy, judgmental, holier than thou attitude - and my late brother was gay and they were very unwelcoming towards him.... I only recently started going back because I finally found a Catholic Church that is not like any I've been to before - they very openly welcome everyone - including the gay community. A friend of my husbands ( a Catholic priest) says the Church we attend is full of quacks... and from his comments about us not having a "proper" marriage, and not doing things the "right" way etc, I wasn't surprised... but I disagree.

It's too bad more Churches aren't open and accepting instead of closed minded and condemning. Their words and actions drive people away VS making people feel warm and welcome. Who wants to go to a place where they're made to feel like crap?
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    But they receive funding from tax money. Is this not a violation of separtion of church and state?

B-b-b-b-ut that's different! How will we survive without govt money? (something that is ACTUALLY against Christ's teaching)

I would be more in favour of it if it were ACTUALLY part of the Bible. Except it's not. It's something the Catholic Church made up.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    This new "controversy" is following a predictable pattern. The Obama administration does a careful analysis on an issue, engages in a vigorous internal debate, and comes up with what they think is a "best fit" solution based to a great extent on past practices. The republicans and conservatives use the issue to create a phony "outrage" scenario, Big Chief Boner puts on a new coat of orange war paint and starts crying, and the Fox News Wurlitzer has all pipes a'blazing.

The average person-- who has likely never given this issue a moment's thought--now feels compelled to weigh in with an "opinion".

The ruling by the HHS department closely matches guidelines that have existed for years in numerous states across the country, including red states like Georgia. Yet, all of a sudden, it's an "attack on religion". It's no wonder no one takes these guys seriously.

And there is nothing like a bunch of old guys who have never had sex demanding that they have exclusive rights to control the behavior of women.

Studying the neuroses of Catholic bishops could keep an entire university of Ph D Psychology students busy for a lifetime.