Poorly dog HELP! Please

Options
Morning or evening :)

Hope you can advise. I have a 5 year old Male Rottweiler (Mr Yoda) , hes not been Castrated. 3 weeks ago i noticed blood in his poo, it was bright red (fresh blood) I took him to the vets who said he might hav an inflamed bowel. i put him on a chicken and rice diet. The following day i noticed drops of blood on the floor, looked like it was coming out of his penis. I took him back to the vets and they put him on Antibiotics as ??? UTI.

I kept him on chicken and rice with antibiotics for 5 days and i blood stopped. :) so for nearly two weeks he was fine.

2days ago i noticed he was drinking alot more water than normal, i put it down to the heating being on inside as its very cold. Yesterday there was blood dripping out again this time alot. He does not appear to be in pain but is not himself. I took him back to the vets who gave him more antibiotics and a hormone injection. He checked his urine and as i already new there was alot of blood in it. So he has haematuria as well as fress blood leaking. The vet said go back in one month. I dont feel comfortable with what he said. As my last rottweiler collaped on a walk one day and he never came home :( RIP Rocky. When they opperated on Rocky he was Full of cancer that had probably started on his prostate. Do you think i should get anther opinion, or wait the month.

I dont have any Insurance as they want £90 -$143 a month and i cant even afford house insurance anymore. But i will pay some how to get my baby boy better.

Anyway thank you for your time x

Replies

• catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    personally I would seek a second opinion, leaving the next appointment so far ahead just doesnt sound right.

There are lots of vet techs on here, there is actually a group, see if you can locate it.

got it! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/603-vet-techs
  • traceyx69
    Options
    Thank you. I will search now.x
  • SlimKim11
    SlimKim11 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Oh no! I hope he gets better soon (for both of your sakes). It is so stressful when one of our furry children are sick. Kind of like when babies are sick....they can't tell you how they feel. :( I agree with the second opinion...especially since he has been on antibiotics already. Hope you can find the vet tech group and get some good advice. I'll pray for you and your pup. Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

~Kim
  • EdithClark
    Options
    I have no knowledge on the subject, so I couldn't say. I definately agree that you should get a second opinion. It doesn't seem right to let a dog bleed like that for a month. I can say that I love rotties. Two of my favorite dogs are rotties (not mine, but good friends' dogs). I know that if raised and treated right, they will be the most loving and protective companions. They're also so smart, and just as playful as they are big! Good luck, and keep us updated on what's going on.
  • angw7
    angw7 Posts: 69
    Options
    I have a beautiful baby at home too, she is a 8 year old black lab and we are lucky that the vet we use is fabulous. She saved her life when she suffered from a burst uterus a couple of years ago that could have simply killed her if he hadn't been quick enough to operate.
    I seriously use another opinion and not wait a month personally. I know the cost if a huge factor but you have to think of what will happen if he has something bad that is too advanced to operate in a month time when you could do something today and have it sorted hopefully.

I feel for you both and really hope that it's nothing like your current vet is saying.
    Good Luck :)
  • Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I'm thinking you'll probably see this faster than in the vet techs group. If you are ever uncomfortable with the state of your animal you should contact the vet. You're obviously not happy with how the initial vet is responding so I'd say for the sake of your own psyche, see another vet. What's the worst that can happen? A bit of a bill and some peace of mind.

It does seem a quite a concern, did the vet explain why he would be leaking so much blood freely? Did they do any tests to diagnose a UTI? Is he having trouble urinating? I guess I'm only asking for the sake of nosiness, but really if you feel like you're not being heard or they don't appreciate your concern, don't feel bad seeing someone else.

Edit: I think first I'd call my initial vet and ask him to clarify his condition and why he is bleeding the way he is and really outline your concerns. If you still don't feel comfortable with his degree of treatment, go on elsewhere if you please. If nothing you'll get more information for the new vet for your first consult.