Anyone struggle with eating specific foods now?

Options
dawnkemp58
dawnkemp58 Posts: 34 Member
After my surgery, I have trouble with certain foods, they will not go through my pouch. I cannot eat things like beef, dark meat chicken, fatty meats.. also cannot eat any thing such as potato skins, veggie skins, oranges, grape skins, etc.. list is long.

I therefore find myself eating many of the same foods, and plenty of foods I shouldn't mainly because of this problem.

Anyone else have similar problems?

Replies

• Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    i have problems with buttermilk (comes right back). I became lactose and fat intolerant after surgery. Sometimes, v-8 juice and hard boiled eggs come back, too. I'm like you, I am afraid to try new foods in fear they'll make me sick or give me some major intestinal upset.
  • dawnkemp58
    Options
    Seems funny... I have tried all that I mentioned.. and found out the hard way how these foods work on me. :)
  • cmcravens
    cmcravens Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have been over a yr out and I still have problems with starchy items, bread, pasta, and anything doey. So this is not just right after sugery, it is for now one. Inless you decide to extend it and make it to the point you can eat these things, that could possible stretch your pouch. So me myself I just stay away, and keep doing the things I'm doing and hope that I never get to the place I was at befor.
  • lclowe0808
    lclowe0808 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! :flowerforyou:

This is a great topic. First of all, I have a problem with food in general. I didn't start the "soft mechanical" foods until 6 weeks out from surgery. My progress is a lot slower. I'm still having trouble eating and especially getting the protein in, but it's a daily goal.

Foods that don't agree with you: Our bodies are going through a metamorphosis for months and months after surgery. It's a pretty major thing. My doctor told me last week that one day you'll be able to eat something and the next you can't get it down. One day it'll taste good, the next not so much (nothing tastes good to me right now). Your body, taste buds, etc are going through a constant change in that first year. You want to make sure that the bite you put into your mouth is not larger than a dime ( and that's really hard to do sometimes). The opening is not that big so if you try to swallow something larger, it kinda gets clogged up in there.

One of the pieces of advice that my doctor gave me was if something didn't sit well with me or taste good, wait 2 weeks and try it again. I'm that way with eggs right now. The last time was a horrible experience in the bathroom, so I'm leary of trying them again. I'll really have to be in the mood to attempt it again.

I am lactose intolerant as well and even though I use the Lactaid milk, my tummy still sours and I feel icky for 30-60 minutes after eating.

So far (knock on wood), I haven't had any problems with rice or bread (but I haven't had them much either). Rice should be brown, bread should be toasted and pasta should be wheat.

Everyone is different, but there are over-arching themes that we all face that are similar.

Trying new foods: My recommendation here is take really small bites and wait atleast 2 minutes between bites. If something is not going to sit well, you will know within 5-10 minutes. I tried some breaded popcorn chicken (shame on me) and it took like 2 bites to realize that was a big mistake (the rest of the package went in the garbage).

Bariatric surgery is a life changing event. I never want to see 275 again and I made a conscious decision to change my life. As part of that commitment, the way I eat and what I eat has definitely changed and I have had to accept these changes with a positive outlook. I want to be healthier, leaner and hopefully add back some years taken away by the obesity.

Beef: I'm not sure when your surgery was, but I was instructed by my dietician to wait 3 months for beef or anything with seeds (like popcorn), or fruits/veggies with hard skins (grapes, corn). I didn't know that and during my full liquid diet was eating pureed soups with beef. It didn't hurt me, but I'm holding off until after my 3 months are up to try it again. For what I can eat, I eat a lot of the same foods right now. But that will change over time....you just have to give it some time.

If there is any else specific that we can provide our layman's advice for, please do write. We are here to support one another.

Have a great Sunday!!!

Hugz

Linda
  • Itfiguresx
    Itfiguresx Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    im a gastric bander, when my restriction is good. bread, chips, and dry meats (pork chop) is a no no :)
  • lclowe0808
    Options
    Well I have just added macaroni & cheese to the list of foods my pouch won't tolerate (in addition to eggs). 3 bites yesterday and up it came. I have had some pasta (WW meals) and tolerated those pretty well. The doctor says if something doesn't go down well, wait 2 weeks and try it again.
  • kimmireads
    kimmireads Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Since I'm new here. I'm not sure who has had what surgery, but I've had a band and now a sleeve gastrectomy. Everyone is a little different when it comes to what you can tolerate.

For Linda: Have you tried a child size spoon? Helps to get those bites smaller.

As you probably already know from your pre-surgery seminars bands, sleeves, and bypass all have different rates in which food is introduced. When it comes to pasta and things like rice BE CAREFUL! They tend to expand after eating. One thing the dietician and I spoke about was if I enjoyed those (which I LOVE pasta) to try over cooking them a bit instead of "el dente" (sp?) and to keep amounts of those extremely small. When it comes to meat fish and chicken are a whole lot easier than dryer more fiberous meats like pork and beef. I ended up with a visit to the doctor via ER when I over did having BBQ pork strip and got a piece stuck that I didn't chew well enough when I had my band. The doctor, dietician, and support staff always reminds everyone chew, chew, chew, and when you think you've chewed enough chew a little more then swallow. :smile:

I tend to have trouble with bread -- I don't eat a whole lot of it anymore. For me bread is better toasted. I don't have much trouble with flatbread. I've learned if I truly want a sandwich, bun or roll to keep it small and not go overboard with the bread.

