Starting Dr Pick's 30 Day Diet Next Week

Options
Anyone interested in joining me? I read "Are You Tired And Wired" a few months ago after several years of bouncing from dr to dr for sleeping disorders. A couple months ago, I asked my dr to check my cortisol and hormone levels. He replied that he didn't know anything about cortisol. I finally saw a naturopath and after 2 years of being misdiagnosed and pumped full of drugs that I didn't need and he diagnosed me with Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome. I've been on supplements since, and am ready to try the 30-day program because I have an official diagnosis, now.

I've been into fitness all my life and think that, no matter what, it looks like a decent and doable program. I just have a library book. I'll get the groceries this weekend and start prepping some of the meals for my work week.

I'll also add some "adrenal friendly" desserts, because I KNOW I can't live without my chocolate!!

I'm going to start posting an online weigh-in on Friday and Tuesday mornings to be accountable, if anyone would like to join in - obviously with the help of MFP. Nobody has to post their weight, but if you would like to toss out any weight loss that you've had, clothes that fit, compliments, feelings of accomplishment, etc. feel free.

Replies

• anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I will have to read that. I was diagnosed a year or so ago, it took forever for it to be diagnosed. My doctor didn't give me any meds or even any info on it. My chiropractor is the one that figured it out, when I told my doctor she just looked at me. She did some tests and said "oh yeah that's it", but she didn't even talk about meds at all.

I'm interested in how everyone else is handling this. What supplements are you taking? What's the 30-day program?
  • jfp34
    jfp34 Posts: 6
    Options
    I didn't get any help from about 11 doctors as they were all stuck on the idea that it was sleeping disorders. I finally saw an awesome naturopath and he started me on Cortisol Manager. The first night I took one, I was convinced I was having the worst night's sleep ever. I describe it as a battle between good and evil going on. But, I woke up and felt competely different. Dare I say "normal"? :smile:

He also has me on Cortrex, that I take in the morning. And, I take Gaba before my commute, although I'm not sure that does anything. I suppose I should throw in that you should consult a professional before trying anything on your own. :wink:

The 30-Day program is a meal plan in Dr Pick's book. It really lays everything out for you, with shopping lists, recipes, etc. I was tentative to try it when I originally read the book, before I was diagnosed, because I was doing so much research and getting so much advice, everything was so convoluted. But, I'm ready to give it a shot and hopefully lose about 15 pounds. The meals aren't "out there" by any means and no more extreme than anything you'd see in something like Eating Clean Magazine (which I've done and like). I just want to try something that caters to adrenal health. It doesn't appear to be a type of diet that could hurt anything and looks pretty healthy.
  • desda
    desda Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of info. Thank you! My doctor has me on Karuna Adrenacort because my levels are so low. They keep wanting to slip me into the Fibromyalgia category...all the trigger points are "hot"...but it figures that they would be anyway when I'm sleep deprived most of the time. I'll check Dr. Pick's book out at our library. Again, thanks for all the great information!:smile::smile:
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. I'm looking for a new naturopath. My last one was a little off the wall. My doctor is just ignorant when it comes to this. I was seeing a neurologist, because I was having seizures but couldn't diagnose anything. I hate to take meds because of the side effects of everything. I will check out the book. Sounds very enlightening. Nice to know other people have this condition. The lady I work with told me "It's a made up disease. It's not real." She works at a pharmacy part time and that's what the pharmacist told her.
  • jfp34
    jfp34 Posts: 6
    Options
    Dr Pick also has some info on this website - http://www.womentowomen.com/adrenalhealth/effectsofhighcortisollevels.aspx . I'm not doing the ($200!) program. But, there is some good info there. And, it makes you feel not quite so alone or that you're not "imagining things".

I'm on day 3 of her diet plan, but don't feel like it really helps with AFS - have actually had bad days since I started it. Although it does seem fairly healthy. But, if it's not going to help with AFS and my meal plans end up being more about weight loss than helping with AFS, I'll probably start with Clean Eating Magazine's meal plans - http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/Meal-Planning/Meal-Plans.aspx. When I do those, I generally feel pretty good, whether it's related to AFS or not. And, don't let the term "clean" scare you if you're thinking about them. They use the term pretty loosely in my opinion.