Dieting and Deployment?

Options
Have any of you successfully lost weight during a deployment? My husband is in Afghanistan and I would love to lose more weight by the time he gets home, but there are days I'm just so depressed I have no motivation to stick with it. I see so many other women gain weight during deployments (my cousins wife gained 60 pounds on his 18 month deployment) that I wonder if I'm setting myself up with impossible goals.

Replies

• bridgeo74
    bridgeo74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    As with all of our weight loss stories, we have all experienced differences in how we deal with deployments.
    I lost about ten pounds, and was hoping to lose a lot more.
    Unfortunately for me, I gained almost 30 when he came home!!! Eating out, making his favorite foods, not making time for myself because I was so excited to be with him......
    Set your goals high and don't get frustrated if you mess up.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    YES!!! lol I seem to do my best when he is deployed, I sometimes dont do much the first couple of months but once I am in a routine I get into it and my goal is to look good for homecoming, I been having issues losing when he is not deployed weird but it works for me lol
  • wendi0719
    wendi0719 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The last time he deployed i lost 15lbs but alot of inches and looked the best i had in years. This deployment unfortunately is the first we had since I had two kids and didn't lose any of the 60 i needed to lose. Our deployment ends very soon and im super excited but very discouraged that im still at this weight. I am trying not to let my weight ruin our homecoming. Its been a long year and i am more than ready to see him!!!!
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm worried that at his home coming I'm going to be worried over my weight and how I look. I really want him to be surprised and happy with how much I've lost.
  • CassOfAllTrades
    CassOfAllTrades Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm currently losing weight. I'm with you, my biggest motivation is that I want to feel HOT when he comes home, not self-conscious. It's been pretty easy since my kids won't eat the same things as I do anyway, so I make their dinner and then I can make my low-cal foods. When DH is home I'm making huge dinners with his favorite stuff and end up eating too much.
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I've always been pregnant before he left. lol He knocks me up and leaves. I've found it hard to diet with him around. I sometimes make 2 meals and such. I feel like if he wasnt here i'd eat out less and could eat all the crazy health food i wanted.
  • iamihobo
    iamihobo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I think what I've decided to do is that even though I really want him to notice, and I want him to see the difference of my body. I'm not doing this for him. I'm doing this for me.

I need to do it to like myself and feel better about my body - which will show when he comes home. He'll Know that something has changed even if he can't tell that I lost weight (which he better! LOL I'm shooting for like 45lbs, he'd be blind if he didn't notice) But anyway, I really decided that this is all about me. This loss will make me better, will get me out of the scary Obese section of BMI counting, and I will feel like I look like I fit next to him. If I hinge my excitment on him, I might be disappointed.
  • jenny95662
    Options
    It was not easy he was gone 6 months and i just kinds felt bad for myself for the first 2 months but then i tried to use my depression as a weapon lol when i was sad i would go take a walk or just do some steps on my stepper in fron t of the tv or do something instead of eat. It helped me to use that emotion for something else then cause more harm. Good luck
  • jenny95662
    Options
    As with all of our weight loss stories, we have all experienced differences in how we deal with deployments.
    I lost about ten pounds, and was hoping to lose a lot more.
    Unfortunately for me, I gained almost 30 when he came home!!! Eating out, making his favorite foods, not making time for myself because I was so excited to be with him......
    Set your goals high and don't get frustrated if you mess up.

omg me too i gained about 25 when he got back!!
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    For me, I maintained a very low weight when he was deployed. Within a year of him coming back I'm up 20+ pounds. When he was gone I didn't have junk food in the house and he didn't influence my eating habits (he eats nothing but crap) . Not that I blame him fully, but I have little self control, that's why I just didn't buy the stuff. I was also anxious and depressed a lot and when I get that way I don't eat a lot.

I'm hoping to start eating better and working out more. We just PCSed and are now settled so I can hopefully get into a routine.
  • tristinasmith
    tristinasmith Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This past deployment I weighed about 152 when my husband left in december, and by february I was down to 143/142 ish. Then by May I was down to 130 and he came home in november and I was 125 by then. I lost the weight slowly but it came off. And then when he got home, I got pregnant, and he deploys again two weeks after the baby is born in August so I will start the process all over again. I chose to leave all processed foods out of my house, forcing myself to cook myself good meals, or having to grab healthy snacks to eat. I ate alot of tuna, and followed a low carb diet for majority of the deployment. I also worked out 4-5 times a week with two days of hard cardio..and him being gone and waiting for him to come home just made me want to work harder. I also worked a full time job at the hospital and went to school full time. Our husbands really appreciate the fact that we try, so just put forth your best effort and I just know he will be happy :)! Also this is my first pregnancy and because I am in good workout routine and eating habits I have only gained 2 pounds in my first 14 weeks, so I believe the life change is really what helps us in the end, just our husbands being gone is our motivation :)