Pancake Day (UK)

shakybabe
shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
Not sure how many in this group are from UK and celebrate Shrove Tuesday with pancakes but I found a nice little site when searching for a gluten free pancakes.

http://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/recipes/gluten-free-pancakes

Replies

• Hello, yes from the UK and I practically live off pancakes...but homemade and they are actually nicer than bought. In fact today I had one with shredded chicken, chopped spinach, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and a little pesto and it was gorgeous! I use Dove Farm flour and goat's milk and an egg...self-raising if I want them more like griddle cakes or scotch pancakes, plain flour if I want savoury or with lemon!
    Genuinely nicer than wheat flour home made!
    Don't know if that is any use to you?!
    :happy:
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Dove Farm have a nice flour then? can you post link to flour you get for your pancakes? I tend to have the traditional style with plain flour (when I used regular flour) and just love them drizzled with golden syrup!
  • I love doves farm flour...use it all the time...they make amazing pancakes too! can't tell they're gluten free.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    I love this pancake recipe:

Buckwheat Pancakes
    Written by Grain Free Living
    This makes a thick fluffy pancake that works well as a sliced bread substitute.
    Ingredients

1/2 cup buckwheat, freshly finely ground OR buckwheat flour
    1 - 2 tblsp potato starch or arrowroot
    pinch sea salt
    1/2 tsp bi-carb / baking soda
    1/4 tsp cream of tarter
    1/2 tsp vinegar (apple cider vinegar is best) or lemon juice
    1 tsp or splash of olive oil
    water

Method

Whisk or sieve flour, starch, salt, cream of tarter and bi-carb together.
    Add enough water to make a fairly thick mixture - it should be like a thick pourable cream consistency

Add vinegar and oil, combine well

In preheated non-stick frypan, pour in enough mixture to make a round "bread slice". Cook until bubbles appear and then flip and cook other side. Cook slightly longer for "toast" so the outside is crisp.

This thicker mixture makes pancakes that taste very similar to slices of toast or bread.

Works well for sandwiches or a base for breakfast eggs or butter and jam/honey.

Convert
    This website has been developed as a community resource for those who, due to health reasons or preference, are following a grain free lifestyle. We hope you find it helpful and inspiring!
    COMMON SENSE REMINDER: The views expressed in this website are personal opinion only. We are not health practitioners. You should always check with your doctor or qualified health practitioner, and be prepared to take full responsibility for your own health, actions and choices in life.
    General Recipe Notes
    All recipes measurements are in METRIC. If you wish to convert to imperial please use the convertor tool supplied on each recipe page and use the same (either all metric or all imperial) for the whole recipe.

Some points for American readers on metric measurements are:
    1 cup is 250ml which is slightly larger than the imperial 1 cup of an 8 oz measure. 1 tblspoon is 20 ml which again is slightly larger than the imperial tablespoon measure of 15ml. In most recipes this should not make too much of a difference, especially if you exchange all metric for all imperial. Cookie recipes need accuracy however so if your cookies are not turning out (either too soft or spreading too much) the problem will most likely be the measures.
    Nearly all recipes are cooked in a moderate 180°C oven, which is 350 °F / Gas 4.

* Advertise on Grain Free Living
    * Contact
    * Find Us On Facebook
    * About "Us"

Copyright 2004-2011 Grain Free Living. All Rights Reserved.
  • Maybe I'm a few days late, but I had to share this recipe when I saw this thread. For those of you who can eat oatmeal-- these are my husband's and my favorite new saturday morning recipe:

Pumpkin Oat Pancakes via Kath Eats Real Food:

1/4 cup old fashioned oats
    1/4 cup egg whites
    1/4 cup pumpkin puree
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp vanilla
    Mix all ingredients together. Pour onto a hot skillet. Treat like a normal pancake. Eat!

Seriously, these are genius and I don't even miss normal pancakes. The only thing I do differently is a teeny dash of nutmeg and using half vanilla, half almond extract. We usually top them with fresh blueberries and a little syrup.

http://www.katheats.com/favorite-foods/pumpkin-oatmeal-pancake