Read research on running mechanics (foot strike)

Options
CaptainMFP
CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
If you listen to a lot of coaches, fitness gurus, and obsessive runners, there are a LOT of strong opinions on the specific mechanics of where your foot strikes (heel or forefoot) when you run. Many people are adamant that heel is universally bad...the problem here is there is almost no actual data on this...just a bunch of anecdotal information about barefoot vs. shod running and personal accounts.

So yesterday in the NY Times blogs I found this: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/08/why-runners-get-injured/?src=me&ref=general.

I have read the abstract of the paper, and it reaches the following conclusions: there is a higher frequency of repetitive injury in heel strike runners but no difference in frequency of traumatic injury based on foot mechanics. Other factors (age, sex, miles run), however, also correlate tightly with injury frequency. When you combine the author's comments from the blog interview with the content of the abstract, the s best conclusions appear to be (1) forefoot striking is generally better but (2) may not be best for everyone and (3) a change from heel to forefoot striking should be done very gradually, as the transition can also cause injury.

Keep in mind this study published in Medicine & Science in Sports and Exercise is limited (52 cross-country runners at Harvard) but as it is actually data based, it gives a much more reasonable account of what is and is not factual than is typically espoused. Just an FY for runners interested in the real data behind what we're told to do (as opposed to the emotional push behind what we're told to do.)

(For those interested, I can expand on how the change from one strike pattern to the other can increase the risk of injury, as this is a function of bone organization...let me know if anyone's interested...)

Replies

• betam
    betam Posts: 16
    Options
    INTERESTED!!! After I read Born to Run I' have been a lot more concious of where my foot falls when I run. Which was very weird for me when prior to having my son I didn't have any issues with a neutral shoe but after going through labor had some knee and ankle problems. Went to a specialty running shoe store and was put in a stability shoe. Knee and ankle pain went away within a month and haven't had a problem since then as long as I am running with my stability shoes. I'd love to try going to a neutral shoe and eventually a transition shoe, possibly the vibrams but I am not so sure I want to have to rebuild the way I r un from the ground up, again. I am running the fastest I have ever run in my life right now and I really don't want to stop! I'm already having to build back up from baby and then severe carwreck.
  • alisonst76
    Options
    I would be interested. I run 3-4 times a week and have been running for years. I recently just moved to a transition shoe. But I'm not a true believer in barefoot.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    This was just really interesting to me because I'm in a neutral shoe and am pretty comfortable with forefoot landing, but my IT band issues have really dampened my ability to run more than 4 - 5 miles at a pop. At the same time, the passion for barefoot running is mostly just that; to see some real data was a breath of fresh air. :smile: If I can get the full article I'll pass on what I gain. (My school likely doesn't have it in our library, and our relationship with the University of Nevada isn't exactly share-and-share-alike.