Washington, doin it right

Options
maab_connor
maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
Washington is the 7th state to legalize marriage equality. my smile is so big right now! the formality of the Governor's signature is going to happen Friday, but he's already promised to sign it.

\o/ \o/ \o/

seven down. forty three to go.

gayrights.jpg

Replies

• KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I've always heard the phrase "So goes California, so goes everybody else..." I'm hoping this is true considering that California just came to the light side! I'm so happy to be seeing so much progress and I hope to see a lot more!
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    While it's nice, the earliest marriages could happen would be June, and if there are enough signatures for a referendum that's being attempted, there won't be marriages until a voter initiative in November--and then only if the vote goes our way.
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I figure hell will freeze over before it becomes legal in Texas.
  • LoveToWork
    LoveToWork Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    As a 65 year old this is amazing what is happening. I never would have believed this could happen when I was young. When will Oklahoma get there? Just before or after Texas?
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I've always heard the phrase "So goes California, so goes everybody else..." I'm hoping this is true considering that California just came to the light side! I'm so happy to be seeing so much progress and I hope to see a lot more!

We did? :/ I don't think we came to the light side at all. California sucked it up big time in passing prop 8. If only we could split off the inland areas of california and give them to nevada or something. I'm still pretty disappointed in my fellow Californians.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i like that seattle is now a viable option for possible future settling downs....
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I was so angry when Prop 8 passed, but still hopeful that it will be what brings it to the Supreme Court. I am usually a huge optimist but @thekarens is right, people in Texas won’t have access to the same rights until the Supreme Court gives it to them.

But congrats…. It is great news!

The only downside is that if marriage becomes legal in Pennsylvania my mom will be on me to finally settle down. Yikes!
  • TweedleDebo
    TweedleDebo Posts: 423 Member
    Options

Or South Carolina.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I was so angry when Prop 8 passed, but still hopeful that it will be what brings it to the Supreme Court. I am usually a huge optimist but @thekarens is right, people in Texas won’t have access to the same rights until the Supreme Court gives it to them.

But congrats…. It is great news!

The only downside is that if marriage becomes legal in Pennsylvania my mom will be on me to finally settle down. Yikes!

Its going to the supreme court for sure and this is probably the only thing ever that I've had even remotely strong faith in - I really think the supreme court will uphold these rulings and overturn it as unconstitutional. Totally believe it will happen. It'll be a couple years before it actually makes it through though I think (This process is sloooooooow). Its going to happen though. I'm a believer.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options

Or South Carolina.

Or pretty much any of the "Bible Belt" states. If only we could split Northern Virginia from the rest of the backward state, it would already be a reality...
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options

I hear ya :sick:
  • brettle1
    brettle1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    WTG Washington!! If you haven't seen Rep. Maureen Walsh's speech from the debate, you should take a gander http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbmbdWK6338
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options

Woo hoo, Washington!