Races/Other Competitive fitness events in CA

Options
tameko2
tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
Anyone doing any races or events?

I'm thinking about signing up for the Temecula 5k, mostly because that lines up best with me finishing the C25k program and having a few weeks to improve my time.

Also planning to do the zombie run in temecula in next october.

Replies

• runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Folsom Triathalon in April. Looking to do some 5k and biathalons (bike/run) between now and then, after the first of the year.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I have never done one but would love to do a 5k. does anyone know of any in the sacramento area? thanks
  • SoCalWoman
    SoCalWoman Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I drink wine in temecula :)
  • tameko2
    Options
    I have never done one but would love to do a 5k. does anyone know of any in the sacramento area? thanks
    Quite a few - go to runningintheusa.com and search around the time (make sure you select 5k from the top there or you get ALL races)
    I drink wine in temecula :)

I expect I will do that too! After I run.
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options

There is one in March in Modesto, which is pretty close to Sac. Go online and do a search, or go to a local running or shoe store. A lot of the independents have info on races, etc.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'm entered in the Santa Monica/Venice Christmas run on Saturday. *shudders*

I am not prepared. I am likely going to just walk it. :ohwell:
  • tameko2
    Options
    OMG that 5k looks so cool, I totally want to run that! We are only on week 7 of the C25k but I know I could at least run 25 minutes of it (and surely 30 would be doable).

Trying to talk my boyfriend into it but he is resisting mightily (whiner).
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    If I can do it the morning after my company Xmas party, he can do it! Tell him to MAN UP! Haha
  • tameko2
    Options
    If I can do it the morning after my company Xmas party, he can do it! Tell him to MAN UP! Haha

He says he is too embarrassed to run in front of other people (whinewhinewhine)
  • vespaberrie
    vespaberrie Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I just walk/ran my first 5k... the Silicon Valley Turkey trot. I'm just starting to train to actually run one, hopefully I'll be ready by spring.
    My roommate is trying to convience me to train and run in the run like a diva half marathon next November in Puerto Rico.
    Active.com is a great search engine for local races/ events.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I've got all sorts of stuff coming up:

Holiday Half Marathon (Pomona) this weekend

Maybe a small, local marathon the day after X-mas

Surf City Half (Huntington Beach) in Feb

LA Marathon in March

Fontana Half in June (best race ever)

San Francisco Marathon in July

Hopefully I can drag my kids out for some more 5Ks here and there.
  • mwestonp
    mwestonp Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    @arc918 - That's a lot of events. Great stuff. I'd consider the Surf City half, but I'm not sure I could have enough time to adequately train. I'm curious to hear your feedback on the Fontana Half...what makes it such a good race?
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    @arc918 - That's a lot of events. Great stuff. I'd consider the Surf City half, but I'm not sure I could have enough time to adequately train. I'm curious to hear your feedback on the Fontana Half...what makes it such a good race?

Surf City is a good race. The full marathon course is a little boring for my tastes (too much back & forth along PCH), but the half is awesome. The used to have a 5K as well, but it got too crowded with all the events so now it just the half & the full.

I find Fontana is awesome for a few reasons:
    1) Entry fees are really cheap - I paid $30 last year (and got a shirt, a hat and a finishers medal)
    2) Race is old school and low key - in this era of giant, overpriced races, I find it charming and refreshing (but that's just me)
    3) Course is a crazy downhill elevation drop of 2,100' - I love running downhill. At my pace, the drop is worth ~ 5 minutes. I ran a 1:28:48 (6:47 avg pace) there last year. That was probably worth a 1:32-1:33 on a flat course.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options

Surf City is a good race. The full marathon course is a little boring for my tastes (too much back & forth along PCH), but the half is awesome. The used to have a 5K as well, but it got too crowded with all the events so now it just the half & the full.

I find Fontana is awesome for a few reasons:
    1) Entry fees are really cheap - I paid $30 last year (and got a shirt, a hat and a finishers medal)
    2) Race is old school and low key - in this era of giant, overpriced races, I find it charming and refreshing (but that's just me)
    3) Course is a crazy downhill elevation drop of 2,100' - I love running downhill. At my pace, the drop is worth ~ 5 minutes. I ran a 1:28:48 (6:47 avg pace) there last year. That was probably worth a 1:32-1:33 on a flat course.

Oh really... I may have to look into that.
  • mmcperez
    mmcperez Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Tough Mudder on Feb 2012 in Temecula
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Jurassic Classic mud run, Saturday May 19th 2012. In Hemet Ca.

http://runforthemud.com/
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I've done 2 5K's... fun fun fun...

Ladies, this one sounds really fun and in Santa Cruz... http://www.runsheisbeautiful.com/index.html
    the old info is still up and it looks like the 2012 race will be in March!!!! Come join us... should be really fun!
    Let me know if you will run this... and hopefully, I can meet up with other mfp runners!!!
  • alindar
    Options
    I'll be doing the survivor mud run in nor cal mid April! I'm nervous but it sounds like lots of fun. Now gotta get in better shape so I can survive. How's the couch to 5k? I have an app for it but have yet to try it.