Hope all are doing well. :smile:
  • dawnkemp58
    Options
    I have problems still with so many foods.. for instance I wanted italian sausage for dinner, but I know when I eat it I have to skin it, make sure it is cooked enough- cannot eat the veggies, and very little bread.

So today I cooked the sausage then let them simmer in the crock pot for hours,.. I think this did help.. they were soft, over cooked - and that is good for all the fat was cooked out of it.

I have noticed that I can eat SOME beef - sometimes - and it is better when it is cooked for many hours also, such as in sauces like for pasta and chili.
  • dawnkemp58
    Options
    Since I'm new here. I'm not sure who has had what surgery, but I've had a band and now a sleeve gastrectomy. Everyone is a little different when it comes to what you can tolerate.

For Linda: Have you tried a child size spoon? Helps to get those bites smaller.

As you probably already know from your pre-surgery seminars bands, sleeves, and bypass all have different rates in which food is introduced. When it comes to pasta and things like rice BE CAREFUL! They tend to expand after eating. One thing the dietician and I spoke about was if I enjoyed those (which I LOVE pasta) to try over cooking them a bit instead of "el dente" (sp?) and to keep amounts of those extremely small. When it comes to meat fish and chicken are a whole lot easier than dryer more fiberous meats like pork and beef. I ended up with a visit to the doctor via ER when I over did having BBQ pork strip and got a piece stuck that I didn't chew well enough when I had my band. The doctor, dietician, and support staff always reminds everyone chew, chew, chew, and when you think you've chewed enough chew a little more then swallow. :smile:

I tend to have trouble with bread -- I don't eat a whole lot of it anymore. For me bread is better toasted. I don't have much trouble with flatbread. I've learned if I truly want a sandwich, bun or roll to keep it small and not go overboard with the bread.

Hope all are doing well. :smile:

I also have trouble with bread - same here - it has to be toasted. I also have problems with gummy breads such as soft taco shells.

You mentioned that a child size spoon may help.... I also wanted to mention that for me anyway - it is not the size of the spoon, it is the time I take chewing that matters.
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 7 months out of a band surgery. CANNOT do Chicken what so ever after 5pm. Some days everything is normal, I can eat anything (and things I shouldn't). Other days I can't eat anything. My band is very finicky. Today I had 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast. I've had these several times and have had no problem. Today they sat like a rock in my stomach. Couldn't eat at all until later this evening. Then I opted for Ramen (hot and mushy). Not the greatest nutrition wise but it was something. Tomorrow will be better. Breakfasts are the hardest things in the world for me.
    I have been eating "unnatural" breakfast foods lately, Chicken salad, Beans, Chili. They have lots of protein and fit into my plan really well. Plus, I find that if I consume most of my carbs in the morning I don't crash in the afternoon.
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I am a banster too, and find pretty much the same as everyone. Bread only sits well if it is toasted or very very, crispy crusted- the end piece of a loaf of Italian or French bread is good. Rice does not sit well with me. I can tolerate most other foods but I find that I have learned to eat very slowly. Salad is usually pretty good. Unfortunately, most foods that are not good for me sit very well! I need to be very careful to stay away from those
  • lclowe0808
    Options
    I've had my second EGD and I'm able to eat a little better. I used to be a big bread eater...not so much anymore. The only bread items I really eat are pretzels and Special K crackers on occasion. I can eat rice but potatoes go down easier. I talked to the doctor today and told him sometimes I can only manage to eat 3-4 bites. He said that is normal. Soup is my friend and so are the McDonald's strawberry banana smoothies (I put my protein in them).
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It's been almost 8 months and I still have trouble with chicken (regardless of how it's cooked), and roasts of any kind. I stick to lots of fish and stews. Now that it's getting warmer I will be doing alot of vegetables and cool foods. Tonight it's Baked potatoes and salad. I'm just going to up my protein during the day.
  • cinziapalumbo
    cinziapalumbo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I can't print what I think of that Dr. *#%?#@!%!
    In 1988 I was up to 215# after having my only daughter at 37. I felt ashamed, I hid, I was an emotional eater, my husband at the time was looking elsewhere, I was stressed from a buisness I ran with him...I wanted my life back & body back. My family doc reluctantly referred me (after failing with phentermine etc) and I went to a Dr. *kitten* who told me basically I was hopeless without bariatric surgery. In the end, in order to get the surgery covered by insurance, he told me to put coke cans in my clothes to make the weigh in of 225. At that I should have run out but my self esteem was soo low I would have jumped off a bridge. I had the surgery, suffered 9 days in hospital & horrible scar from total bypass. In the first year I went to 170# but looked great. Surprise....the insurance weight guidlines were way off. I weighed 145 in my youth & starved myself to be 5'8" 125#. :-(
    170# was great...lots of compliments, fit into nice clothes, husband looked at me again. Problem was I was resentful of those who turned their backs on me when I was fat. Also, I could no longer tolerate raw veggies, meats, firm fish.....and I was soo hungry I started eating toast....to soothe my stomach and to soothe my emotions again. I gained weight. After every leg surgery (thank you husband #1 for beatings) I gained 20# & lost 10. See where this is going? I'll save you years of struggle. When I joined this MyFitnessPal a few months ago, I was 253 # at 60 yrs old. Just prior I had an upper GI to make sure my "pouch" was still ok. I had gone for an evaluation to undergo a re-do of my bariatric surgery. The Dr. at University of Washington told all of us at the informational seminar we would be instructed to maintain a 1000 calorie diet for 6 months before surgery, work with a nutritionist etc. I was the smallest of the people there. I realized the only reason surgery works is pain & trouble eating anything but liquids & grueling for the first test. After, if you don't really have a grip on nutrition etc. you gain back more than you started with. There were a lot of people who did that.
    Anyway, my goofy friendly Dr. who told me my pouch & prior surgery from '88 was just fine and what about trying to just not eat a little less every day? I looked at him and before I could loose my temper and get defensive, I saw what he was trying to say. We talked an hour...he cared & explained that if I could substitute a easy to digest proties snack for the toast....like string cheese, I could find I'm less famished. He also confirmed I needed b 12 injections (I give myself) because I had mal-obsorbsion issues.
    He digested counting calories with an app. because its easier.

