Perfect long distance running technique

Options
mikeyrp
mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
I just found this on you tube... It summarises everything I have learnt about good technique in two and a half minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx6x2cD6Y8Q&feature=related

Its worth watching several times and then on your next long run mentally play back the video, making sure you have each bit right. Repeat about every 10 minutes once you get tired - you'll be amazed at how much difference it makes!

Replies

• ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting!
  • zilla
    zilla Posts: 46
    Options
    Woo!! Thanks for posting!!
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    Hi Tammy - its exactly like Chi Running - but with out the 1:4 ratio of useful information to hippy nonsense!

I read Chi Running first but I its very hard to recommend someone reads the whole book when they can get most of the benefit from this post... Its still worth a read though - a few gems in amongst the waffle.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I just found this on you tube... It summarises everything I have learnt about good technique in two and a half minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx6x2cD6Y8Q&feature=related

Its worth watching several times and then on your next long run mentally play back the video, making sure you have each bit right. Repeat about every 10 minutes once you get tired - you'll be amazed at how much difference it makes!

What type shoes do you run in? I have some mizunos that I loved untill I found out you shouldnt be stryking on the heel. When I try to strike mid-foot it feels like I bounce back to the heel a little because its pretty springy (if that is even a word). I am bummed because I spent $110 on them!

Thank you for sharing the video. I will absolutly work on it.
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    Actually - I just bought some Mizuno wave riders. They work great for me!

Before that I had some Nike Luner Eclipses - they are well padded and I havent had any injuries since buying them, but I don't have the same feeling of connection with the ground as I do with the Mizunos... I feel very 'planted' with them - with the Nikes I always felt as if I could get a twisted ankle.

I think though you just need to try different shoes and see what works for you. Never go trainer shopping with someone else... they will be bored senseless!!!
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Ya, I have the Wave 11's I think. I want to go to one of those specialty running stores that let you try different ones out on a treadmill. The ones I have just seem so bouncy. They are better now, then when I bought them last year. I've broken them in a bit so they don't have quite as much spring in the step. I would be curious to try a pair of minimalist shoes sometime though.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Minimalist shoes are ideal for this type of running. I run mostly in vibrams and suppliment with Inov8 155s. However, it takes a long time to adapt your feet and lower legs to running in them comfortably.
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    Yeah - I think if I was doing 10K's I would opt for minimalist shoes, but I've been advised against them for long distance running - at least until you've had the time to adapt to them fully.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I can't look at a video and change my form (my brain just isn't wired that way). If I were to change my form, I would need real time feedback.

That said, I feel like it pretty much kick *kitten* despite my heel striking, so I tend to leave well enough alone and keep doing what I do.
  • sunleigh
    sunleigh Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    awesome thanks!! i trained doing the c2k in minimalist shoes and have not gone back...i actually got fitted and they gave me shoes i never wear b/c there is too much support(should of done more research before going to the store). right now my favorite are my brooks green silence, i have pure flow on the way and i just got a pair of vibrams, have not had a chance to take them out yet, next week...