I did these simple things. No pills, no diet, I just started plugging in what I ate, lost my bulimia, I'm feeling better with lower carbs, higher protien and I have become VERY AWARE of my nutrition.

Since I started using this app I have lost 32# and continue to loose a pound or two a week.

I should NEVER have let them modify my perfectly designed body, and neither should any of you get modified. It hurts you in the long run & a vitamin pill will never make up for it!

Call me if you need to talk. First email me at cjcseattle@ yahoo.com

I don't know if this will ever get read but it felt damned good getting in my 10 cents.

Love,
    Cynthia
  • cinziapalumbo
    cinziapalumbo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    In 1988 I was up to 215# after having my only daughter at 37. I felt ashamed, I hid, I was an emotional eater, my husband at the time was looking elsewhere, I was stressed from a buisness I ran with him...I wanted my life back & body back. My family doc reluctantly referred me (after failing with phentermine etc) and I went to a Dr. *kitten* who told me basically I was hopeless without bariatric surgery. In the end, in order to get the surgery covered by insurance, he told me to put coke cans in my clothes to make the weigh in of 225. At that I should have run out but my self esteem was soo low I would have jumped off a bridge. I had the surgery, suffered 9 days in hospital & horrible scar from total bypass. In the first year I went to 170# but looked great. Surprise....the insurance weight guidlines were way off. I weighed 145 in my youth & starved myself to be 5'8" 125#. :-(
    170# was great...lots of compliments, fit into nice clothes, husband looked at me again. Problem was I was resentful of those who turned their backs on me when I was fat. Also, I could no longer tolerate raw veggies, meats, firm fish.....and I was soo hungry I started eating toast....to soothe my stomach and to soothe my emotions again. I gained weight. After every leg surgery (thank you husband #1 for beatings) I gained 20# & lost 10. See where this is going? I'll save you years of struggle. When I joined this MyFitnessPal a few months ago, I was 253 # at 60 yrs old. Just prior I had an upper GI to make sure my "pouch" was still ok. I had gone for an evaluation to undergo a re-do of my bariatric surgery. The Dr. at University of Washington told all of us at the informational seminar we would be instructed to maintain a 1000 calorie diet for 6 months before surgery, work with a nutritionist etc. I was the smallest of the people there. I realized the only reason surgery works is pain & trouble eating anything but liquids & grueling for the first test. After, if you don't really have a grip on nutrition etc. you gain back more than you started with. There were a lot of people who did that.
    Anyway, my goofy friendly Dr. who told me my pouch & prior surgery from '88 was just fine and what about trying to just not eat a little less every day? I looked at him and before I could loose my temper and get defensive, I saw what he was trying to say. We talked an hour...he cared & explained that if I could substitute a easy to digest proties snack for the toast....like string cheese, I could find I'm less famished. He also confirmed I needed b 12 injections (I give myself) because I had mal-obsorbsion issues.
    He digested counting calories with an app. because its easier.

I did these simple things. No pills, no diet, I just started plugging in what I ate, lost my bulimia, I'm feeling better with lower carbs, higher protien and I have become VERY AWARE of my nutrition.

Since I started using this app I have lost 32# and continue to loose a pound or two a week.

I should NEVER have let them modify my perfectly designed body, and neither should any of you get modified. It hurts you in the long run & a vitamin pill will never make up for it!

Call me if you need to talk. First email me at cjcseattle@ yahoo.com

I don't know if this will ever get read but it felt damned good getting in my 10 cents.

Love,
    Cynthia